D16A9 engine internal problem. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Skalabala will become famous soon enoughSkalabala will become famous soon enoughSkalabala will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16A9 engine internal problem.

Hi members. One of my friends bought a Honda fitted fit a D16A9 engine. He needed urgent transport and did not have a lot of money.

So he got the car and the next day he told me there is a problem.
I went to him today and there is a horrifying sound coming from inside the engine. Its an screeching knocking sound and the sound does not have a fixed pattern.

I have removed the tappet cover and saw small shavings underneath the cams where the oil lays in the head.

Removed a few cam caps and saw copper coloured shavings.

Am I right if I say its crank bearings that are worn past the white metal?

There was also copper and silver coloured shavings in the head, the oil goes from the oil pump to the filter and then to the crank and thus the shaving do not get filtered when going from the crank up through the cam caps?

I feel so bad for the guy. He did not even have a car for transport to hospital etc for his new born baby three days ago
Skalabala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

No, that means the oil pump was not working and no oil got to the head, or oil shavings starved the head of oil when they were lodged in the restrictor block.

Did he start and run the engine without oil?

The engine is done, either way.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Skalabala will become famous soon enoughSkalabala will become famous soon enoughSkalabala will become famous soon enough

The oil level is over full.
The cam caps are not seized, they and the cams look good.

Forgot to mention, the head gasket was blown and replaced(work looks dodgy) and the next day this problem occurred. I was told the oil was milky.

Will see if I get the job to rebuild the engine, but as you said its toast if shavings went through everywhere where only clean oil should be.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

That's the only way shavings will get there, unless it is something left over from the previous work.

This engine sounds like a bad deal. I'm betting that whomever replaced the headgasket previously didn't chase the threads and likely didn't clean the head thoroughly.

Pull the engine Out and apart.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 19 2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano
2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Sad to read honestly. But the engine does sound properly toasted.

1991 Civic Si 335,000 miles

The engine doesnt matter. Its small, it pulls, and when it makes noise I advance forward.
2010 Fusion Hybrid
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
2004 Honda XR50 (88cc)
2003 Toyota Tundra TRD
1965 Honda CT-200
2000redCIVICsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Am I right if I say that the only parts inside the engine than can deliver a copper coloured shaving is crank bearings?
I can not think of any other component
Old 10-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Yup, but it is really weird to see that up top.

Pics would help.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Will make a new thread when I do the build with pictures Thanks Beaver
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Started stripping the engine today and its rod Nr3
Have not checked the rod or crank yet, I hope the crank is hard on a honda D??
At least the crank is not blue.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Ouch, I know it's a bit awkward to do but a "long" test drive is vital before making a purchase. At least getting the vehicle up to full operating temperature and try to make sure there's no "Engine Honey" or "Lucas Oil" in there to hide a known failure. Good luck with the repair.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Removed and stripped the engine today. The bearing on rod 3 spun badly but there is no discolouring
Did not measure the crank but its bad. The rod bent badly(damaged the block) and I can not find a rod anywhere.
So at the moment I am looking for a good priced import engine.
And it also looks like there is a line bore problem on the block. Mains are also damaged.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Ew.

But, better to know and get it fixed correctly now.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

And now I can not find a replacement engine
Will a D15B non vtec work if I use the D16A9 intake manifold?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Icarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalabala View Post
And now I can not find a replacement engine
Will a D15B non vtec work if I use the D16A9 intake manifold?
A9 intake wont fit on the D15B. Exhaust manifolds will fit put ports dont match. And thats going to overfuel without tuning.

D15B and D16 SOHC rods will fit. (not D15 non vtec rods)

D16 sohc crank will fit too.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Guys I can only get a D16A8 and a ZC. Will any of the two be a straight swop?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

I can swop over the distributor and intake manifold if I have to.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Icarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to all

Quote:
Guys I can only get a D16A8 and a ZC. Will any of the two be a straight swop?
yep, straight swop
Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks bud! Tell me what is the device on the exhaust cam next to the distributor on the ZC?
The A9 only has a rubber plug there.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Thanks bud! Tell me what is the device on the exhaust cam next to the distributor on the ZC?

That is a cam position sensor or CPS. IT is only needed on OBD0 DOHC d-series not needed on OBD1. on the OBD1 it's located inside the distributor. Assuming you are running OBD1 just leave the sensor in the head and un plugged. If you want to take it out you need to also take the Valve cover off and the first cam cap to remove and the install the little rubber plug.

couple things when swapping OBD0 motors into OBD1 chassis.

Map sensor on OBD1 motors are located on the throttle body, on OBD0 they are on the firewall. You'll need to swap the full intake manifold to the OBD1. You'll also want to ensure you use the OBD1 injectors too.

Also on the OBD0 blocks the fan temp switch is located on the back of the block, on the OBD1 they are located on the t-stat housing. Simply swap the t-stat housing. (After I typed this....this might be single cams only...I'm not sure. But something you should just double check!)
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
its a pickup - cant recall which one though.

edit

what he said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in