beginner advice - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default beginner advice

Hello, I plan to restore my DOHCZ ZC sitting in my del sol by changing injectors, head gasket, all gasket seals, camshaft seals and stuffs like that. I'm about to start very soon.

How should I start ?

removing the engine from the engine bay and working on it or change these parts from the top of th engine bay with the engine still inside the car ?

If I have to drop the engine complety, should I go with the engine and the transmission at the same time or one by one.

Thanks
djkina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 Yoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunnaYoshimoto1 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Awesome rebuild time!

I personally found it easier to pull both at one time

Then you can paint the block and trans ..etc

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoshimoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 19 2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano
2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano2000redCIVICsi is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

If you arent changing the crank seals or clutch, you shouldnt HAVE to pull the motor out. The items you mentioned are all accessable from the top. Also, how many miles are on the car? Motor? It may be cheaper to have your injectors cleaned or rebuilt.

1991 Civic Si 335,000 miles

The engine doesnt matter. Its small, it pulls, and when it makes noise I advance forward.
2010 Fusion Hybrid
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
2004 Honda XR50 (88cc)
2003 Toyota Tundra TRD
1965 Honda CT-200
2000redCIVICsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you all for the replies, my car is actually 90000 miles I don't have to change the clutch or the crank seals but I want to do a good job, clean my engine bay. DO you think that I have to deal with the crank or connecting rods ... for maintenance ?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkina View Post
Thank you all for the replies, my car is actually 90000 miles I don't have to change the clutch or the crank seals but I want to do a good job, clean my engine bay. DO you think that I have to deal with the crank or connecting rods ... for maintenance ?

Have you done a compression test? If your numbers are good, and it's not burning any oil, and you're not having any rod knock, I wouldn't worry about the crank/rods/pistons/rings.

IMO, it will be a little bit less work if you keep the engine in the car. Also, this way you won't need an engine stand. You have access to pretty much all the seals with it in the car, unless of course you replace the front and rear main seals (like mentioned above by 2000redCIVICsi).

IF you decide to drop the entire engine, I personally would do it as one piece. Quicker than removing things one at a time.

If you decide to keep it in the car, I would probably start from the top. Remove the head, replace HG plus clean out the I/M while it's off & replace TB and I/M gaskets. Replace your cam seals - and remember to follow the helms manual for torque specs and tightening sequence on your valvetrain! The manual also has a few specifics for RTV sealant with the head - make sure you follow everything. After replacing the HG, do your t-belt and water pump. After you've verified that the cam timing is correct and the engine turns without any binding, then go ahead and replace that oil pan gasket, then whatever else you've got in mind.

Good luck with it!

-

-

-
mrtodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

do I have to check compression after head gasket change or before ?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can't remove, this bolt when I try to pull out my cylinder head, I can't do it with the socket wrench cause the engine mount bolt wich is on the engine obstruct my tool, wich tool should I use to unbolt this thing ? thank you
even the open end wrench can't do it cause of the shape of the stering pump bracket...

Last edited by djkina; 07-06-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

finally removed my cylinder head the bolt that previously obstruct me was removed by remove the engine mount bolt first.... I PLAN TO OPEN A BUILD THREAD ON THIS FORUM, see ya everybody thanks for your replies
Old 07-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got a new issue, after replace everything my car won't start . I got oil check and battery check on my instrument panel, I think I didn't set the timing right, do you think the timing can make my engine won't start ? thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

will it turn over at all?

make sure your plug wires are in right order. also yes timing being wrong can keep the engine from starting.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

ok, it was the timing that was keeping my engine from starting...I have another question. I've installed nippon racing stage 2 camshaft, do I have to install a fuel pressure regulator ? If I do so, will it get me more HP or it will just get the right power from my camshaft ? Thank you
Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

*sighs*

Tune the ECU or don't bother running the cams at all. Those Nippon cams aren't all that great, either.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

I downgraded to OEM camshaft but now my car seem like getting an idle problem. when I pull the accelerator cable, it don't raise the engine, it low it down. So I've tried to set the idle right by the throttle and the accelerator cable. I've checked the valve clearance by 2 time. Oh there is a slight problem. I accidently broken the exhaust side lug. The one next to the distributor, the tallest that retaining the ccamshaft bearing. Is it possible that my engine got problem from this issue or it's coming from another thing? Thank you
Old 07-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

holly crap, I found what caused my idle issue, it was the distributor that was too set too forward
Old 07-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

How's it running now?

-

-

-
mrtodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtodd View Post
How's it running now?
It run bizar , the only thing that changed from before I touch l my engine is that when I accelerate the engine don't respond quickly, I have to hit the pedal a moment and wait till it get to 3000-4000 RPM then the power come... The idleing is good set, the distributor is ok. This is the only thing I found changed. I plan to clean my injector and maybe check fuel pressure and fuel pump if it still running like this. WHat do you think ? THank you everybody
Old 07-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Your cam timing is likely off.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

hello, can anybody tell me what is the part number of the seal sitting on the end of the exhaust camshaft on the distributor side ? I think mine is worn, I need to replace it, there is a little leak coming from this seal. Thank you all

Old 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I don't know if they make that seal or not aftermarket but I do know you WILL need to remove valve cover and the cam cap at that end to remove it. I tried EVERYTHING to get it out without taking the Valve cover and cam cap off but got nowhere. I would probably try taking it out, cleaning the rubber and the mounting surface, install with a little RTV around the seal and you should be ok.
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake82 View Post
I don't know if they make that seal or not aftermarket but I do know you WILL need to remove valve cover and the cam cap at that end to remove it. I tried EVERYTHING to get it out without taking the Valve cover and cam cap off but got nowhere. I would probably try taking it out, cleaning the rubber and the mounting surface, install with a little RTV around the seal and you should be ok.
do you put sealant on the head cylinder or over the seal ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in