High boost on a ZC and headgasket probs.. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2005, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default High boost on a ZC and headgasket probs..

Well I went through yet another headgasket the other day, anything over 12psi and they go, so I upgraded to a set of arp head studs($100) and a HKS 3 layer metal gasket ($100) Then after having to replace the ignitor and mag pickup I got it on the road again. Previous tune of 12psi was good to go, turned it up to 13 and wouldnt ya know, it is blowing bubbles into the cooling system and blowing the coolant out of the system. So after wasting a lot of time and money I have my car tore down yet again.

The head isnt warped, the deck was milled when I built the bottom end, and it isnt detonating so WTF?? I am running out of ideas and money.

What is everyone doing to keep the head sealed in this situation??

Cj
85SiHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

wierd my buddy with a ZC @12psi and CT26 turbo never had a problem even with stock headstuds and ORIGINAL head gasket. the motor is in another car and being put at 14psi on a greddy kit with zero problems.
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2005, 06:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D

you should try to copper spray the next headgasket. ive had my hks one on for at least 2,000 miles, and no problems yet...but im not pushing that many lbs either. also, with the headstuds, i torque them 5 + lbs over the stock setting just to make sure itll seal.
staticchmbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
AuProductions

i wouldnt overtorque tha bolts..
juss find something to seal tha gasket down.. cuz probably when you put on tha head.. its moves and doesnt sit right..

have you checked tha thermostat and water pump? is it mixing with your oil?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2005, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
D16Z6TURBO

If Im not mistaken your experiencing "Headlift" OEM headstuds are stretch bolts they wont hold up worth a damn with high boost. Use the ARPs and you should be fine
Old 06-25-2005, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
fast1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16Z6TURBO
If Im not mistaken your experiencing "Headlift" OEM headstuds are stretch bolts they wont hold up worth a damn with high boost. Use the ARPs and you should be fine
im with him
Old 06-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16Z6TURBO
When it blew this last gasket, the ARP studs and HKS gasket was installed on the car. The oil and coolant never mix it just blows compression into the cooling system.

Thermostat and water pump are good.
85SiHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2005, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
D16Z6TURBO

Hhhhhhmmmmm head warped at all? Im just geussing now. Im having similar problems so Im ordering the ARPs and a cometic gasket myself. Shit I hope it fixes it on mine. Sorry past what I already mentioned Im not sure unless the head is warped.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

wow, i was searching this and came across it through google. I am running 14 psi on my stock DOHC zc w/ sage 1 cams and a 63/50. and havnt blown the gasket, yet. I was thinking of upgrading to the hks gasket and arp studs before i do blow it. Did you come up with a solution yet?
del_solution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 17 Dweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dweezil Send a message via Yahoo to Dweezil

You realize the thread is 2 1/2 years old, right? I'd guess either a warped head or tuning issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Arrogent?

No, I, like a lot of people on this site, don't have time for dumbasses that type like a cat with downs syndrome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

P28 Clone - $125 Each
Unchippable P28 - $65
Dweezil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 DirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDseriesWOOT

its the tune..

jus cause u cant see detonation doesent mean its not detonationg.. if u used ARP and a hks gasket and tqed it down to spec with a good flat head/block it shouldnt blow.. unless the tune is off and its lifting gaskets with pre-ignition

94 RHD samba green -SOLD!

uhh rep me or somthing!

Professional FireFighter

DirtyDseriesWOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to siregcivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by del_solution View Post
wow, i was searching this and came across it through google. I am running 14 psi on my stock DOHC zc w/ sage 1 cams and a 63/50. and havnt blown the gasket, yet. I was thinking of upgrading to the hks gasket and arp studs before i do blow it. Did you come up with a solution yet?
HAHAHAH FUCKIN SHAUN... this is my buddie with the del sol that i always talk about with the turbo zc if any of you want to ask him questions .. thats what he gets for bumping a 2 year old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDseriesWOOT View Post
its the tune..

jus cause u cant see detonation doesent mean its not detonationg.. if u used ARP and a hks gasket and tqed it down to spec with a good flat head/block it shouldnt blow.. unless the tune is off and its lifting gaskets with pre-ignition
yyyeeeeeeeepppppppp i tuned the del sol above a year ago on a small saab turbo at 12-14 psi got the big turbo retuned it 4 months ago.. that motor is a friggin tuesday motor for sure.. indestructable.. knock on wood

SOBER TILL ITS OVER

Quote:
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in