D16/3ZC -Dx Crx SWap - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16/3ZC -Dx Crx SWap

Hello all i recently took the third gen ZC that i had and put it together with a 86-87 d16 block, because i knew that the rods would be a slight bit bigger.

SO i picked a complete harness from he yard and made it to be a motor-harness-swap .....
i put the d16 rods with the 88-89 piston heads witch is still the zc pistons, i used a si fuel line and bumped the dx main line to be a return line, i turned on the igniton, and FI light on the cluster came on..... i dont have my rad, pluged up to anything, and for some reason i have one exrta connection , blue/yellow black/yellow...
The ECU threw out some codes and those where codes 6, and 20, i have this hole motor runing with oBD-0 , i went threw two ECU's and now the ecu is not returning codes, and the light is still on and it does not want to start still....

-lissik
310lissik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

any ways..... so i got to thinking that this might be a timing issue, the reason i noticed that is because my belt felt to loose, and so i took off the crankpully, and the OverHeadCams did not rotate with the crank when i loosened it,

i have yet to find some dam PRoBLems with this swap :

When loosening my bolts to the cams, i had one almost break on me...... dam i got to find another at the yard
i wonder what other motors have them, not the brown top...... sighhh

and a BUMP to my

other posts.......

im redoing timing that's for-sure though

anyone caare for pics???? <_<

I MIGHT AS WELL TRY TO GET MORE SI PARTS, SO I CAN STOCK UP...

IMG_0815_zps7c622eed.jpg

IMG_0820_zps9ca756ca.jpg

IMG_0819_zps50e15eb7.jpg

IMG_0827_zpsb2b2bead.jpg

IMG_0829_zpsf06e2254.jpg

7CC706BD-36F3-425F-8540-3B492AB1EE1D-475

just to let you-know car has been sting for a while now and i want to try to get this back in working condition
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Solid CEL with no blinks?

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Yes, I swaped out 2 Ecu's alrdy, check my grounds? Grrr any ideas, acid?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

The plug with blue/yellow and yellow/black wires is for iacv,this is what gave you code 20. Code 6 is for ect sensor. Solid cel usually means bad ecu.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
The plug with blue/yellow and yellow/black wires is for iacv,this is what gave you code 20. Code 6 is for ect sensor. Solid cel usually means bad ecu.
and the iacv is for the emissions correct?
ect sensor???
-I am running 0Bd-o
so, some how im burning threw my ecu correct? thats 2 ecus that are 88s that just went bad....

-sidenote, i have to reset my password every time i want to post something on here.....
-lissik
-------------------------EDIT-----LINE----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i broke a bolT* and if anyone has any will you let me know, this is for the cams/valve cover screew

Last edited by 310lissik; 05-18-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Iacv=controls the engines idle rpms.

Ect=engine coolant temp sensor.its the two wire plug on the side of the head under the dizzy.

Pull the back up fuse from the under hood fuse box for 2 mins.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Did you use the zc crank gear?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
Iacv=controls the engines idle rpms.

fack i thought that was something else.....

Ect=engine coolant temp sensor.its the two wire plug on the side of the head under the dizzy.

but its not part of the dizzy correct?

Pull the back up fuse from the under hood fuse box for 2 mins.
npt quite sure if i understand that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Did you use the zc crank gear?
i used the d16a1 cam gears, and crank?

would you fokes like to see what i have as my research? maybe you can see what i see a little....
and i mean by the diagrams that i have
Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Pretty sure you need to be using the zc crank gear as the a1 has different tooth count.so your mechanical timing may more than likely be off causing your no start issue
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

You can't mix and match the timing gears between engines.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

X( wonder what camshaft bolt i can use for a differ head..
thanks acid, i think you had or the user by the name of jilcrx told me with this comb 86-87d16 camgears, so i figured to still have the bottom one a obd-0

i have it noted that the code 20 is ELD that is from rpr
Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

There is a list of the bolts on TheZCR somewhere.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

fosho... ill do some digging ty acid

-lissik
Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

so i found some helpful information about the so called "cam-cover-bolts"
jilcrx stated, " the entire-head of the zc is the same as the 88-89 integra head (D16a1)..." {AS GOES FOR THE BOLTS [+/- CAM COVERS?]}
To day i bicycled down to the yard, and they still haven't giving them self's an update.... so i tried to look at what they had there and all of the Honda heads did not have the same diameter nor there (d15, b18,{not sure of the f and h ohhh to well})
any one have this part????
im got to give my local Honda shop a call...

just pulled out the 3" out for this build (:
Old 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

like to thank Beaver Built: Stop!
i found some pretty funy stuff on that site
Old 05-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 arny213 is learning the way of the Darny213 is learning the way of the D

It looks like your top cam gears are a tooth off, ( you cant install d16a1 cam gears on zc cams and get the cam timing correct) make sure you use the 20 tooth d16a1 crank gear, you will need(2) 40 tooth adjustable cam gears to get the cams to line up correctly, you can use the 94-97 accord adjustable cam gear, they have 40 teeth and are cheap on ebay etc.. and work perfectly, just get 2 of them, then line up your bottom gear on tdc and then use (2) 5.5mm drill bits to slide down into the last cam cap and line up the cams, then install your timing belt and then lock down the cam gears, they will be off a tad but no worries your 5.5mm pins will line up the cam gears correctly.
the eld code (20) will come up if your obd-0 because your fuse box and wire harness doesn't have it wired in correctly and depending on the fuse box you used it may not be there at all.

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER
Holy isht man! You pulled this off faster then a $20 bill in a titty bar! big props to you!

Re:ive been running the everliving *** out of this thing ALOT. beat 3 bikes in the past 2 days alone. probably nearing over 50 hwy pulls lol..still holding up awesome! its a wierd feeling because im use to having to replace the tranny by now. CG ftmfw!
---------
93 civic hatch d16 street car [email protected]

Last edited by arny213; 05-21-2013 at 07:09 PM.
arny213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 arny213 is learning the way of the Darny213 is learning the way of the D

btw the zc cam gears are 34 tooth with the crank at 17 teeth, the d16a1 cams have 40 teeth with the crank gear with 20 teeth

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER
Holy isht man! You pulled this off faster then a $20 bill in a titty bar! big props to you!

Re:ive been running the everliving *** out of this thing ALOT. beat 3 bikes in the past 2 days alone. probably nearing over 50 hwy pulls lol..still holding up awesome! its a wierd feeling because im use to having to replace the tranny by now. CG ftmfw!
---------
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I also remembered that you cant just put the d16a1 cam gears on the zc cams. you will need adjustable cam gears to get the cams timed in correctly. use the 94-97 accord adjustable cam gear its 40 tooth and will work perfectly, just order 2 of them and follow my first post to get the correct cam timing. gl

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER

---------
Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

[IMG][/IMG]
these are my accord cam gears on my ZC (pm7) cams. I have the d16a1 bock and crank gear as well

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER

---------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in