Innovative Cheap Catch Can - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 SupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaStyl Send a message via MSN to SupaStyl
Lightbulb Innovative Cheap Catch Can

Taken from a member on vwvortex. Nicely executed, figured i'd share with my D-series family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytle
A picture tells a thousand words.

Start with a $5.00 stainless steel liguid soap dispenser from Walmart.

Throw away the top.

Get a small breather filter ($9.00 at Autozone).
Some brass barb fittings, hose clamps, rubber grommets, and a short length of hose.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the reservoir:

Insert grommet into hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SupaStyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 SupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropesSupaStyl is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by slytle
insert grommet into the hole on the filter.

Insert barb coupler into grommet:

Attach filter to reservoir.

Next insert barb fitting into the short length of hose

Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slytle
Attach fitting with hose to the end of the reservoir

Add hose clamps. Voila. You now have a beautiful stainless steel oil breather/catch can.

When i make mine, i will use some steel wool inside for the oil vapors to collect on. he put the can input at the bottom so that the caught oil will drain back down the hose to the motor.

Last edited by SupaStyl; 07-11-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Let's Go Oakland!

Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....Psychoblue23 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Psychoblue23

Only thing missing is how to mount it so it wont move around... looks clean to me, but I am no expert. nice post.

- Current Daily

- Family Car
Psychoblue23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

potential for leaks and lack of mounting ability but besides that fully polished SS catch can hell yah!. very creative

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

really good write up on that. got any pictures of it on your car? where its mounted at. how much hose you ran to it? but all in all its a good DIY
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

i didnt do it... yet. the guy who did hadnt installed it yet so no bay shots. as far as mounting. a tightening band round the can with a integrated mount can solve the bay mounting issue.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i wanted to make one out of a chevy suburban ac catcher thingie
SQ is the SQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shoot me!

Rep Power: 44 Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

Very creative just needs mounting spots.

GO STEELERS!
Hellhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 nitrous fed monster is a name known to allnitrous fed monster is a name known to allnitrous fed monster is a name known to allnitrous fed monster is a name known to allnitrous fed monster is a name known to allnitrous fed monster is a name known to allnitrous fed monster is a name known to allnitrous fed monster is a name known to allnitrous fed monster is a name known to all

nice and creative
nitrous fed monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
jsi
D-series lover

Walmart toiletery parts ftmfw... But... I see a major flaw in the design.

The inlet located at the bottom makes it useless as an oil "catch" can. The dirty oil will just collect in the hose until the hose is full and then start collecting in the can. Of course under negative pressure (vacuum) at idle/cruise, the oil will just get sucked back into the engine. Not to mention a line full of oil aint that great for the "breather" function.

The easy way to make this into a working catch can is to drill the hole on the side close to the top and run the feed line in there.
jsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!

Rep Power: 22 JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMek

lol badass

JDMek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

nice idea, but I can see blow-by getting past the fittings....
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 Breakfast is learning the way of the DBreakfast is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to Breakfast Send a message via MSN to Breakfast Send a message via Yahoo to Breakfast

at first i laughed but hey, this is actually kinda cool...and innovative!
Breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 guscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

that is tight looking...but i really dunno if ittl work...isnt supposed to have two hoses going to it???
I buy from Americans cause I want the us economy to be #1 f china and f euros
guscivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ is the SQUAD View Post
i wanted to make one out of a chevy suburban ac catcher thingie
its called a dryer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhatch View Post
Very creative just needs mounting spots.
like i said before, i think a pole mount for an antenna or something could work nicely, the band round the can and the mount attached to the firewall or where ever you wanna mount it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsi View Post
Walmart toiletery parts ftmfw... But... I see a major flaw in the design.

The inlet located at the bottom makes it useless as an oil "catch" can. The dirty oil will just collect in the hose until the hose is full and then start collecting in the can. Of course under negative pressure (vacuum) at idle/cruise, the oil will just get sucked back into the engine. Not to mention a line full of oil aint that great for the "breather" function.

The easy way to make this into a working catch can is to drill the hole on the side close to the top and run the feed line in there.
if the can is mounted to where the breather line is on a constant downhill slope, no oil will be trapped. why is the oil dirty? its just vaporized(technically fine droplets), its not like it grabs dirt through the hose and cant be reused, it just drains back to the oil pan after enough droplets collect together on the wool in the can to roll down the pipe. this way just makes it to where you dont have to drain the can yourself after it fills up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guscivic View Post
that is tight looking...but i really dunno if ittl work...isnt supposed to have two hoses going to it???
depends on how you set it up, a catch can can have one line or ten. it all works the same way, venting crankcase pressure without blowing oil everywhere in ur engine bay.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 44 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaStyl View Post
if the can is mounted to where the breather line is on a constant downhill slope, no oil will be trapped.
but that really will not happen will it. you would have to mount the can higher then the point from which its evac-ing. i.e. for us, out side of the engine bay. think about it. there is aonly about 3 inches above the vc before you hit hood. that container is not 3 inches tall.

Quote:
why is the oil dirty? its just vaporized(technically fine droplets), its not like it grabs dirt through the hose and cant be reused, it just drains back to the oil pan after enough droplets collect together on the wool in the can to roll down the pipe. this way just makes it to where you dont have to drain the can yourself after it fills up.
its dirty because its excessively burn oil. the vaporizing effect, burns the oil into a condition that should not be reused. also, it will be picking up an contamination the mini filter doesn't stop from entering that can. and you should drain your catch can of the left overs, it gives you an idea of how your engine is performing before a failure can occur. i.e. telling sign of excessive blow by is a full can after 1 day, when it normally takes 4. adding also the fact that you can use it as a sample of the oil currenty contained in your engine. drain the oil into a clear jar and look for metal flaking, etc.
Quote:
depends on how you set it up, a catch can can have one line or ten. it all works the same way, venting crankcase pressure without blowing oil everywhere in ur engine bay.
true, but a catch can should do more then just not allow the oil to get every where in the e-bay. it should also "catch" the oil and not let it return to the engine, as its used and burnt. again, what is cought in the catch can can be drained into another container, measured and freash oil can replace it in the crankcase.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 meccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regularmeccael is obviously a regular
Send a message via AIM to meccael Send a message via MSN to meccael

I like this. I'd just drill and tap another hole on the side of the can, screw in a barbed fitting, and fit a screw cap on the "bottom", to drain the oil. $5 ftmfw!

meccael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
catch can, diy, pcv, venting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in