piston rods - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default piston rods

Hi. Im looking for pistons and rods for my ZC dohc, 3rd gen.

Could u advice me something?

I found this. Are they any good???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nippon-Racin...c905e9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSP-civic-CR...9ad9d4&vxp=mtr
zcsynt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Below on the link it says for all B-series motors. I'd say from the info being different than the title it's sketchy.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcsynt View Post
Hi. Im looking for pistons and rods for my ZC dohc, 3rd gen.

Could u advice me something?

I found this. Are they any good???

Nippon Racing Honda Civic P29 DOHC ZC Pistons Scat H Beam Rods D16A D16A6 D16Y7 | eBay

GSP Civic CRX D16 Dserie NA Turbo ZC vtec EG EK EF Forged Beam Rod w Bolts DOHC | eBay
I believe those floating pin pistons are fairly new to the market. I started a thread a couple of months ago about them, but I don't this anyone here is using them yet.

I was thinking about trying them in my boosted ZC build, but that won't happen until my back up engine is finished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My car hates me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zer0DazE; 07-21-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

They look solid to me. Very nice rods, very nice pistons, those rings have been shown to work great, and floating wrist pins are fantastic.

I know that eBay states that it's for B-series, but it's likely just a small mistake when setting up the ad. Everything else on the ad looks great, properly clarifying that it's for D-series.

If you do get them, just make sure you specify the proper bore size (ie 75.5mm or 76 mm, etc).

Good luck!

-

-

-
mrtodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

whats his name bought those floating pin p29's.. he was building a boosted d15 with cx racing rods and floating pin p29 pistons. havnt seen him on here for a while though.

40MPGd15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

than what comppression ratio do I need?

Can I get 200 - 250 with out turbo? Over size my bore and get 10:1 compression with a small turbo or something like that.

Last edited by zcsynt; 07-22-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

what about this:
Honda Performance - KMS Engine Development KMS Forged Pistons - ZC/D16A1
Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40MPGd15b7 View Post
whats his name bought those floating pin p29's.. he was building a boosted d15 with cx racing rods and floating pin p29 pistons. havnt seen him on here for a while though.

Slowsinglecam. He loves them. I thnk he is planning to boost that motor, down the road. He's probably out being on his minty fresh motor.
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

what that means - Floating Piston?

Last edited by zcsynt; 07-23-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

This is a poor picture, but it does illustrate the differences between a press-in wrist pin and a full floating pin (aka floating piston). Take a look...

The piston/rod on the left shows a press fit. The wrist pin must be "pressed" into the rod while the piston is in place. This means that the pin is sort of permanently attached to the rod, so there is no side-to-side play.

The piston/rod on the right shows a floating design. The rod has a bronze bushing that allows the pin to slide right in without a mechanical press. This means there is side-to-side play, so c-clips or spirolocks must be attached on each end of the pin, on the piston, in order to prevent any side-to-side play. The idea behind this design (as far as I know) is to reduce friction. That being said, in theory, a floating piston should make more power than a press-fit wrist pin, considering all other factors being equal.

In reality, I think the differences aren't noticeable. The only reason why I like a floating piston better is the ease of install. With a press-fit you need to take it to a machine shop to press them in. A floating piston you can do it yourself.

Hope this helps!

-

-

-
mrtodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

thanks for informtion.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

So, if I get wiseco pistons than what kind of a rods should I need for 250HP turbo setup?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Any aftermarket standard length D16 rods.

I'd highly recommend the Race Engineering Wiseco D16A1 pistons.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Any aftermarket standard length D16 rods.

I'd highly recommend the Race Engineering Wiseco D16A1 pistons.
Do you think they are necessary for a sub 300 whp build? It would seem (depending on the budget) that the floating pin cast pistons would/should be more than sufficient.

I haven't looked a comparison of the OEM design vs the Wiseco designs, but with how hard I see you pushing them I assume they made improvements.

My car hates me.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Molnar billet rod looks more solid than Eagle Rod.
Some people suggest I-Beam rods, to raise a compression.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

Depends on the build, Zero. You can do 300ish on cast pistons, but I'd rather not.

I am interested in those Molnar rods because of the weight even with ARP 2000 bolts.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Depends on the build, Zero. You can do 300ish on cast pistons, but I'd rather not.

I am interested in those Molnar rods because of the weight even with ARP 2000 bolts.
It looks like Molnar is the same guy that ran K1 Technologies who I believe is owned by Wiseco now.

edit: wow, that seems light for an H beam.

My car hates me.

Last edited by Zer0DazE; 07-24-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

how to find out what maximum HP they can handle?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Break them in an engine. They at going to be strong enough for anything you can likely drive on the street.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

I found some threads posting that H-Beams are good for N/A and eagle rods are for turbos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in