Hks dohc zc cams? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Crix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default Hks dohc zc cams?

Soo i just bought a pair of dohc zc cams with the stampings. "japan" and "hks" on them, for $100. Anybody know the value on them? And how much i would possibly pick up on power gains? Im running a zc on 10 pounds with a garrett super 60.

I know a little history on them, not much.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

They are worth what people are willing to pay.

You can try them, and since they are a mild NA cam, with cam gears, they might work pretty well with a turbo.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Crix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like BoratCrix smells like Borat

Cool im prolly gonna throw em in today. I dont have adjustable cam gears though... :/ are they required?

Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

No, but you will make more power with adjustables, usually to tighten up the LSA a bit by retarding the exhaust cam.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ah!!!! Good info thanks! Ill bee putting them on my shopping list! But i gotta get these cams in asap! Ifo is next weekend!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

how did the cams work for you?
40MPGd15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 ninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagle

in for news on the cams...

88-89'??? crx hf special edition w/zc/z6 H.Comp,4n2 I.H.E,zc tranny w/1st stage street clutch, Si fly wheel, custom dual exhaust(y pipe), H&R suspension w/front to back sway bars,struts,heavy coils, shortshifter. milled z6 head, skunk 2 cam.

new edelbrock mani coming soon.
ninjajp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 arny213 is learning the way of the Darny213 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
No, but you will make more power with adjustables, usually to tighten up the LSA a bit by retarding the exhaust cam.
there are SOO many variables when determining adjustable cam settings on a FI motor that we don't have time nor the the patience to completely discuss all the in and outs of each setup, my best advice to you is to use a dyno and adjust in small increments, usually advancing, and never advancing the intake more than 4*. you will notice a difference in how the power comes in and where it comes in.
1. The tighter the LSA the more your engine will scavange at the top end, and you will see better top end results at the cost of some spool and torque down low.
2. The wider the LSA the higher your exhaust pressures will be before the turbo, so you will spool quicker, but the top end scavanging will not be as good,
sooo you need to tailor your cam gears to the power band you desire, and its usually the LAST thing your tuner will do. dialing in your AFR's and timing will be infinitely more crutial. in other words get a good tune or adjustable cams are nothing but heavier rotating masses....

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER
Holy isht man! You pulled this off faster then a $20 bill in a titty bar! big props to you!

Re:ive been running the everliving *** out of this thing ALOT. beat 3 bikes in the past 2 days alone. probably nearing over 50 hwy pulls lol..still holding up awesome! its a wierd feeling because im use to having to replace the tranny by now. CG ftmfw!
---------
93 civic hatch d16 street car [email protected]
arny213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Yes, but the correct LSA coupled with the correct IVCA and EVCA will make more power and spool to turbo better.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 ninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagleninjajp is fly like an eagle

LOL how many sites are u on beaver?

just ran into the crx forum and see ur name there too,

so lobe separation and intake valve closing angle and exhaust valve...how do you know they are correct, is there a set amount of parameters, and u just work until you find your own setting? or r there correct numbers depending on the build?

im asking cause i would assume that you would have them sit at the correct angle from installation, as opposed to fixing them again and again.

88-89'??? crx hf special edition w/zc/z6 H.Comp,4n2 I.H.E,zc tranny w/1st stage street clutch, Si fly wheel, custom dual exhaust(y pipe), H&R suspension w/front to back sway bars,struts,heavy coils, shortshifter. milled z6 head, skunk 2 cam.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Not as many as Bone.

The IVCA generally determines where peak power is made, sooner lowering the peak and later raising the peak (in terms of RPM, not how much or little power is made).

Correct is determined by where you wish to make power.

A DOHC and cam gears make things pretty easy, heh

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

gotcha.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 arny213 is learning the way of the Darny213 is learning the way of the D

here's a good article to start reading with if your serious about cam timing, but i've read varying opinions about the FI section on the bottom. but at least this will get you in the ball park.... Cam Gear Tuning | Adjustable Gear Tuning | Cam Wheels

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER
Holy isht man! You pulled this off faster then a $20 bill in a titty bar! big props to you!

Re:ive been running the everliving *** out of this thing ALOT. beat 3 bikes in the past 2 days alone. probably nearing over 50 hwy pulls lol..still holding up awesome! its a wierd feeling because im use to having to replace the tranny by now. CG ftmfw!
---------
93 civic hatch d16 street car [email protected]
arny213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Just a little update. Been super busy. Cams work great!!!! Had problems getting it to idle. It likes to idle around 12-10 vac. Cams have same lift, but duration is higher.

Didn't have a good source of vac/ boost line to wastegate from the get go apparently... Cut at 10 pounds no problem with stock cams, the hks cams peaked me at 13-14. Re routed some boost lines and got it back to 10.

The power band comes in at around 4,500-5,500, tends to gradually fall after that. 2nd gear with dx tranny blows the tires off at this point without a gear change.

Still need to tweak with the tune a bit. Afr's are dialed in during boost, I retarded the timing .50 degrees as opposed to stock cams via crome, and seemed to yield better results.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

You shouldn't have any issues getting them to idle. Send me a copy of your tune and I'll poke around and see if I can't help you get it to idle better.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

No tune or what tune mentioned in his build thread. So who knows...
digdug18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in