hoses keeps bursting! need help! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default hoses keeps bursting! need help!

ok so its me again with a different problem this time. 91 crx si with dohc zc swap. so about a week ago i replaced the small coolant hose that connects from the iacv to the engine because it had a small hole. yesterday the small coolant hose next to it that connects from the iacv to the throttle body was leaking, it had a small hole as well. coincidence? i highly doubt it. as stated on my other thread, my car has trouble starting when its cold so i have to give it some gas for a few seconds for it to stay on. thick white smoke and i mean thick comes out of the exhaust but this only happens when i had left my car sitting for a long time. no overheating problems. everytime i open my radiator cold coolant squirts out even though i had left the car sitting overnight. the owner told me the radiator is new and it does look brand new. its from black works racing. the cap says "16lbs, 1.3" is this the right cap for my car? im starting to think its a bad head gasket but thats weird because its a new swap. previous owner swapped it 30k miles ago. and also i dont know if this is related but the car died on me once and couldnt start it. new dizzy when i bought and dizzy had oil leaking out of it a week later. bought new one and that fixed the problem.

i really like this car a lot but if its a bad head gasket im just going to sell it as is and get a new car from the dealer. mostly all the cars i buy from cl always have issues and im getting tired of it

Last edited by stunna_100; 03-11-2013 at 12:22 PM.
stunna_100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Verify a bad head gasket. If your lines have pressure after an hour or so....
A new cap with a rating of 1.1 can't hurt either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by krychek57 View Post
Verify a bad head gasket. If your lines have pressure after an hour or so....
A new cap with a rating of 1.1 can't hurt either.
any simple tests i can do besides leak down test and compression check to verify its a bad hg? i dont have those tools. as for the new cap, does it have to be from black works racing? or can i get it from a parts store?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I think autozone will rent you a kit to test the coolant in your car for exhaust gases. You could try that if a head gasket is pushing compression into the cooling system it should detect it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
I think autozone will rent you a kit to test the coolant in your car for exhaust gases. You could try that if a head gasket is pushing compression into the cooling system it should detect it.
what is that kit called?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

sounds like a hg in its first state. The thick white smoke is coolant burning.
does it go away once the car is warm up?

Kinda what im dealing with. But im pushing coolant because of boost. Plan to add arp stud, and new gasket when i have the cash.

O yea they sell a dye kit from autozone. Go to the cashier and ask them for a headgasket dye kit.

the pressure tester is ok but doesnt always show a leaking head gasket but helps with leaking hoses. And its like $100 to rent. you need the gauge and the adapter

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
sounds like a hg in its first state. The thick white smoke is coolant burning.
does it go away once the car is warm up?

Kinda what im dealing with. But im pushing coolant because of boost. Plan to add arp stud, and new gasket when i have the cash.

O yea they sell a dye kit from autozone. Go to the cashier and ask them for a headgasket dye kit.

the pressure tester is ok but doesnt always show a leaking head gasket but helps with leaking hoses. And its like $100 to rent. you need the gauge and the adapter

the smoke goes away after the first puff. as for the dye kit where do i pour it in?

Last edited by stunna_100; 03-11-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

just came from autozone and they actually didnt have the dye kit for a head gasket leak. just rented the compression tester and bought the hose. what do i need to unplug before performing the compression test? i searched and got some different opinions on what to disable. im going to replace the hose tomorrow after i come home from work and see if the problem comes back. ill keep this thread updated.

Last edited by stunna_100; 03-11-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

You could just jump the starter for the compression test.
But mainly u need to unplug the dizzy and disable fuel.
You can unplug the injector clips if u like.

Then give her about 7-10 crank while the thortle is wide open

. RIP

Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

ok i just found out what those little suckers are called. its the coolant bypass hose. just wanted to clear that up
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

headgasket has lost its seal between waterjacket and cyl. I had the same issue...I ended up replacing all but 1 coolant hose, they just went one to one, and so one, my aluminum radiator at this point has ballooned out. I also never had a overheating issue, e=ven on the dyno it never went over 200*

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Either a cracked sleeve or blown head gasket by the sounds of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdh20 View Post
headgasket has lost its seal between waterjacket and cyl. I had the same issue...I ended up replacing all but 1 coolant hose, they just went one to one, and so one, my aluminum radiator at this point has ballooned out. I also never had a overheating issue, e=ven on the dyno it never went over 200*
Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
Either a cracked sleeve or blown head gasket by the sounds of it.
ahh how sure are u guys? i hope not i just replaced both of the coolant bypass hoses. going to do the compression test tomorrow didnt have enough time today had to stay ot for work. if it leaks again bye bye rex =[. only time will tell
Old 03-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Compression test wont tell you anything.

I will take your CRX if you decide to throw it out because a $100 engine died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

got the compression test results. just disconnected the ecu fuse and did it with an open throttle. each cyclinder was tested 4 times, yes 4 times just to be sure! waited a good minute before resetting the gauge to make sure the needle doesnt drop and it didnt drop at all. so here are the results

cylinder 1: 200
cylinder 2: 195
cylinder 3: 195
cylinder 4: 200

i dont really know the right numbers where its suppose to be at but im guessing the results are good?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunna_100 View Post
got the compression test results. just disconnected the ecu fuse and did it with an open throttle. each cyclinder was tested 4 times, yes 4 times just to be sure! waited a good minute before resetting the gauge to make sure the needle doesnt drop and it didnt drop at all. so here are the results

cylinder 1: 200
cylinder 2: 195
cylinder 3: 195
cylinder 4: 200

i dont really know the right numbers where its suppose to be at but im guessing the results are good?
Good number. Around 190psi is normal. 120psi is low.

But it still could be a small of coolant into the cylinders.
Or it could just be old hoses breaking because there old and tired.

And overheating or coolant lost?
And oil lost?

. RIP

Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Good number. Around 190psi is normal. 120psi is low.

But it still could be a small of coolant into the cylinders.
Or it could just be old hoses breaking because there old and tired.

And overheating or coolant lost?
And oil lost?
no overheating no oil loss. i will monitor for a couple of days if there's any coolant loss, ill keep u updated. thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

ok so im losing coolant slowly in the reservoir. no leaks or anything underneath the car.talked to one of my mechanic friends over the phone and he said he doesnt think its a head gasket problem since it not blowing white smoke all the time. he thinks it leaking from the water pump slowly.

also another problem came up. 2 days after doing the compression test my cel light came on. it was code 7-throttle angle, code 8-tdc position and code 15 ignition output signal. i removed the ecu fuse and disconnected the negative battery cable for an hour and now im only getting code 8 the other two codes disappeared but i will check on that again tomorrow just in case it comes back. i read that code 8 is a dizzy problem. i just replaced the dizzy 2 weeks ago for a new one. when starting the car i have to wait for it to crank more probably like 2 seconds more before it starts up. could it be that i messed up the ignition coil when i was doing the compression test? i only took out the ecu fuse for the test to disable the fuel pump and im guessing that would disable spark also am i correct? could it be a wiring issue messing up my dizzy? is it safe to drive my car with that code on? thanks in advance

not giving up on this car just yet lol
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Pressure.test the.system. There is guides online on how to make one for cheap.
If your pump air into the rad. And there is a coolant leak ot will show u.

And hg dont always mean clouds of smoke, sometimes its just a smal leak that will leak till warm or leak when its just a lil too hot and under load.

. RIP

Old 03-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

ok so this is weird, i started up my car this afternoon and it cranked up fine and the cel light was gone then 1 minute later when i was about to exit parking lot cel light came back on again. wiring issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in