Turbo build - plans - guidance needed - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Turbo build - plans - guidance needed

Hi all, noob here, been lurking for a few weeks doing research.

I have a DOHC ZC (92-95 OBD1 "4th gen") which I'm preparing for a turbo build. The block seems to be in great shape with very little wear. Everything else looks good also so I think I have a good basis for my build.

These are the parts I'm planning to purchase very soon, the only thing I have any doubts about are the pistons. I've read a lot about this and it seems Supertech are fine for what I need. However, I contacted Supertech and they said....."you could use those pistons but they are not for turbo applications and MAY fit your engine" ..!!!

Anyway, here is my list, any constructive comments welcome.

Pistons
Honda CIVIC D16Z6 / A6 Add + 0.3:1 if used in a Y8 engine
Bore 75.50mm Oversize +0.5 Comp Ratio 10.5:1 Volume CCs -3 Head CCs 34.6 Comp Height 1.173 Stroke 3.543" Rod Length 5.394" Pin Diameter 19mm Weight 231g Piston P/N P4-HD755-N3 Ring P/N GNH7550

Eagle rods
ACL Race bearings
ARP head studs
Cometec Head Gasket (0.03")
GoAutoworks turbo kit
Larger injectors ??
PERHAPS a head shave but no more than .050"
Complete new gaskets everywhere.

Car is a '89 CRX, daily driver. Looking for around 250 - 300hp

Last edited by CRX-Ed; 12-30-2013 at 07:46 PM.
CRX-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Hmmm, no comments? Oh well.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Gotta give it longer for some ZC guys to chime in, not a lot of us run those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

This is the DOHC ZC section so I would have thought with 70 views someone would have a comment. All I need is verification on the pistons, are they good, or what other options to go with.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

The SOHC D16 pistons work in the DOHC ZC, what they meant to say was the 10.5:1 CR wouldn't work well in a SOHC turbo engine, but they probably don't know about the larger DOHC combustion chambers. With those piston specs you will be right under 9:1 CR which will be fine with no head milling necessary. Another option is the Raceengineering DOHC specific pistons. It looks like you are on the right path with your parts list and shouldn't have a problem making 300whp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the reply and encouraging comments. I had considered the Race Eng. (and Wiseco) pistons but they are a little over budget IF the Supertech will be OK. If not, then I'll go with the higher priced option if I have to.

Also thinking I'll shave the head to get somewhere around 9.3 - 9.5 CR so it's more streetable "off boost".

Lastly, going to add a pair of JUN cam gears.

Going with Hondata s300 for tuning.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 seandonn is learning the way of the Dseandonn is learning the way of the D

You're doing your homework, I like that.

The supertech pistons will work, I went with the raceeng wisecos. You'll want larger injectors and an upgraded fuel pump(255lph walbro will do). I don't see anything wrong with shaving the head slightly to increase CR. One thing I question is why Cometec Head Gasket?
seandonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Why Cometec? From what I understand, being MLS it will handle boost pressure better. And ... I believe it is more accurate in thickness (I know when I torque the head I will have 0.03"), and easier to remove IF the head has to come off at any stage.

Is there something "better" ?

I know about larger injectors, just don't know what size ...yet.
Walbro pump is on the list of things to get.

Other engine pieces ... new distributor. The one on the engine was destroyed in shipping. All new vacuum lines, hoses,... etc.
Other things to go with this build will be a light flywheel, clutch, 1/2 radiator, new exhaust, Hondata s300, OBD0-OBD1 conversion (and DPFI to MPFI)
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRX-Ed View Post
Why Cometec? From what I understand, being MLS it will handle boost pressure better. And ... I believe it is more accurate in thickness (I know when I torque the head I will have 0.03"), and easier to remove IF the head has to come off at any stage.

Is there something "better" ?

I know about larger injectors, just don't know what size ...yet.
Walbro pump is on the list of things to get.

Other engine pieces ... new distributor. The one on the engine was destroyed in shipping. All new vacuum lines, hoses,... etc.
Other things to go with this build will be a light flywheel, clutch, 1/2 radiator, new exhaust, Hondata s300, OBD0-OBD1 conversion (and DPFI to MPFI)
I personally prefer the MLS Cometic gaskets, but some will say the OEM gasket works fine.

Contact Hiprofile on here and he can hook you up with the injectors.

Doesn't hurt to bump compression up a little, but just don't go too crazy.

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 seandonn is learning the way of the Dseandonn is learning the way of the D

I wasn't knocking Cometic, just curious why you chose it over OEM.

I had 440s then I got 800s from HiProfile, definitely recommend contacting him.

Looking forward to seeing your progress
seandonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

It's going to be a while before I start. Still scraping up money for parts. At least now I know I'm on the correct path. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

H/Acura no longer sell the A1 headgasket.

Aftermarket junk or Cometic is about the only choices left.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in