Differences in OBD1 and OBD0 ZC's? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx
Default Differences in OBD1 and OBD0 ZC's?

Well on a sad note to start this thread, I sold my SOHC today. It was my first motor I built, tuned and started autocrossing on. Anywho, now it's sold I'd like to go back with a DOHC ZC in my daily driver I'm building. It fits my whole "old-school" theme for it.

So, other than the OBD, what are the differences? One make a little more power, or harder to find parts for? I've found the OBD1 cheaper than the OBD0, but if the OBD0 makes more power I'll go that route (plus it'd keep me from having to buy another conversion harness and P28.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

No major differences that would affect the choise.
I'd pick the OBD1 version if it's cheaper.
I've converted mine to OBD1 and it runs great on Neptune.

OBD0:
- separate Cylinder Position Sensor
- Intake manifold accepts OBD0 throttlebodies (less possibilities)
- Map sensor on firewall
- Less tuning solutions due OBD0 ecu

OBD1:
- Cylinder Position Sensor inside distributor
- Intake manifold accepts OBD1 throttlebodies (more possibilities)
- Map sensor on throttlebody
- More tuning solutions due OBD1 ecu

Exhaust manifold downpipe part might be 4-1 or 4-2-1 depending on version but propably you won't run the stock exhaust manifold anyway.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I'd choose an obd1 motor and run obd0. For the only reason of the obd1 intake manifold and throttle body mounted map sensor. And they are newer and hopefully in little better shape!

You can add the front cam sensor easily

Another difference is the obd0 fan switch is on back of block whereas ovd1 should be on the thermostat and uses a different plug.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Biggest downside to the obd1 is there is no usdm equivalent distributor....so sourcing one is basically left up to eBay.

Turbo edit has come a long way in the past years....at least that's what the beave claims!
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Good to know folks, thanks for the heads up.

Tuning won't be an issue, I can tune whatever, just have to re-familiarize myself with TurboEdit (Read that as email Beave for help lol). It would almost be cheaper to buy the $100 more expensive OBD0 motor since I already have a spare socketed PM6 and wouldn't have to buy an OBD adapter harness. The dizzy thing concerned me as well.

As for the TB, what's this about not fitting OBD1+ TB's on the OBD0 mani? It's been years since I've fooled with stock A6 TB and OBD0, are the IACV ports different or something?

I don't plan to mod this motor beyond tune/I/H/E (even then, I have an HKS system that's small and quiet), but we all know how that goes right? I've just always been fascinated by these motors and their power delivery so I figured I'd try it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

IACV will be mounted to the intake on either obd0 or odb1. But OBD1 some have a FITV on the TB (not sure what TB comes on ZC)

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
IACV will be mounted to the intake on either obd0 or odb1. But OBD1 some have a FITV on the TB (not sure what TB comes on ZC)
Ah. I'll just replace it with one without the FITV lol. I never have anything but issues with them.

< Like us on FB
Old 05-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You can always delete the FITV on any TB by removing it and getting a block off plate or you can clean them one time and they will work for a long time.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

if you're looking at cheap tuning options, OBD0 TE is FAR superior to CROME and uberdata (not that anyone uses it anymore...)
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Le sigh. Thanks for all the help, but I'm settling on a D15B VTEC. I have too many race car parts to buy to justify the price on a ZC when my friend offered me a good deal on his D15B. One day ZC, one day...

< Like us on FB
Old 05-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

The D15B is fun. Rock it. Heck, run it OBD0 for the fun of it. =)

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in