DIY electronic detonation detection/det cans for under 25 dollars - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 cbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 34 reviews
Default DIY electronic detonation detection/det cans for under 25 dollars

First off I want to say I can't take 100% of the credit. I got the idea from this site
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0353

The only thing bad about that article is that the site is based in Australia.So if you Don't live in Australia it might be hard to source the exact parts they used. Everything I used can be bought locally from radio shack or ebay. Secondly my way is not the end all way to do this.This gives you the basics of what you need to know. Change anything you want while making your own.

First your going to need tools and the parts.

For tools you are going to need the following:

Hot glue gun
electrical tape
soldering iron
solder
scissors
Phillips precision screw driver
heat shrink tubing
wire strippers or whatever you want to use.
marker

For parts you are going to need the following

1 alligator clip
1 "listen up" personal sound amplifier device. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
about 20 ft of red and black wire (10 ft of black 10 ft of red)

step 1:

Take your listen up out of the package

step 2:

Undo the side of the unit where the battery goes.You will see two screws.One on each side.Take your small screwdriver and undo them.

one side

the other side

Step 3:

on the opposite side GENTLY pry up the gray part.You will see two more screws.Undo them

step 4:

Now we can GENTLY pry the case off.You will be left with this.

Go ahead and undo the small screws on each side as well once done GENTLY lift out the circuit board and you will have this

This is the part we are after

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
holy fXck let him go back to honda tech where he can talk about the physics of some carbon fiber kanards or however its spelled
cbuscivictuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 cbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to all

Step 5:

The next few steps can vary. I suck at soldering small components and didn't have the right stuff to de solder the microphone from the board.If you do have the proper equipment and skill to de solder the go right ahead and do it that way.This was easier using what I had.

GENTLY bend the microphone upwards.

It's important to keep the polarity correct, and since the microphone isn't marked positive or negative go ahead and take your marker and make two marks, One on the microphone and one on the circuit board

go ahead and take your scissors and snip the microphone off. Leave a little bit of the leads still attached to the microphone and to the circuit board so you can solder your new wire leads to them.

Step 6:

go ahead and take your soldering iron and solder the wire you have to the circuit board.If you are using red and black wire like me,go ahead and solder the black wire to the side that you marked with a black marker and the red side to the other.

get your hot glue gun and cover the area you soldered.This will act as insulation,and help the wires from ripping out if you tug on the wires too much in the future.You can skip this part if you want

Step 7:

Go ahead and reassemble the unit. Again, I used more hot glue to keep the wires in place.You don't have too.The wires will come out right where the old microphone use to be.

Step 8:

I go ahead and solder your wires to the microphone. Again I used hot glue to keep the tiny wires in place.

Now take your alligator clip and set the microphone as flush against it as you can.Hot glue it in place.Kind of mold the glue while it's still warm with your fingers so it looks decent and covers it.

Slip back on the cover the comes with the clip,or heat shrink it or electrical tape it.Your choice.You can also throw a small zip tie on it if your worried about it melting or coming loose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
holy fXck let him go back to honda tech where he can talk about the physics of some carbon fiber kanards or however its spelled
Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Completed

Yea I know my wires aren't long enough. I'm going to add a plug in the wires when I extend them so I can leave this one in the car for awhile.

afterthoughts:

This was a great idea.IMHO it's way better then the old bulky headset I have with the plastic tubing,easier to carry around,picks up sound better,it has adjustable volume,it's easier to run the wire,it's easier to connect to different points on the motor to find the best spot,I could go on forever on why this is better. I'm also going to be testing out how to do this even CHEAPER. I recently bought one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Spy-Ear-Mini...d=p3286.c0.m14 on ebay for 1.99!+ 2.99 shipping. That's under 5 dollars! Add in the 2.99 alligator clips and you are looking at the same thing for less then 10 dollars.

Some tuning tips:

First off,using this does not replace common sense. Start off with your timing conservative and go from there.You still should read your plugs for signs of detonation.You cannot be too careful.Don't add too much timing blindly when going for an aggressive tune.Add .5 -1 degrees of timing at a time. Here's a sound clip of what actual detonation sounds like,amplified from a electronic listening device .It sounds sort of like a popping noise or like someone is frying bacon.Skip ahead to 00:16 in the video for a before and after .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJZ6kKzLus

Quote:

Last edited by cbuscivictuner; 08-22-2008 at 08:03 AM.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Emperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

very nice

but for ppl that suck really hard at electronics
i suggest this
http://www.fastwrx.com/tuknli.html
found such things sometimes very cheap at ebay

Quote:
what's wrong with child labour?, start them young and keep them off the streets.
Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 38 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

good writeup hope it worksout I have heard different opinions about some electronic knock boxes. But I will say this my tuner uses a electronic one but it was quite a pricey piece.

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

sweet, im going to be doing this in the future to tune my build.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I love it! great idea indeed.

d-dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I think Im gonna do this to use as a chassis ear too! way cheaper than a real one.

d-dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Rep Power: 26 Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....

Super idea! The price really is right too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
very nice

but for ppl that suck really hard at electronics
i suggest this
http://www.fastwrx.com/tuknli.html
found such things sometimes very cheap at ebay

That light hooks to a stock knock sensor... what if your motor doesn't have one (like a d-series)?

