DIY Integra GSR Shifter install into Civic - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 16 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense
Post DIY Integra GSR Shifter install into Civic

This is just a quick and dirty howto on installing a gsr shifter into a civic. Why the gsr shifter? It is a dual bend shifter (like the skunk2), has a noticeably shorter throw than the stock civic shifter and they go for cheap on ebay.

I picked up the OEM GSR shifter on ebay for $5.99 shipped.

Here is a pic of the stock civic and gsr shifter side by side.

You will notice that the handle is a little shorter/lower on the GSR and the shaft that connects to the shift linkage is a little longer than the stock civic shifter.

Measurements are as follows :

Knob to ball
Integra : 240mm
Civic: 252mm

Ball to Linkage
Integra: 55mm
Civic: 47mm

After doing the math, looks like a 20% reduction in throw using the stock GSR shifter compared to the civic shifter.

Now unfortunately this is not just a plug and play install. The GSR is wider at the shift linkage than the civic is. The Civic is exactly 25.4mm (1") wide, whereas the GSR is 35.4mm wide. To make things more complicated, the GSR is offset as well as shown in the next picture :

I've heard of some people modifying the shift linkage on the civic to install the shifter. I really wasn't too big on that idea. So I broke out the trusty dremel and a cut-off wheel and hacked 2mm off one side of the GSR shifter and 8mm off the other.

When doing this mod, you will notice that the shifter has a bushing pressed into the end. Be sure to remove the bushing from the GSR shifter before cutting it down to size. You can probably push the bushing out with your fingers and be sure to wear eye protection while doing the cutting. I had metal flakes and sparks flying everywhere. When you are done, you can remove the bushing from the stock civic shifter and slide it into your modified GSR shifter.

As for the actual short shifter install part. Take a look at this : http://www.hazone.com/hshortshift.htm

So how does it feel? I'm still getting used to it, but its kinda stiff. However I'm also using Energy Suspension urethane shift stabilizer bushings I'm sure that I'll get used to it. The throw is noticeably shorter but I like it thus far. However it helps that I also have a GSR shift knob installed on the shifter. They are a great combo.

Anyways, have fun. Its an easy and cheap mod. Its a lot better than buying those cheap knock-offs on ebay. Instead just keep your eye out for an oem integra shifter. They usually go for cheap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
kommon_sense is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Curious George

Rep Power: 18 Belette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Nice post !

I can't find another one on ebay ! only aluminium bullshit that throw too fast !
Any other teg shifter fit instead of GSR ?
If you have another stock GSR one let me know !

thanx

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Awesome Photography Thread:

Last edited by Belette; 07-27-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Belette is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 16 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna

I took a look on www.acuraautomotiveparts.org and looks like all of the teg shifters are dual bend, so any of them *should* work.

|
|

Old 07-31-2004, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommon_sense
So how does it feel? I'm still getting used to it, but its kinda stiff. However I'm also using Energy Suspension urethane shift stabilizer bushings I'm sure that I'll get used to it. The throw is noticeably shorter but I like it thus far. However it helps that I also have a GSR shift knob installed on the shifter. They are a great combo.
Alright, figured out why it was stiff. There is a rubber boot that goes over the ball on the shifter. I had it upside down Fixed it this morning and put some more grease in the boot. Now it is shifting as smooth as the original/stock shifter. Great mod for < $10.

|
|
Old 08-11-2004, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

pretty good idea....if i can put my hand on one i' may try it out!

evilfred is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
1.8 nawz powa

Rep Power: 38 Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews

nice lil write up. im about to do this myself
Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

my civic has the integra shifter but rather then hack it up it uses the entire assembly under the car as well. the rods are beefier then the civic and adds just that much more of a crisper feel.
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Good writeup!!

I did this with my coupe before I bought my B&M shifter. I just got a GSR short throw on egay and it bolted in like any other shifter though and I couldn't use the plastic bushing that came with it. Fun trying figure that one out.
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 str8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

nice write up
i am also using this shifter after my ebay short shitter fell apart in my hand. the integra shifter is so much better smoother and firm. unlike the last turd i had in there

str8venom99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

just finished cutting the bottom of the integra shifter lol
gonna put it back on soon hope everything goes well
jdmco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

Got a pic of it installed? A Pic with the center console and such.

"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
4D2Envy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

ugh yeah i took some but accidentally deleted them lol ill post some up asap
jdmco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
my civic has the integra shifter but rather then hack it up it uses the entire assembly under the car as well. the rods are beefier then the civic and adds just that much more of a crisper feel.
What year civic/motor do you have and what year shift linkage did you use?

1camLOVE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

any pics? anyone?
jmaze is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

lkailburn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Send a message via AIM to mrjdm

Nice!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Jomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post

-Luke

I hate your interior bcuz its stupid clean.
Some people do turn their car into artwork. Others turn their car into macaroni glued onto construction paper.
Jomama is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Great info guys I'm learning a lot.Thanks a million.
deejay360 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in