dropped a washer into opening of timing belt cover, how can i get it out? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default dropped a washer into opening of timing belt cover, how can i get it out?

i have a DOHC ZC, i had the upper timing belt cover off so i could see the cam gear pulleys while i did a valve adjustment, i accidentally dropped a small flat washer (1/2" round) into the opening of the timing belt cover that surrounds the cam gear pulleys.

[IMG][/IMG]

now i am trying to get ideas on ways i can get the washer out without having to take off the crank pulley and all that stuff,

when something drops through there, does it just go to the bottom of the plastic lower timing belt cover, and land around the area under the crank pulley?, the things i know of that are behind the cover is the timing belt which routes around some small pulleys & tensioners on the side of the engine and the crank pulley goes through it at the bottom.

can i pry the cover away a little near the bottom area so i can get the washer to drop out ? or maybe i should use a long antenna thing with a magnet at the end to fish it out from the bottom ?

any help would be appreciated
jon90ZC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Long magnet maybe? iuf not I think you gotta take the cover and crank pull off
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Magnet on an antenna end or a grabber thingy like this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

collapsible magnet you can get at autozone for like $.50 lol. that would be best.

other wise i would go down by the pulley and try to pry the plastic cover down there out a bit and put a magnet there and see if you can get it.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Take the cover off.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Take the cover off.
Takes like 10minutes
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Take the cover off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Takes like 10minutes

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

i was just being extra carefull and did'nt want to drive car since i dropped that washer down there, but i had a feeling it was probably ok, since its such a little washer,

i borrowed a magnet that extends like an antenna from a friend cause could'nt find mine, and went to try fishing it out but when i went to extend it, the end piece came off, so could'nt use that, since the end was'nt attached and would fall in there also.

i talked to my friend whos a mechanic on the phone and he said it should'nt affect it since i have a rubber timing belt, and most likely fell to the bottom, and probably fell to the bottom and can try prying plastic cover out to let it fall out, but he said i should be ok to drive my car without worrying, also said since i was turning the motor by hand on the crank while going through the valve adjustment steps, the motor was turning smooth and showed nothing was caught in the timing gears,

so i decided to start it up and i drove it today just short distance and everything was fine, but i still plan on trying to get the washer out just to be sure.

but not as worried as before.

i'll have to buy one of those flexible magnet things, i never seen those, thats good to have around, and a lot better than those antenna things.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

All it will take is a bump to ruin your day. That little washer can get dislodged and thrown up into the timing belt/chain.

BTDT, been there did that, mom's 72 Buick Skylark for example.

Timing chain broke on Dad one night. When he was bolting up the water pump an ear broke off the alum. timing case and when down the dist. hole. I drove the car for a year like that but had to slam on the brakes for something and the little piece ended up in the timing chain and snapped it.

Dad's mechanic/friend/coworker thought it being cast alum. it would be not harm the steel timing chain.....well....at age 15 I had mastered the art of dropping in a dist and getting it timed properly when Dad couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you had a strong enough magnet you could run it along the outside of the cover until it grabs the washer, and then slide it up the side of the cover to the opening. You could also try loosening the bolts that hold the cover on and pulling it away from the block, it might open enough for the washer to fall out without having to take off the crank pulley.
Leyczo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

I nearly lost my ZC due to a valve cover nut.

Pull the effing cover off. A little washer WILL bump the timing OR shred the belt.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

if you still got it in there.
You might want to try and get it out.

MY friend had his cover off and thought it would be ok to drive to the store.
A stick go up in there and cut his belt.

Now you got a washer in there that will fly around and end up getting stuck in between the belt and gears.
Just get a magnetic and do your best to get it out.
If not you gotta pull the cover.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

i'm glad i ask details about every thing i run into on my car and get opinions on forums, cause then i know if its something important or not, and end up fixing it if its important, if i did'nt do that for each little thing, then i would probly end up screwing my car up since i went with my opinion. thinking it was'nt anything important.

like when i asked that mechanic i know his opinion, i trusted his answer about it being ok to drive and not worry about it, and i drove my car with it still in there just a short distance, but luckily nothing happened.

but later i read a lot of replies from people saying they screwed their whole motor up or tore their timing belt just cause of something such as a small nut, bolt, grommet or washer, and i decided i really need to get it out before driving it again, so i went to autozone and got a pickup set that had a long extended swivel mirror, an antenna extension with strong magnet at the end & a long, flexible grabber tool.

after manoevering with the antenna magnet a little, i saw the washer stuck to it as i pulled it out, which i did'nt expect on the first try, so i was glad
Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

UNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Glad you took the time to get it out. When something brakes it's sucks, but when it brakes due to negligence, laziness or just being clumsy it sucks soo much worse.

Quote:
Whatever PSI it takes to bring back a 5 year old thread.

Vroom vroom....pshhhhhh!!!! Yeehaw bitches!
UNDERSTIMATED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 04:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Paper towels - you can NEVER have enough! When you're working with open holes (timing cover, dizzy, intake/exh, spark plugs, etc), ALWAYS stuff a little wad in there! My biggest problem is dropping it next to the hole, and then it hits a ridge, bounces completely sideways and comes to rest under the car or something else big & heavy.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Two words. Magnetic gloves. Somebody kickstarter that and split the profits with me...
Leyczo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Who Runs HALF a Timing cover???

Gaaaaayyy

All or nothing.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

i don't run half a timing cover, i just had the upper timing cover part off cause i was doing a valve adjustment,

but a while back i was running without the upper timing cover for several years, cause hood would'nt close cause the ZC timing cover, i was stupid for doing that, cause thats leaving the timing belt and cam gears exposed where stuff could get on it like oil, dirt etc ..., and i'm sure thats partly the cause of why my timing belt snapped on me a year ago, and i was lucky cause it did'nt do any damage to my internals !

but later i cut a section out of the hood underside insulation and that made it able to fit closing the hood with the upper timing cover on, so its been on since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in