Timing cover Bolts, which to order? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Timing cover Bolts, which to order?

Sorry if its been posted, I couldnít find it.
Anyone know which bolts to order from Honda or Acura for the timing covers (upper and lower) on the DOHC ZC? I picked up the 44mm and 22mm ones from the 88-89 Integra, and they donít seem to be the right lengths.
99 CRV RT4WD
86 BMW R80RT
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

You can't. You get them with your engine, or pay way too much for them from other people. I've seen timing cover sets cost more than buying a darn engine.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Beav

I dont actually need the covers themselves, I have those, just the bolts that hold them in place. Are the bolts ZC specific too?

Im sure I could find some at the hardware store to fit, I just thought Id grab them from honda or Acura.
99 CRV RT4WD
86 BMW R80RT

Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

Oh. The bolts. I just buy threaded rod in the right thread pitch and make my own stuff if I need to.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yup, Looks like thatís going to be the solution. I try to support my local Honda parts guy if I can.

Iím blown away the hardware for the 88-89 Teg covers donít work. Off to the hardware store I guess.
99 CRV RT4WD
86 BMW R80RT
Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

You have to order valve cover bolts from an LS, IIRC for the short ones and then for the tall ones, I think from a GSR, but it was sooooo long ago the last time I bought stuff that I can't vouch for the accuracy of my statements.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat

21 90225-PM7-000 BOLT,FLANGE,6X22 or 90225-PG6-000 Acura BOLT, FLANGE (6X20)
25 & 26 95701-06022-08 BOLT,FLANGE,6X22
27 95701-06032-08 BOLT,FLANGE,6X32

Last edited by lex; 10-10-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added the upper one.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Now that is darned useful!

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 12 TheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcano
TheAssassin is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I'd personally never buy bolts from a dealership. I'd either take them off my parts cars or buy them from the hardware store. I don't even want to ask how much they'd cost from the dealer.
My Build Thread

237 avg. hp 208 avg. tq 4750-7200rpm
Calculating Average Horsepower
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Lex, I havenít check this thread in a few days, came back and found your post. It was the number 27s I couldnít figure out.
Thank you again, very helpful!!
99 CRV RT4WD
86 BMW R80RT
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I buy hardware from Honda. It fits perfectly and is actually VERY good, better than what you can usually find locally, even at a very good fastener store.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Really? For bolts like timing belt cover bolts? How great does the quality need to be for such unstressed fasteners? The cost to worth ratio doesn't seem low enough to me to buy them from the dealer. I can understand wanting to buy factory specific bolts for "more important" applications. Is that what you were referring to?
My Build Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat

Honda BOLT, FLANGE (6X22), Genuine Honda part: 957010602208, Retail Price: $0.92, Your Price: $0.66,
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAssassin View Post
Really? For bolts like timing belt cover bolts? How great does the quality need to be for such unstressed fasteners? The cost to worth ratio doesn't seem low enough to me to buy them from the dealer. I can understand wanting to buy factory specific bolts for "more important" applications. Is that what you were referring to?
Most of the hardware at hardware stores sucks. You cannot get perfectly fitting hardware for very specific applications without ordering the stock stuff . . .

And most of the hardware costs are really reasonable, actually.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Is the stock hardware stainless steel? I usually only buy stainless for exterior applications. For the very specific requirements (such as having a shoulder a certain length or head a certain shape), I just take the necessary bolts off of my parts cars.

Could you inform me as to how the hardware store's hardware "sucks?" I'm going to guess that there are different levels of tolerances between threads, materials specs, etc. just as there are different levels of chemical purity e.g. A.C.S. grade.
My Build Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I can break most stuff from Home Despot easily without much trouble.

It is MUCH harder to break Honda hardware. Possible, sure, but a lot harder.

Almost anything made in China and cheap likely does not meet ANSI, ASTM, etc. standards for tensile and shear strength because of very poor alloy content control when smelting ores and refining metal. Also, the threads are cut poorly throwing off torque application. Also, and very annoyingly, the heads on the bolts are not even centered in many cases due to mold flaws that just aren't fixed.

There are a lot of other small issues, but those are just the most obvious and annoying and dangerous of the bunch. If metal isn't made in Germany, Japan, the US or some parts of Europe, I will not trust it in critical applications. Other stuff can be made well, for example, many refineries are doing very well in Brazil and some other South American countries. Taiwan has some actually excellent facilities, too. But, again, I won't trust most stuff that doesn't get made in countries without a history of adherence to international materials standards.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAssassin View Post
I'd personally never buy bolts from a dealership. I'd either take them off my parts cars or buy them from the hardware store. I don't even want to ask how much they'd cost from the dealer.
For me in this case its more about having the absolute correct parts on the finished build if possible. I donít have any spares of these bolts kicking around to compare to, so if I can just picked them up at Acura or Honda, I figure why not.
99 CRV RT4WD
86 BMW R80RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in