DOHC ZC Head Cut-Away - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Default DOHC ZC Head Cut-Away

So one of my DOHC ZC heads was not salvageable (guide bore problems), so it was either scrap it or experiment. Five minutes with my sawzall and it was cut in half. I was always curious where all the coolant/oil ports were for porting and clearances.

-The green is oil for the rocker arms, blue is coolant ports, and the red are the thickness of various points.
-I was surprised how little room there is from the port and coolant port on the floor. If you go too crazy with porting it will be very close to those ports.
-I was also surprised how thick the valve seats were, since these heads have "crooked" seats there is enough thickness to smooth them out.
-The intake guide bore is a lot shorter on the intake side vs the exhaust port. It looks like quite a bit of flow can be gained from smoothing out the exhaust guide area, there is plenty of room. The intake side probably shouldn't have very much removed or it seems like the guide/valve would be weakened.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Sidneyious It's a JDM Star Bitches....Sidneyious It's a JDM Star Bitches....Sidneyious It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

great stuff
Sidneyious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i was actually wondering for the same reason myself, great work! rep for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40MPGd15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Its really sad to see a zc head cut up like that......but I guess its kinda like being an organ donor huh?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
CRX KING

slebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slebidia

Awesome. Thank you.

slebidia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Let us seee . . .

Best exhaust ports on a D-series? Check.
Much better intake valve to port angle? Check.
Good short side radius on intake port? Double check.
Saying eff u to the rest of the D-series? Triple check.

Love this engine. Love the ports in the head. What you can't tell from those pictures, though, is the width of the ports, which when coupled with the other stuff above, makes for a very well flowing head!

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 slow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to allslow4doorek is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

You are a boss for doing this. For whoever could use it this is really useful. Repped you.

Quote:
Why would you wanna put pisswater in a new tranny?
[email protected] 1.9 60ft 1750lbs sedan y7/z6 notec head
stock block y7 265k and counting

[email protected] 1.8 60ft 1655lbs sedan y7/z6 head
vtec locked bisi stage 3 same ol block

Rip Pat Primmer.
slow4doorek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for pictures of head.... give me idea of what well engineered engine the DOHC CAM ZC D16A8 was

thanks again
pat88c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....

This head couldn't be saved, if it was useable I wouldn't be doing this.

I plan to use all this information in the near future for porting. Then use the other ports to do some tests with different porting techniques.

The area around the exhaust guide can really be smoothed out, now that I know there is plenty of material there. I noticed that there is always more carbon buildup there than anywhere else. So that lead me to believe it's a dead spot.

Fixing a few areas while leaving the overall size of the ports should make a good difference even on these heads.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

Porting a dead spot doesn't usually do much . . .

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

are you going to up-cycle this chunk of zc head into some furniture perhaps?
Neoburge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

anything that contributes to knowledge gets a rep from me.

thread is also stickied.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Hey OP do you mind throwing up pictures of Z6 Y8 A6 Cutaways as a comparison?

Heres a Y7

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...orts-made.html

Last edited by TheToaster; 05-06-2013 at 05:00 PM.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 12 TheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcano
TheAssassin is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Very interesting! I may do this with a spare y8.
My Build Thread

237 avg. hp 208 avg. tq 4750-7200rpm
Calculating Average Horsepower
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes porting dead spots doesn't help much, but if you see the path the exhaust has to take through the port, you see the guide area acting like a wall. It's like

I was taught any fluid likes to go in a straight line, doesn't like changing directions. But if it has to change directions it needs to be smooth and free of obstructions to maximize flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoburge View Post
are you going to up-cycle this chunk of zc head into some furniture perhaps?
Don't know what I would make, but I'm gonna keep the chunk on my table and hopefully help some people understand how an engine works. Visuals always help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
Hey OP do you mind throwing up pictures of Z6 Y8 A6 Cutaways as a comparison?
Don't have any other heads I want to cut up, maybe someone has a scrap head they wanna cut up and post pictures. What I can tell you is the DOHC head is about 2mm larger in overall diameter for port size.

Thanks guys, rep'd back.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

You are forgetting that the valve stem and the body of the valve guide are more influential to the flow in that area than what you are perceiving as a wall. If you grind that out, you may very well be increasing the dead spot effectively making the port smaller. I'd like to see what you do with the port, eventually.

Also, don't remove much material around the seats. The port throats are already over large, and removing too much material in an attempt to smooth it out perfectly WILL cost you power as you will very significantly reduce velocity through the ports. And don't go crazy worrying about the cast marks, too. They don't effect too much at all.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Last edited by eddcartes; 05-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
You are forgetting that the valve stem and the body of the valve guide are more influential to the flow in that area than what you are perceiving as a wall. If you grind that out, you may very well be increasing the dead spot effectively making the port smaller. I'd like to see what you do with the port, eventually.
Interesting, never thought of that. I guess the best thing would to try various things to see how flow is increased/decreased. Hopefully sometime soon I can rent a flow bench and try these things out.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Remember that velocity is the most important thing through a port, at least IMO. If I had a small enough TIG torch, I would actually fill in the upper hump of the roof of the exhaust port. I would also add material in on the intake port floor to increase the radius of the short side, though you can do that with Devcon, or, heaven forbid, JB Weld, rather easily.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Remember that velocity is the most important thing through a port, at least IMO. If I had a small enough TIG torch, I would actually fill in the upper hump of the roof of the exhaust port. I would also add material in on the intake port floor to increase the radius of the short side, though you can do that with Devcon, or, heaven forbid, JB Weld, rather easily.
I wouldn't feel safe using anything besides welding on a port, but seems like you could use some type of clay just for testing purposes. That way you can easily try different sizes in different spots.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Others have cut up SOHC heads but my google skills aren't high enough.

Others are.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in