Z6 headgasket on a DOHC ZC - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Z6 headgasket on a DOHC ZC

Supposedly the the MLS z6 gaskets fit an DOHC ZC, allowing you to have a decent MLS gasket with out paying Cometic prices.

Has any one fitted one and can tell me what modifications were needed or adjustments ?

Thanks
skull-candy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

For one, the head bolt holes might be to small.

I am 99% sure they don't fit.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my intro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I could see a Z6 HG fitting a SOHC ZC, but I'm almost positive it won't fit a DOHC ZC. You need to look for an HG for a 1988/89 Integra.

Last edited by JBrettHowell; 09-28-2012 at 03:03 AM.
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer View Post
For one, the head bolt holes might be to small.

I am 99% sure they don't fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrettHowell View Post
I could see a Z6 HG fitting a SOHC ZC, but I'm almost positive it won't fit a DOHC ZC. You need to look for an HG for a 1988/89 Integra.
X2 I'm with these guys
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

Don't fit or i woulda used one lol

Sent from my ZTE-Z990 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

I tried one years ago u have to open all the hole to recieve 11mm bolts and move to holes outwards, it worked great but we forgot to shave down the dowel pins and it started leaking coolant out the front of the engine.

sk8bdr15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the pictures, your head and gasket look different to mine, here is my input.

Here it aligns pretty good, 2 coolant holes are blocked on the right water jackets, these could be carefully drilled open though

And top right headstud needs opening with a dremel.

Here we can see the 2 bottom oil ways, the gasket does not clear them so oil would leak out to the outside of the engine.

Overall I don't think a z6 gasket can be used.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Just an update, I have been talking to someone who did use a z6 gasket with his DOHC ZC.

To get around the 2 gap at the front he sealed it with some high temp sealant (I imagine Hondabond would work) I think this would work as it is not a pressured area, just a gravity oil drip. He also filed the top right stud hole.

Overall I can see this working but it seems a little bit bodged to me, I'm going to use the stock gasket for now and If I suffer from head gasket reliability I will then look into the mls gasket at a later date.

Also with skimmed heads you will need to file down the dowels.

Hope this info is useful for anyone who can't get on with the standard gasket (maybe useful to turbo guys ?)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

They make aftermarket DOHC ZC/D16A1 head gaskets and OEM ones are available. The Z6 cost pretty much the same, the Y8 is at least half the price. IMO, it's pointless to "modify" a head gasket to fit when the correct one is available.

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

I've only seen cometic for the d16a9, and of the 3 that I know have been used, they all leaked. Even on Nasp engines.
Have you got a link ? And I think the d16a1 is different to the a9.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull-candy18 View Post
I've only seen cometic for the d16a9, and of the 3 that I know have been used, they all leaked. Even on Nasp engines.
Have you got a link ? And I think the d16a1 is different to the a9.
It's not, DOHC ZC OEM Head gasket is the 88-89 Integra (USDM). If their head gaskets leaked, then they had other problems you didn't know about.

Right in the middle, there is the DOHC ZC

Race Engineering, Inc - Gaskets-Cometic MLS

Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
CRX KING

slebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slebidia

I've had the same experience with Cometics on the ZC as well as a few friends.

There's not "good" way to redrill the dowel location on the Z6 gasket so it can be used with the ZC so I would have to say no it won't work.

I've never had issues with the stock gasket even under boost.

slebidia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slebidia View Post
I've had the same experience with Cometics on the ZC as well as a few friends.

There's not "good" way to redrill the dowel location on the Z6 gasket so it can be used with the ZC so I would have to say no it won't work.

I've never had issues with the stock gasket even under boost.
Did they have the block/head resurfaced to a fine level? The stock D16A1 head gaskets are graphite and conform to rougher surfaces better, while the MLS need a finer surface to seal properly. If you install correctly you shouldn't have problems, I've used them the correct way on maybe 5-10 engines without a single issue. I don't know what you guys are doing wrong

Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

500+HP isn't so good with them. Nearly every high HP DOHC ZC has used the now defunct HKS gasket or the Cometic.

For anything else, I will just spray a gasket with copper gasket spray and rock on without thinking twice.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

I use the Cometic on DOHC D builds. Install properly (correct surface finish, clean, etc) and you won't have a problem.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the help. I'll use the stock one on this bottom end while I rebuild a different bottom end and get that machined flat for a cometic.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

For Cometic or OEM, It needs to be flat. The difference is smooth.

The thin layer metal gaskets NEED a very smooth and flat surface both sides.

The OEM composite gaskets NEED a slightly rough or grainy and flat surface both sides. They are a little more forgiving of not quite flat, but if you are going to push them hard, the surface still needs to be dead flat for optimum performance.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

my CRX thread

my intro

Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Exclamation d16z6 head swp

does anyone know if i do a d16z6 head swap on a d16y7 block will i need to swap obd harness also
HONDAWHORE236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAWHORE236 View Post
does anyone know if i do a d16z6 head swap on a d16y7 block will i need to swap obd harness also

Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAWHORE236 View Post
What I do know is you should start your own thread instead of jacking someone elses

my CRX thread

my intro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in