New to DOHC ZC and need help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Syn
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation New to DOHC ZC and need help

I recently got a Dohc Zc and I would like to know what my options are. From What I can tell Turbo is a good way to go. I would like to get 200+ whp in the end and be able to daily drive the car. The ZC I got was already on its way to being turbo ready and i want to know if everything that has been done is actually on the right path. I am a really curious because the owner befor me did all the work on it as follows

-CRC Vitara pistons
-Nippon rings
-Fj custom length forged rods
-ARP head studs
-ACL rod bearings
-Cometic head gasket
-block notched to clear larger connecting rods
-Block bored .5mm over and bores aligned
-cylinders are .034 larger diameter of piston to allow expansion in high boost
-head milled 2mm
-hand-lapped valve job
-ported intake and exhaust runners
-micro polished crank

This is what i know. The guy I bought it from said it was turbo ready but I have seen a lot of posts that say vitara and dohc zc are bad and what not. It is in my 89 crx si now and I am running it n/a atm. If anyone could let me know it is ready for turbo or not as this is my first turbo project and im as new as it gets. thanks
Syn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 firsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

vitara's and DOHC d is not a good combo. the combustion chamber in the head is quite large and will give you a very low compression ratio. better bet is to get a smaller dish forged piston. they are a little more expensive but they are stronger and more resilant to detonation.

if you go wil low compression your car will be gutless when it's not in boost and result in a slightly slower spool time for the turbo.

try find a set up that will be around 9.5:1 compression. personlay i wouldn't go below 8.8:1

i'm not sure what you have for tuning, but it is pretty much the most important part. look into it now and the cost before you commit to turbo parts.

this site is really useful for finding compression ratio's

Honda D-Series Compression Calculator by ZealAutowerks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

words from a wise man
Quote:
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
RIP Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
firsteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

With the head milled 2mm . . . this is almost acceptable.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cory jordan Send a message via MSN to cory jordan

*side note* anyone notice the recent influx of dohc zc love lately... or the interest?.. just putting it out there.

that build seems to be pretty spot on, sans the vitara pistons .. compression shouldnt be crazy low with the head milled that much. what are the length of the rods?

gone but never forgotten
cory jordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 DDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Im looking to build my ZC as well but with higher compression pistons with the fjr spec rods.... only thing im wondering and you should as well is if we would have to notch our blocks

from what i understand all d series need notched except d15

i have y8 vitara build with eagle rods waiting for its time but that is the one thing i really hated doing... especially since i got it bored honed and decked then realized the rods didnt clear so i had to pretty much restart after i notched

Stock internals
Ramhorn
Mystery Master power turbo(supposedly super 60)
Dsm 450 injectors
Walbro 255
10 psi
Intercooled!
Tuned on Crome

I always forget to say what setup i have so here it is
DDream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory jordan View Post
*side note* anyone notice the recent influx of dohc zc love lately... or the interest?.. just putting it out there.

that build seems to be pretty spot on, sans the vitara pistons .. compression shouldnt be crazy low with the head milled that much. what are the length of the rods?
They are getting to be super cheap again. It is cyclical. No one wants them, so guys grab them for cheap and even some people think they are getting an LS. heh

I still don't like Vitaras especially in a DOHC D, but milling the head that much is a good start.

I really, really can't stress this enough: If you are building a DOHC D, get the Race Engineering D16A1 pistons on standard rods. Spend the extra money now and NEVER have to worry about your bottom end again, unless you are aiming for 500+.

You will have to notch the block with the FJR-spec rods. How do I know? I have a block sitting in my shop with them for notching. heh

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Syn
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I believe I am at 8.6:1 as far as compression.
Syn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crx, dohc, dohc zc, turbo, vitara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in