Oil changing made easy!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2004, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
This one's for you, Duck.

Rep Power: 27 Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via MSN to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via Yahoo to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother
Default Oil changing made easy!!

Picked up one of these in auto zone a while back. Works like a dream. At first, it seemed kinda flimsy, but the pieces are solid brass and hold up rather well. Didn't even get dirty.

You can probably find these wherever Fram stuff is sold.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...+200383+305262

I used part# SD2, but it may vary for other engines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Add yourself to the D-Series map!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

I had one of these on my car for a while, and while it does make an oil change simple and easy, it takes longer to drain the oil out, and does not seem to drain as much out as if you take the bolt out.

I would highly recommend this item for people who usually dont do their own oil changes but will since its so easy, or people who dont have the time.

Other than that i would just recommend using the oem honda bolt with a new crush washer every time. I also like to use genuine honda filters because of their o-ring design, it is an actual o-ring as opposed to the fram and other generic filters which use a flat rubber circle that has the tendancy to stick. Plus its easier to fully tighten the honda filter just using your hands. You can screw it on almost all the way with ease and then at the end you can feel it suck snugly against the block with a strong twist. However i find with the fram and such filters the flat rubber "o-ring" hits the block sooners and slowly starts to get harder and harder to turn, and is more difficult to fully tighten with your hands
SilentWrath* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
No more Honda's :-(

Rep Power: 18 FMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via MSN to FMYStreetRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWrath*
I had one of these on my car for a while, and while it does make an oil change simple and easy, it takes longer to drain the oil out, and does not seem to drain as much out as if you take the bolt out.

I would highly recommend this item for people who usually dont do their own oil changes but will since its so easy, or people who dont have the time.

Other than that i would just recommend using the oem honda bolt with a new crush washer every time. I also like to use genuine honda filters because of their o-ring design, it is an actual o-ring as opposed to the fram and other generic filters which use a flat rubber circle that has the tendancy to stick. Plus its easier to fully tighten the honda filter just using your hands. You can screw it on almost all the way with ease and then at the end you can feel it suck snugly against the block with a strong twist. However i find with the fram and such filters the flat rubber "o-ring" hits the block sooners and slowly starts to get harder and harder to turn, and is more difficult to fully tighten with your hands
you don't need to crank a filter down. when the gasket hits another half to a full turn and your good. i do mine half turn and no leaks either.

83 RX-7 Wide Body, 4-port 13B street-ported, Cartech turbo system with blow through carbs

03 Kawasaki KLX400R tagged

FMYStreetRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2004, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 the EH is learning the way of the Dthe EH is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

my car had one of these when i bought it and i hated it. took forever to drain. if people like it i guess thats there choice but for me it sucked, its faster just taking out the oil threw the drain bolt and buttoning it back up and there your done.
the EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O

I run the FRAM X2 filter with Castrol Syntec and it seems to work fine for me.

While we're on the topic, I was told by a few people that Mobil 1 synthetic is the best motor oil out there. Any truth to that statement? reason im asking is someone said they did dyno runs with different motor oils and the engine wiht Syntec in it actually lost HP

**EDIT** after some extensive reading and searching Ive decided to scrap the FRAM filter and get the HAMP one. some of the studies and stuff ive been reading about the FRAM filters is downright scaring me. id take the thing off today if i had the cash to do an oil change and get the HAMP filter

Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste

Last edited by Steve-O; 07-25-2004 at 09:59 AM.
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

i work at Valvoline, so oil changes are not a problem for me...........
jobe_149 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
No more Honda's :-(

Rep Power: 18 FMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via MSN to FMYStreetRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O
I run the FRAM X2 filter with Castrol Syntec and it seems to work fine for me.

