CPS sensor removal from housing? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default CPS sensor removal from housing?

Did a search, didn’t find this, if its out there please let me know what you searched to find it….

I went and picked up a new CPS sensor for my DOHC ZC today. The shop got me JUST the sensor, not the housing, so it’s up to me to put it in. No big deal, but now I can’t figure out how to remove the Spinning actuator to get the sensor out of the case.

Has anyone done this before? There are two screws to hold in the sensor, but at the end of the rod that the cam spins, there is the “actuator” for the sensor. Its larger than the hole on the sensor mount, it needs to be removed upward to remove the sensor itself. Picture below. Im talking about removing the peice with the white line on it.

I don’t see any screws, am I supposed to just force it off? Its really on there, doesn’t want to just slide off…..
99 CRV RT4WD
86 BMW R80RT
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

flip the sensor over.mark the center piece for reference ....remove the circlip thing...remove the pin take assembly apart the rest of.the way...
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thank you sir, Didnt think to do it that way. Now I just have to figure out how to get the little internal circlip off without breaking it.

Thanks again!
99 CRV RT4WD
86 BMW R80RT

Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano

its like a keyring essentially .....take a small pick and work it off in a circular manner
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

A few sore thumbs and some stab wound from picks and its off. New sensor in, and should be ready to rock.

Of course I did realize as I put it back together I didn’t mark the damn sensor, so it may be 180 off. We will see when I finally fire this thing up I guess.

Thanks again for the help.
99 CRV RT4WD
86 BMW R80RT
Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

guess I.should've emphasized marking the sensor .....now that you know how to take it apart it should be easy enough to switch back.

but the real question is why are u replacing the sensor in the first place? was it out of spec. or getting a code?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

The not marking the sensor was totally my fault. Saw you posted it, I just got so involved in getting the damn ring off, I totally forgot lol.

Actually the only reason I’m replacing it is I’m rebuilding the motor. I have had this ZC swapped into another car YEARS ago. Its probably be almost a decade since it was pulled out. Finally getting it put back together and put my JRSC on it to go back in my EF. I’m not “mechanically inclined” as they say so all learning for me. Its still on the stand, just getting everything buttoned up.

If an effort to make it all as clean as possible I wanted the Clip on the end, so I can use the Rywire adapter for the wiring instead of repining it. I have several of these sensors in housings, all have had the connector cut off to rewire them on old swaps jobs.

Ridiculous I know, but such is the way my brain works.
99 CRV RT4WD
86 BMW R80RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in