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Emperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to allEmperor is a name known to all

reading will ne your friend too
they sell aftermarket knocksensors too

Quote:
what's wrong with child labour?, start them young and keep them off the streets.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
reading will ne your friend too
they sell aftermarket knocksensors too
That's cool... I did read the page you linked and it's just a light... sorry if I jumped the gun.

:EDIT: Well I read a little more... a replacement knock sensor is $100. cbuscivictuner's deal is a little closer to my price range at the moment.

Last edited by Aragorn; 08-22-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

yes thats why i said for ppl like me
well in germany you even cant buy such microphones^^

the advance is simpel
permanent install
you always can see detonation or you like to wear headphones always while drive??

Quote:
Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Quote:
yes thats why i said for ppl like me
well in germany you even cant buy such microphones^^

the advance is simpel
permanent install
you always can see detonation or you like to wear headphones always while drive??
OK I get now and you're right, headphones while driving are not good.... although I have done it before... lol

The little earbuds this uses would be fine for street tuning purposes. cbuscivictuner, please let us know if the Spy Ear Mini Hearing Enhancer you bought off ebay works out too. $10 bucks is in my price range!

Last edited by Aragorn; 08-22-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

good shit man im gonna have to try this!

edit: that light gave me an idea tho im wondering if you wire a led into the headphone output if it would flash or blink when there is det. im gonna try this when i do build me one! or if op want ill wire you an led up in white blue or pink what i have and you can try.

Last edited by crazymx6; 08-22-2008 at 01:16 PM.
crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

the only thing that's wrong with the knock light type deal is that knock sensors are suppose to be specifically calibrated for the motor type they are use.It's said that detonation plays within a certain frequency range but that frequency can change due to bore size,displacement,engine configuration etc etc..So a knock sensor that might work for a 2.4l motor may not be calibrated to pick up all the sounds from a 1.6l motor.

The knock light might just be a simple noise meter.All a knock sensor is, is a microphone.If that's the case then your ears going to pick it up faster then the light would.Im'm not saying it's a bad idea,but there has got to be a reason no honda guys really run them.

links on the knocklite just giving off false readings
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/turboxs-k...rnings-134441/

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/cobb-str...ecu-knock.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/arch...t-1243504.html

The link above suggest you still use det cans to set the sensitivity of the light lol

If you have a good tune with good ect and iat adjustments once your fully tuned you shouldn't be getting detonation afterwards unless there is a problem.

Quote:
Old 08-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
jew
www.rifftrax.com

Rep Power: 16 jew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via MSN to jew

great writeup, i'm going to try this out once i build another motor.

Quote:
Whenever I pack something up, I take all the trash out of my car and use it for padding. Hamburger boxes, beer cans, whatever...A lot of times I'll even grab plastic bottles and put them in there. It's awesome.

jew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

SICK! rep for you. I'd def. going to make this. but shouldn't you be able to hear knock by ear without this?

with that ear spy, you could say hear what people are saying across the street???
Old 08-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
SICK! rep for you. I'd def. going to make this. but shouldn't you be able to hear knock by ear without this?

with that ear spy, you could say hear what people are saying across the street???
Not all knock is going to be very audible to the human ear.I know in my car especially it's hard to hear shit in the driver or passenger seat over the open downpipe,open dump tube,zex 59300 cam valve train noise,turbo spool etc etc.Even with this I still check the plugs incase I miss something.

Yea that's basically how the spy ear thing is suppose to work.The one I have from radio shack works perfect.I can hear whispers in the next room.I haven't got my spy ear yet that I ordered off ebay but it should be here soon.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuscivictuner View Post
Not all knock is going to be very audible to the human ear.I know in my car especially it's hard to hear shit in the driver or passenger seat over the open downpipe,open dump tube,zex 59300 cam valve train noise,turbo spool etc etc.Even with this I still check the plugs incase I miss something.

Yea that's basically how the spy ear thing is suppose to work.The one I have from radio shack works perfect.I can hear whispers in the next room.I haven't got my spy ear yet that I ordered off ebay but it should be here soon.
ok. its funny that you say the spy ear works cause I did a search on you tube and a new channel (probably fake) tested it and said it didn't work at all and threw on ground at the end.

so this diy knock sensor actually work good then? you never really say. are you able to hear detonation you could hear before with the det can style detector?

Last edited by guest; 08-25-2008 at 08:18 AM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
ok. its funny that you say the spy ear works cause I did a search on you tube and a new channel (probably fake) tested it and said it didn't work at all and threw on ground at the end.

so this diy knock sensor actually work good then? you never really say. are you able to hear detonation you could hear before with the det can style detector?
I don't actually have the spy ear yet. I ordered it so I can see if it will work the same for cheaper.That's why I said thats basically how the spy ear is SUPPOSE to work lol.I have that radio shack listen up listening device. in the first post.That works fine.They also have reviews of it the listen up on the radio shack site.

I will say this about the spy ear,If it didnt work for them across a room even that's fine.The mic is going to be litterally attached to what it needs to pick up the sound from lol.If it doesn't work im out less then 5 bucks and will probably give it to my friends son.

Quote:

Last edited by cbuscivictuner; 08-25-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
det can, detonation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/95756-diy-electronic-detonation-detection-det-cans-under-25-dollars.html
Posted By For Type Date
tuning with det-can tips - GeekMapped Forums This thread Refback 02-04-2013 11:33 AM