Turbo ZC? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Best D for turbo??
DOHC ZC 131 53.47%
D15 NON VTEC 7 2.86%
D15B VTEC 16 6.53%
D16 NON VTEC 28 11.43%
D16 VTEC 63 25.71%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
I <3 TIG Welding

Rep Power: 24 9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 9295EJ-t Send a message via Skype™ to 9295EJ-t
Default Turbo ZC?

a friend of mine has a zc in his ef, and he is puTtin a b16 in within 2 months from now, and i was wonderin how good a zc would be boosted, also what would be involved in puttin a zc motor in a 95 ej dx (d15b7). I was thinkin about takin it of his hands when he does the swap... he wants $400... and i figured that it would be a pretty basic and simple swap, considering it would be D for D.. something like.. out with the old, in with the new.. what am i gonna need for this swap?????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

9295EJ-t is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2005, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

the DOHC ZC loves boost, your friend really isnt upgrading to a b16.

a buddy of mine made 240whp on his ZC @ 9psi with a ct26 supra turbo. he turned up the boost to 12 but never dynoed it, car was fast but i dont recommend you do this as he was trying to fry the motor on purpose. that same motor lives on in a hatch w a greddy turbo and is fine today though!
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2005, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
I <3 TIG Welding

Rep Power: 24 9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyHabitzCRX
the DOHC ZC loves boost, your friend really isnt upgrading to a b16.

a buddy of mine made 240whp on his ZC @ 9psi with a ct26 supra turbo. he turned up the boost to 12 but never dynoed it, car was fast but i dont recommend you do this as he was trying to fry the motor on purpose. that same motor lives on in a hatch w a greddy turbo and is fine today though!
so you recomend zc over d15b7 for turbo??

Old 07-17-2005, 03:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Non Vtec motors seem to like boost better. They are also cheaper
Old 07-17-2005, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

you are crazy.
Richie_A_19 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2005, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
I <3 TIG Welding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_A_19
you are crazy.

vtec opens up for boost..

Old 07-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Non Vtec motors respond to turbo better overall.....when tuned correctly

Your allready putting preasure in your intake manifold....Theres no need for your valves to suck in more air and have longer durration.........

NON vtec with a turbo is generally the best way to go....

You can tune the engine based on the turbo and the way the engine breathes........(not irregularity and variation like vtec)

ZC's are very good candidates for turbo.....as long as you swap the pistons....
Those domed pistons keep the compression pretty high......
86-87 Teg pistons work well.....and there dished....

Yu can pull out some good number's
Black Mountain is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
I <3 TIG Welding

old integra pistons? neat.. junk yard?

Old 07-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

Yup.......they are a flat/ dished design.......88-89 teg pistons are the same as ZC's...

They are hella domed.........

Looks like 2 fat knuckles on each one...

Just enought cut out so the pistons and valves don't get into a fight...

I am sure there are better ways to do it thought.......

I Honestlly think those "Vitara Pistons" would work well in a ZC....

Just lower the compression..........

If your really worried get eagle rods........

ZC's are pretty durable beasts.....Those things are rock solid......

the weakest link is the rods.....witch can hold up stock to about 250 ponies......
Of course nothing is gauranteed.......

Also I am not saying....
You shouldn't do a vtec turbo...........

Non vtech is just simpler...and way easier to tune......

To have vtec done correctlly...You need hours of dyno time and a very good dial in vtec controller......and It will still wont be perfect.....

with a non- vtec motor...

Your engine sucks in the same ratio of air and fuel no matter what rpm or condition.

So when you turbo you just increase fuel accordinglly..(when you dyno it)..

and some say...."well with vtec you don't need as much boost" ....

well with no vtec you pack alot more presure in there since you dont have to worry about your engine all of a sudden sucking in more air/fuel

A stable air/fuel ratio is crutial in a turbo setup....

Yes any d-series exaust parts will bolt up perfectlly but the ports are sometimes a little off.....