While we're on the topic, I was told by a few people that Mobil 1 synthetic is the best motor oil out there. Any truth to that statement? reason im asking is someone said they did dyno runs with different motor oils and the engine wiht Syntec in it actually lost HP
i think that the best sythetic oil out there that is over the counter is royal purple. racing beat used it in their pistons motors and they said that it was the oil that gained the most hp. if racing beat says it's good then i'm sold. right now i have mobile one on my car but that's just cause i had a friend that worked and i got it for free. now that he git caught and i will actually be paying for my oil i'm gonna go with royal purple.

83 RX-7 Wide Body, 4-port 13B street-ported, Cartech turbo system with blow through carbs

03 Kawasaki KLX400R tagged

FMYStreetRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!

im looking into different oil right now. ive been reading something about the German Castrol Syntec is Porsche and BMW approved.

i think im going to go with Mobil 1 synthetic since it's available in town here. Royal Purple i'd have to order i think because no local shops carry it.

after reading all the crap about FRAM filters i seriously want to take it off my car right now but i cant get a HAMP or OEM Honda filter til tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Old 07-25-2004, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 the EH is learning the way of the Dthe EH is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

yeah Steve-O i dont use those either. a buddy of mine read somewhere that the valve thats in there sometimes collapses and well basically kills your engine and there where alot of testimonials to his findings. he read it for his jetta but im sure that they apply to honda as well so since then i stick only OEM.
the EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Curious George

Rep Power: 18 Belette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

I'm using Quaker state 10w40, I'm really happy with that, I like parafine based oil...
Quaker state offer 400 000km garantee on engine with new car... Surrely they trust this own product...

I never broke any engine with this oil, engine stay very clean, oil consumption on older engine may be better due to additive and parafine base who 'seal' some minor leak...

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Awesome Photography Thread:

Belette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
mdt017

for me --> Royal Purple 5w30 w/OEM Honda filter
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
This one's for you, Duck.

Rep Power: 27 Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via MSN to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via Yahoo to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother

I use all Honda fluids in my car.

And as for the slow draining, I have found that if you do it after running the car for a bit, the oil flows better.

::
<-- Add yourself to the D-Series map!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2004, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the EH
yeah Steve-O i dont use those either. a buddy of mine read somewhere that the valve thats in there sometimes collapses and well basically kills your engine and there where alot of testimonials to his findings. he read it for his jetta but im sure that they apply to honda as well so since then i stick only OEM.
im heading to the dealership in about half hour to do some comparisons on the filters and pick up an S2000 filter (PN 15400-PCX-004) to see if they are the same. They have them in stock and apprently they are the same as the HAMP ones the Spoon cars use. Im am scared shitless of that damn FRAM on my car and i just need to buy my Mobil 1 synth and im ready to change it out on Sat.

i read the HAMP and the JDM S2000 filter are same made by Toyo Roki and are both best quality but since they stock the PCX-004 filter at the dealership i dont have to wait a week for the JDM BLANG BLANG green one

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 08-26-2004, 07:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
silvermugen

I used royal pruple since the begining of the brake in period. I smoetimes use mobil 1 synthec (new engine formula) but you feel more faster rev's with royal.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

speaking of makeing the oil changes easier... does anyone have an oil filter relocator? if so what brand?

[QUOTE=Steve-O]i think im going to go with Mobil 1 synthetic since it's available in town here. Royal Purple i'd have to order i think because no local shops carry it.
QUOTE]

i currently use Moble 1... after my friends drag team used it in thier 854cuin mountain motor drag car they saved a 10th in the 1/4.... if it is good for a moter that is like 8x bigger than mine...
CIVIC_BAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 08:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

i used to use quaker state with a fram filter. but the oil was always dirty as hell after some hard use.
i switched to schaffers synthetic blend, and of course an oem filter, and the oil looks way cleaner.
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2004, 08:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zulu

I have the Quick Drain thing on my car. I am not sure if I like it or not. It is a little cleaner then using the drain plug, but it takes FOREVER to drain, even with a warm car. I am thinking of switching back to the plug, but I only change my oil every 7500 miles (GASP). I use the S2000 filter and AMSoil 10w-30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in