d16a1...worth it? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 i love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Default d16a1...worth it?

I can get a d16a1 DOHC right now for 145 bucks! I don't believe it's in working condition but everything looks fine on it. I was wondering if it is worth getting? Can the DOHC a1 make a lot of power...even with just bolt-ons? Like a header, intake, exhaust, cams, lifters, and crap like that? I plan on building it up within the next year if I get it. Should I get it? and will it make more power than a SOHC d16y8 with bolt-ons? That's what I have on my car now...

also...is the d16a1 a ZC engine? Im new with the whole DOHC thing. I love them tho. What's so different about a ZC? Thanks for the info...
i love honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Is it a blacktop or browntop......

well regardless if it Your car isn't a 86-89 teg or 84-87 civic/crx.......It won't be an easy install.......

None of the motor mounts are correct......

as for power...........

The D16a1 / Integra ZC can make awsome power......But even more awsome torque....

dude its basically DOHC D16y8 .......no vtec....but the torque numbers it puts out no vtec is needed......

But personally.....Puting that in your car would be a pain in the ass....and wouldn't be smoggable (at least in california)

Plus d16a1's have alot of miles...so I would strongly recomend rebuild......

So I would say just stick with the motor in your car now......
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
AuProductions

i wouldnt compare a a1/zc wit a vtec.. its like roy jones fighting mayweather.... roy jones bein vtec of course...

its hard.. to make a1s/zc fly.. if you have money its possible.. parts are hard to find for tha a1.. theres either discontinued/rare.. only available through group buys..

i had an 89 integra.. with an a1.. had a shitload of parts in it.. but it didnt move how "you" will think it should... its a good car though.. that engine lasted years with me, with little or no problems.. BUT as a replacement for tha engine you got now.. i wouldnt do it.. plus it depends on tha car you got... if you have an older crx.. then go for it!!..

but newer crxs/civics.. no way.. stick to tha mini-me.. or other swaps..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuProductions
i wouldnt compare a a1/zc wit a vtec.. its like roy jones fighting mayweather.... roy jones bein vtec of course...

its hard.. to make a1s/zc fly.. if you have money its possible.. parts are hard to find for tha a1.. theres either discontinued/rare.. only available through group buys..

i had an 89 integra.. with an a1.. had a shitload of parts in it.. but it didnt move how "you" will think it should... its a good car though.. that engine lasted years with me, with little or no problems.. BUT as a replacement for tha engine you got now.. i wouldnt do it.. plus it depends on tha car you got... if you have an older crx.. then go for it!!..

but newer crxs/civics.. no way.. stick to tha mini-me.. or other swaps..

yup.........

alot of other d series stuff will work however with little or no modifications......

You just have to have some common sense...........

also

JG engine dynamics makes good stuf for the dohc d's

....Just keep your sohc.....the d16y8 is a good motor.....nice sohc
Old 07-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 15 i love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enough

Im not going to swap them. Im going to buy the engine and then stick it in an old CRX body that's stripped so it's super light. And I planned on rebuilding the engine to start with. Thanks for the info tho. Anything else you know about the engine then please tell me. I need suggestions. I plan on building the hell out of it and racing it. The CRX is super super light so it should fly. Oh yea, the d16a1 comes stock with less hp than my d16y8...can you easily put more power in it tho? I figured you could since it's a DOHC...
Old 07-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

by the way, it is a blacktop...what's the difference?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
AuProductions

i had alot of information on tha a1.. and zc b4.. manuals, mugen stuff, part numbers and all that.. i think i lost it though.. ima look online to see if i find it..but theres alot of parts out there.. but hard to find..

those old crx's will fly.. especially wit that engine.. get a good clutch and flywheel and good tires.. put everything on tha ground... and you could get to 15's easy.. probably upper 14s.. but there good for autocrossin...

keep posted on your progress...
Old 07-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuProductions
i had alot of information on tha a1.. and zc b4.. manuals, mugen stuff, part numbers and all that.. i think i lost it though.. ima look online to see if i find it..but theres alot of parts out there.. but hard to find..

those old crx's will fly.. especially wit that engine.. get a good clutch and flywheel and good tires.. put everything on tha ground... and you could get to 15's easy.. probably upper 14s.. but there good for autocrossin...

keep posted on your progress...

werd......I like g1 crx's alot.....

awsome autocross cars...
Old 07-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 crxmrdr  is slowly gaining respectcrxmrdr  is slowly gaining respectcrxmrdr  is slowly gaining respectcrxmrdr  is slowly gaining respectcrxmrdr  is slowly gaining respect

i am purchasing a 1st gen, an 87 si this next week. i am planning on swapping in a d16a1. supposedly they are great engines for that car.
crxmrdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

awsome engines.......VERy good power to weight ratio For the first gen crx/civic...

The blacktop are Electric advanced...

Browntop are vacume advanced.......

Blacktop is better
Old 07-20-2005, 06:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

they are awesome engines for that car. i put one in my car about 6 months ago, and im gald i did. there is a night and day difference. you can find a million parts forthis engine, you just have to know where to look. i raced my buddy who ran a low 13 (b16 91 civic hatch w/ 60 shot nitrous), and beat him. i have a 86 crx with an 89 turbo teg motor.

these will only fit into 86-89 integras and 84-87 civic/crx's
staticchmbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
bare

Couple of points Re the Blacktop D16A1... The 'Shit load of Parts' available when the cars (first Gen Integras) were new were basically Crap.. Not likely it Could 'go' with some of the garbage sold off to the naive. THis IS the aftermarket.. fancy ads work
Also it IS a D series Casting and as such will bolt into whatever Car carries a D series.. You will have to scratch yr Brain... but fit it will.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
AuProductions

its not like theres a bunch of parts now.. so you can make no sense.. yea.. remember.. this is tha only twincam.. in tha d-series.. so you cant go and swap camshafts or valves wit a vtec sohc... so you make no sense.. but anywho.. you cant say mugen.. exedy.. aem.. etc.. parts are garbage..

like staticchmbr said.. these lil cars will haul ass.. and ive seen one running in my lifetime..
Old 07-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Not to mention......DC, JG Engine Dynamics,Webb, Crower, piston wise...any d-series will fit perfectly.......

alot of other d-series stuff will work as well......you just have to be mechanically inclined
Old 07-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

you can get dohc zc cams for it, and send them out to get reground by colt or web cams. almost all d series rods/pistons combos fits this block. hell, get a whole dohc zc head, send it out to get port and polished while your getting the cams reground, and you have a nice built motor. thats what im doing.
staticchmbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in