Why DOHC ZC, & not SOHC VTEC? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
sik94hatch

Default Why DOHC ZC, & not SOHC VTEC?

Jus wondering y ppl love the dohc ZC so much? no VTEC, & only 130hp. Y not go with a sohc VTEC.. like z6, y8, or mini-me. More power & prolley light wieght. Only reson i see is because the low $, and ppl jus think its cooler with dohc.....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series Destruction Master

Rep Power: 36 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f00ker Send a message via MSN to f00ker Send a message via Yahoo to f00ker

Nice first post...You pretty much discussed your question, and answered it yourself.

f00ker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 skr33t_rac3r smells like Boratskr33t_rac3r smells like Boratskr33t_rac3r smells like Boratskr33t_rac3r smells like Boratskr33t_rac3r smells like Boratskr33t_rac3r smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

no need to wrry bout converting to obd1, no need to wire up vtec, and yes the swaps are very cheap
skr33t_rac3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Because those with a DOHC ZC deep down inside

(really want a b-series)

ewwww.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2005, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 36 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to f00ker Send a message via MSN to f00ker Send a message via Yahoo to f00ker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar
Because those with a DOHC ZC deep down inside

(really want a b-series)

ewwww.
No, its the other way around, the b18 kids are the posers, who just wish they didn't blow so much cash on a B, when they could have got a ZC

Old 06-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i thought the sohc vtec had the same HP as the dohc zc, its a lot cheaper, and you dont hve to worry about the obd1 crap
staticchmbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2005, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 boostREX is learning the way of the DboostREX is learning the way of the D

I want a DOHC ZC because it has 2 cams which is better for more tuning, and also I dont really wanna change my system from OBD0, but still want a motor with more stock HP than the D16A6 (I really love my A6 though, and know the block on the ZC is basically an A6 block)
boostREX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostREX
and know the block on the ZC is basically an A6 block)
What? no it's not. The crank is the same, oil pump, water pump, oil pan...but damn man, it aint the same...

Old 06-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

check out the vid I posted of my ZC taking on a WRX. The wrx was modded, all my ZC had was headers. Then again my car only weighs 1900lbs and the subie about 3600lbs with two fairly hefty guys in it.
drewboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 crxmrdr  is slowly gaining respectcrxmrdr  is slowly gaining respectcrxmrdr  is slowly gaining respectcrxmrdr  is slowly gaining respectcrxmrdr  is slowly gaining respect

i love my dohc zc for the simple fact you cant fuck with the old dirty d.

but yeah its cheaper to swap in and its cheaper to mod IF you know where to find parts.
crxmrdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wolven

Wouldn't trade my D for a B. Too much fun embarassing the B group with a D15b
Old 06-30-2005, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
RangerMike

No love for my DOHC ZC ...

Why DOHC isntead of SOHC VTEC? Simple. I really wanted to stay D-series, and found a good deal locally on the ZC, and took it. D is D..I got love for em all
Old 07-01-2005, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
bennjamin

why ZC ? i had no choice. Its stock in my car

BTW i love this lil engine...never lost in any cirumstance against a SOHC Vtec powered car ( same 130hp vs 130hp)...but two cams just seems to flow that much better
Old 07-01-2005, 01:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 boostREX is learning the way of the DboostREX is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic90ex
What? no it's not. The crank is the same, oil pump, water pump, oil pan...but damn man, it aint the same...
You'll notice I said basically.. I didnt say it was "Identical".. "basically" meaning that most of the stuff in the ZC block is the same as an A6.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennjamin
why ZC ? i had no choice. Its stock in my car
iaincrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

From the factory the DOHC ZC was King Dick before the B-series VTEC engines came out.

I'd rep the DOHC ZC again IF it was smog legal in CALI but it ain't and I don't like fussing with it, making it wear SUNDAY'S BEST just to look pretty for the smog tech.

It's very underrated and most people will tell you there are getting hard to find in good condition.
To me that's a load of crap. I get em every other container (a few once a month)
TO this day I haven't had ANY issues with an engine's mechanical condition
You'll see a popped TPS here or chipped valvecover paint there, but mechanically they're SOUND thanks to my supplier.
If you get em used from someone HERE in the states then most likely the engine is FAWKED someway.
I mean who would pull out a perfectly running DOHC ZC unless they fucked with it (stupid EBAY chips) or maybe having probs with smog.
Check for those warranty tags that fall off after a certain amount of time.
Almost all good suppliers stick em on. If it's off, then I'd move on.
HumanResource is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

Bottom Line is this.......

DOHC is better Than SOHC plain and simple

B-series engines have very narrow pistons.....D-series have wider pistons.....

Vtec Is highly over rated.....

My DOHC stomps on B16 in lighter cars than mine with equal mods....

The DOHC ZC is the best of both worlds...

a d-series block and pistons...
D-series pistons...with a DOHC head

Horsepower isn't the Only varible to speed........

Its torque that make the DOHC so potent......

The b16 makes 111 ft lbs Of torque at 7200 RPM's
The DOHC ZC make 108 ft lbs of torque at 5600 rpm's

so 3lbs of tq For 1600 rpms

Its a very good breathing High torque Engine...

It doesn't need Vtech to make power.....

and as far as weight.......what are you talking about man..........

The only difference would be the head.....The block and tranny would be absolutelly comparible......

You can do things to a DOHC head that you couldn't ever do with SOHC

Don't get me wrong.......I am not downing SOHC Honda Motors. I Got love for all D's

I'm just saying the facts............

and as far as the comment Of DOHC ZC peeps just wanting to be B....

Here some intresting facts for you........

The DOHC ZC was the first DOHC engine from honda In any of there cars.

The b16 was actually designed off of the Integra DOHC....and was actually called the ZCG ....Later Forming B-series

The DOHC d16a1 thet came in the 86 integra in the stated was the FIRST DOHC motor in america....

The 86-97 Integra's DOHC motor was The VERY First car COMPTECH made and raced and became famous over...

COMPTECH started with the D

Vtech is not a plus......With v-tech even with a controller....You lack low end tq and a peaky motor.....

with SOHC you cant adjust your cams even to a 100000000 like you can with a DOHC

all you do by getting cam gears and cams Is really adjust the level In the power band...

Cam and timing tuning wioll increase performance From 1-Redline In every gear In a DOHC

DOHC is very simple and Cheap.....Probbally cheaper than a SOHC Vtec......Definitlly if you have a Non Vtec optioned Car in the states (pre 91

Last edited by Black Mountain; 07-01-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

MUGEN DOHC SPORTS

D-Series Reprasenting

Last edited by Black Mountain; 07-01-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

The DOHC ZC is about maybe 50 pounds more than a D16A6, and about 300 pounds lighter than a B16.. 30 horsepower doesnt make up for 300 pounds.. plain and simple about DOHC ZC vs. B16
Old 07-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Comptech G1
D-series Reprasentin

The First ZC DOHC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in