No Spark, no start. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default No Spark, no start.

Need some help:
91 civic Si w/DOHC ZC not getting spark.
Fuel pump is priming, after turning over the car a couple times, pull the plug and it has fuel on it which leads me away from main relay.
I've replaced the ignition switch & igniter, a few months ago the coil pack and last year the rotor and cap.
ECU does the red light flash when you click the key with no CEL light or codes.

Car was running fine one morning, started without a problem. I got about a half-mile away from my house and it died. I managed to restart the car, limp it back to the house and it died about a block away. Since then it turns over but nothing else.

After I replaced the igniter, the car started and idled briefly before having the same issue as before. Pulled the distributor to double check no loose wires from previous work and everything was tight and connected. No CEL, no codes being thrown, I'm at a total loss here, any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Jhusch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Have you cleaned the ground straps up, the T-stat one always gets overlooked or left off/broken.

http://techauto.tripod.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.

Last edited by BeerDrinkin; 05-07-2014 at 11:56 AM.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the input BeerDrinkin, checked the grounds and made sure all is well and still no luck. It's supposed to rain all weekend where I'm at, so it looks like a have a heavy weekend of research ahead of me.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

It's almost always either grounds or distributor, fish for signals to the distributor and trace, you do have a wiring schematic, right? I'd offer to help, I have a Helm manual but it's for 1994 (surely the same from 92-95), your car is different. If you don't have a proper manual, there are places online, check Honda Tech, that you can find .pdf versions you can access for free.

Good luck

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

When the engine "dies" does it just turn off, but all the dash lights stay lite? If I were you I would add another ground wire straight from the negative post to the engine somewhere just to be sure.

Other than checking the basics like fuses and connections, you might want to take the cap off and check that the contacts are clean and not worn down. I've had rotors/caps that were corroded/cleaned to the point where the the gap between the two contacts was too large to run.

Is it the stock OBD0 or OBD1?

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for all the leads. I took out the distributor again today and checked all the connections, resistance etc and found that one of the wires on the coil had come loos and there was play. I tightened the screw and put everything back together fired right up no issues. And since in the process we replaced the ignitor, the damn thing runs like a dream.
Thanks again for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in