JDM DOHC ZC or D16A1 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default JDM DOHC ZC or D16A1

For purposes of troubleshooting a code-related issue (possibly a timing issue), I'm trying to figure out if my 89 teg's current engine is JDM (ZC 2nd gen/blacktop) or USDM (D16A1).

The original engine in the car was certainly USDM. It was replaced a few months ago. The engine was installed by the local Honda dealer (they're the only people nearby that have a clue about older Hondas, and their level of service has really been quite good so far).

Here's what I know about the current engine:

1) As I recall, the service manager said this engine was shipped from Japan, supposedly pulled from an '88 Japanese teg, guaranteed to have 40k or less miles on it. Supposedly, the reason it was pulled was due to engine swaps for emissions reasons. So, at least from the apparent history of the engine, it should be JDM, and thus ZC.

2) The cam gears are for certain the USDM cam gears. From what I understand from my research, the USDM gears are stamped and the JDM gears are cast; it'd be impossible to mix them up.

3) The engine looks like the JDM engine as shown on a post on this site, however, I am not sure if there is a visible difference between the fully assembled engines (read: what I can see without taking anything apart) without doing some serious gymnastics.

Is there a way I can tell these engines apart with relative ease? My workspace is an apartment driveway and my tools are limited to wrenches and screwdrivers. Is there a specific place I can look for a model number? Are the model numbers on the JDM and USDM 88-89 teg engines located in different enough places that location alone would be enough to tell the models apart?

Thanks for any info that's available.
Aposiopesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

The d16a1 uses a rear mounted drivers side mount. Also there Is a thread on here showing different gens of the sohc zc.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingciv View Post
The d16a1 uses a rear mounted drivers side mount. Also there Is a thread on here showing different gens of the sohc zc.
And just to make absolute sure here, we're talking about the blacktop DOHC ZC put in the JDM 88/89 tegs (the one that's basically a D16A1 with better cams), and not the blacktop ZC's put in the late 80s/early 90s CRX?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

So this is interesting... I managed to locate the stamp where the engine number on a D16A1/ZC is supposed to be and the damned thing is blank. Completely blank. Tried wiping off, clean as a whistle... almost looks like the thing was sanded or something. The only other noteworthy thing is the small stamp directly below it that says "PG6" and "2-0" below that, but I don't know if that really says anything.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

post pic of said engine please
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

I will post pics ASAP.

In the meantime, is there any way I can easily identify the difference between the JDM and USDM camshafts (not the gears, just the shafts) just by popping off the valve cover?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

This may help a lot.. which cams are these?

This guy here provides excellent pictures of D16A1, PG6, and PM7 camshafts. At this point, all I need to know is which of these 3 camshaft types belong to the JDM 88-89 Integra DOHC ZC engine.

Link to photos: silentdork818's world!

My guesses, but I cannot be certain:

D16A1 = The USDM 88-89 engine (not the 86-87 version of the D16A1 nor the JDM version of the 88-89 engine)

PG6 = 86-87 USDM D16A1

PM7 = 88-89 JDM DOHZ ZC (blacktop integra) cams

Please affirm this info or correct me if I am wrong in my guesses.

Last edited by Aposiopesis; 08-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 arny213 is learning the way of the Darny213 is learning the way of the D

the jdm zc should have a ZC stamp on the back of the motor by the starter. the camshafts should have a pm7 stamped in the middle of them. there is little difference between the 4 bolt valve cover jdm integra blacktop and the usdm 88-89 teg blacktop. only in tuning the pcm and cams. and the jdm engine is quite rare. the rest is exactly the same. did you also get the jdm trans with the engine? if your not using it id pick it up from ya!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER
Holy isht man! You pulled this off faster then a $20 bill in a titty bar! big props to you!

Re:ive been running the everliving *** out of this thing ALOT. beat 3 bikes in the past 2 days alone. probably nearing over 50 hwy pulls lol..still holding up awesome! its a wierd feeling because im use to having to replace the tranny by now. CG ftmfw!
---------
93 civic hatch d16 street car [email protected]

Last edited by arny213; 08-09-2012 at 09:28 AM.
arny213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in