D16zc in an 88 STD hatch??? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16zc in an 88 STD hatch???

I thought to replace my hatch's stock engine for a d16zc I came across. Besides the engine gearbox and ECU what else would I need? Will I need a set of axles as well? Or anything else or info would be helpful.

Thanks again.
Jungle_88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

If only this information were available in some easily searchable format...
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Wading through your BS and sarcasm I assume you mean a search engine like to Google or a forum like D-series.org. But hey I'll let you feel clever =D, I'm gonna assume you are not able to answer my question but needed to feel important.

I know it can be done and I have a fairly good idea of what is needed to get it done was just looking for ends and outs of persons experiences and issues they may have run into. haha but lucky me I got you to answer. Perhaps someone with more knowledge then the both of us will post...
Thanks anyways BRO....

Last edited by Jungle_88; 09-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect

I take it you have a d15b2 which is dual point fuel injection so you will have to swap to mpfi. also you canuse your current tranny but the zc tranny is geared better. go to google and type in "the zc swap"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<<---- Soon to be Boosted
95hatchkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_88 View Post
Wading through your BS and sarcasm I assume you mean a search engine like to Google or a forum like D-series.org. But hey I'll let you feel clever =D, I'm gonna assume you are not able to answer my question but needed to feel important.

I know it can be done and I have a fairly good idea of what is needed to get it done was just looking for ends and outs of persons experiences and issues they may have run into. haha but lucky me I got you to answer. Perhaps someone with more knowledge then the both of us will post...
Thanks anyways BRO....
Well played - I'll be sure to want to help you now.
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You will have convert to MPFI as yours is DPFI. So you will either need to modify your harness or get an SI harness.

This is a huge help to almost all your questions

88-91 CRX/EF Civic Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) -- (your input is needed) - Honda-Tech

ZCspeed ZC Swap FAQ

DOHC ZC swap EF

And don't give JBH to much shit for telling you to spend the 2.5 minutes I did and get the info because it's kinda like were doing this...

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 32 si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to si-hatch86 Send a message via MSN to si-hatch86 Send a message via Yahoo to si-hatch86

Lazy ass noobs are soo needy now days and lazy as shit too. Had op typed exactly what the thread title was into google he would have found the answer instead of trying to sound cool on a forum and end up looking like a jackass

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-hatch86 View Post
Lazy ass noobs are soo needy now days and lazy as shit too. Had op typed exactly what the thread title was into google he would have found the answer instead of trying to sound cool on a forum and end up looking like a jackass
haha I did type in the title you are taking about and found hits on google that covered things similar to it but didn't really get to the meat of anything just more of your " lame ass" attitude in all that I still had questions. Yes I am noob and yeah I'm gonna ask a lot of questions, deal with it big guy. One thing I have learned and noticed is that there a lot of guys like you who wanna make comments just for the sake of making one and its almost always a negative one about a noob being lazy or uninformed. I would think that I am taking a proactive approach and asking as many questions as I can but I would not expect someone like you to understand that way of thinking. I bet your wanna those kinda guys that calls a distributor a DIZZY right lol???
Old 09-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
You will have convert to MPFI as yours is DPFI. So you will either need to modify your harness or get an SI harness.

This is a huge help to almost all your questions

88-91 CRX/EF Civic Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) -- (your input is needed) - Honda-Tech

ZCspeed ZC Swap FAQ

DOHC ZC swap EF

And don't give JBH to much shit for telling you to spend the 2.5 minutes I did and get the info because it's kinda like were doing this...

Thanks this really helped out a lot thanks man
Old 09-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95hatchkid View Post
I take it you have a d15b2 which is dual point fuel injection so you will have to swap to mpfi. also you canuse your current tranny but the zc tranny is geared better. go to google and type in "the zc swap"
No its a d15b1 yes it is a dual point, I am already working on rebuilding a 1991 Si gearbox from a CRX

Thanks for your help
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

You probably shouldn't bash the people that know what you are trying to find out(plenty of info out there).

BTW I have done this exact swap, never needed to ask the question you are asking because I researched it and found numerous threads on what is needed.

P.S. Grammer is not your forte.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.

Last edited by rico58204; 09-18-2012 at 01:53 PM.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 di5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Not being a dick or anything but the search feature here will be your best friend if you are trying to find answers to questions that have already been asked (and answered) a million times. I searched this board for a good 9 to 10 months before even registering a name

D-series.org - Search Forums

https://www.d-series.org/forums/gener...some-time.html
- 813 & 727

[4G] Still looking...
[5G] 94 EH9 D16Z6 - current build - #eh9build
[6G] 98 EJ8 D16Y8 - given to a club member
[7G] 04 ES1 D17A1 - TOTALED OUT
[8G] 07 FA5 K20Z3 - current daily - #fa5build
[10G] 17 FK7 L15B7 Turbo - children transporter

di5order is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico58204 View Post
You probably shouldn't bash the people that know what you are trying to find out(plenty of info out there).

BTW I have done this exact swap, never needed to ask the question you are asking because I researched it and found numerous threads on what is needed.

P.S. Grammer is not your forte.
Nice of you to bash my grammar, as your bash me for "bashing" the two previous person who bashed me lol

In all seriousness though your right my apologies to all I am new at this

If you have any info or insight to give about the swap it would be helpful. If not that is fine either way lol.

I will put in more time to research before I ask such a simple question. lol
Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by di5order View Post
Not being a dick or anything but the search feature here will be your best friend if you are trying to find answers to questions that have already been asked (and answered) a million times. I searched this board for a good 9 to 10 months before even registering a name

D-series.org - Search Forums

https://www.d-series.org/forums/gener...some-time.html
No sir your not being a dick at all, that last link made it clear to me. Thanks for the heads up and looking out.

I have been using the search are here and it really has helped. I just need to dig a little harder.

Thanks Again
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

the zc is a pretty straight forward swap. just research the hell out of the mpfi conversion. consult the zc parts list as you will need different radiator hoses and a couple other misc things.
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

The DPFI to MPFI will probably be the hardest part of the swap, everything else is pretty much bolt on/in. But I would say that because I don't like wiring anything.

The Si trans you have, do you know what year it is or can you count the splines on the input shaft

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect

A lot of people say the 88 si transmission is different than 89-91 but I forget who it was that completely disagreed with that statement. So I don't know what to belive about the 88 si vs 89-91 si transmissions.

To the op, don't forget to get ex/si knuckles so you can run the si transmission. I believe si has 21 splines and the std has 23spline.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95hatchkid View Post
A lot of people say the 88 si transmission is different than 89-91 but I forget who it was that completely disagreed with that statement. So I don't know what to belive about the 88 si vs 89-91 si transmissions.
To the op, don't forget to get ex/si knuckles so you can run the si transmission. I believe si has 21 splines and the std has 23spline.
The knuckles do not need to be changed as long as he uses his stock axles

The 88 trans regardless os Si dx or STD or even ZC will have 21 splines on the input shaft, everything else has 20 splines. This makes a big difference on clutch choices.

Quote:
Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

^^ glad you cleared that up for me. +rep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in