Just get the exaust gasket fot your car.....line up the bolt holes to the part....

and port them out a little bit if needed...
Black Mountain is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2005, 05:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
CRX-ZC

i love my zc
  Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Blackbob

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRX-ZC
i love my zc
Same here,long live the ZC/A1 !!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

these motors rock!! i beat a 91 civic hatch with a b16 and a 60 shot of nitrous with my boosted d16a1 at 6.5 psi. im gonna build the bottom end up, port and polish the head, and turn the boost up a bit more.
staticchmbr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Blackbob

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticchmbr
these motors rock!! i beat a 91 civic hatch with a b16 and a 60 shot of nitrous with my boosted d16a1 at 6.5 psi. im gonna build the bottom end up, port and polish the head, and turn the boost up a bit more.

How much boost ? I want to run 30 pounds and then a 350 shot to top it off ::grins::. Not like I gotta worry about blowin it up. I'mma build the poop outta it and if it does blow. I can get another really cheap WITH TRANNY !

~BB~
Old 07-28-2005, 11:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
I <3 TIG Welding

30psi............ hmm.. *cough* race fuel only *cough*

you are talkin a lot of money to build a d for 30psi... 30psi and 350 shot, would put you around 800hp.. i dont think thats gonna happen bob..

Old 07-29-2005, 02:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

ZC's suck for lack of camshaft choices.........make a nice NA replacement for a Si motor..........

Then add 10 psi and the ZC really shines!!!!!!!!!

30 psi will get you 400 whp, then a 250 shot on top nets 600 whp.........been done, a few years ago.

Spending 10 grand on a D series????? WHY???????

PS in a full bodied CRX (2000 lbs) it still only ran low 10's, barely faster than a certain D15 NA CRX (1550 lbs) at 10.77...........

FULLY BUILT D bottom end, sleeved and all, is less than $3500..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2005, 03:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

a zc can handle 6psi all day long

an easy 200hp motor that is reliable
iaincrx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2005, 07:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D

i turned mine up to 10 psi once, and i couldnt keep traction in almost every gear. i just need better tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbob

How much boost ? I want to run 30 pounds and then a 350 shot to top it off ::grins::. Not like I gotta worry about blowin it up. I'mma build the poop outta it and if it does blow. I can get another really cheap WITH TRANNY !

~BB~

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
ZC's suck for lack of camshaft choices.........make a nice NA replacement for a Si motor..........

there are few camshaft choices, but they are good ones. there are quite a few places that make new ones, or just regrind them.

Last edited by staticchmbr; 07-29-2005 at 07:12 AM.
staticchmbr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2005, 07:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaincrx
a zc can handle 6psi all day long

an easy 200hp motor that is reliable

it is an easy 200 hp motor, but you have to watch the bottom end. the rod and main bearings are the weakest part of the motor. this is due to a oil pump problem with them. there is a way to open up the ports inside the pump to fix this, but im not too sure how to do so.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Blackbob

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street2uned-EGt
30psi............ hmm.. *cough* race fuel only *cough*

you are talkin a lot of money to build a d for 30psi... 30psi and 350 shot, would put you around 800hp.. i dont think thats gonna happen bob..
Thank you captain obvious,I'm not gonna run race gas ALL the time..only when I tune it for track and certain "street" uses..the rest of the time boost low on 93....simple as that. And if it's been done good for them....I want a boosted DOHC ZC for myself and the record books...

As for custom stuff....well....that's what my shops for..DUH !
Old 08-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dr.Scott

Relax everyone, I PM'd blackbob and straightened him out on that 30 psi and 350 shot. That shit he was smoking got him quite dilutional and he got his numbers mixed up. What he meant to say was 35 psi and 50 shot. He should be just fine by the morning, I prescribed him valium and a bedtime story of the laws of physics. Well, I'm going back to bed, medical emergency averted.

Dr. Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in