DIY Del Sol seats in an ef - without seat pan swap!!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules
Default DIY Del Sol seats in an ef - without seat pan swap!!!

alright guys, took a look at other diy's and what not on how to do this, looked like a huge pain in the ass, so i did it my own way.

tools required:
drill
3/8" drill bit
angle grinder is handy
welder
12mm socket
3" extension
3/8" ratchet
12mm wrench

and here's how:
--- I did the diy on the passenger side, but the driver side is the same idea, just diff side, obviously.. do this at your own risk, do not weld in the car. ---

first step:
out with the old..

....in with the new. do a quick test fit, making sure the seat is all the way back and the rails are all the way forward, and you will see that the front bolt nearest the center console fits right in.

you will also notice the rear inside is no where near close..

from here, get the seat to sit straight, then sorta eye ball where the hole would need to be in order for it to line up. after doing so, move on to the next step..

step 2:
i took the seat out of the car and layed it on its side, took my angle grinder and took off the paint in order to get some good welds:
rear outside slider:

(the bottom grind)
and the front outside, sorry for dark pic.. you will also see that i cut a notch out, theres a reason for this and if your seats sit straight ( like mine ) you will need to notch this too..

peekaboo crv wheel!!!! lol

step 3:
i then cut some 3/16x1" flat plate, but anything should work really, into pieces about this size:

theres a reason for the size difference, the larger one goes on the front to make sure theres enough material, and the smaller one is for the rear cause its not really that far off.

Last edited by SOHC_Rules; 05-08-2008 at 08:14 AM.
SOHC_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

step4:
weld on your tabs
rear (after i painted it black, sorry)

you will notice that it is offset. if you have your seats lined up like mine, then your will be too.

front:

what i did was overlap the metal tab a little bit, and filled the hole with weld, and also hit it from the back for some extra strength.

step5:
put seat back into the car, put the front inside bolt in, and then get the seat to sit straight again. once they are straight get your drill and proceed to drill a 3/8" hole lined up with the bolt hole (duh..).. should look like this:

you will now see why the notch is necessary... lol... tighten those bolts down a little (not so much where they wont turn anymore) and do the same for the rear..
should be like this

and bam you're done that side, just rinse and repeat for the driver side
Old 05-08-2008, 06:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

here's how they look in my car:

plenty of head clearance..

and there it is

let me know what you all think..

Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!

Rep Power: 32 Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Onatop Send a message via Yahoo to Onatop

love the jerry rig. cool write up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Often replicated but never DUPLICATED & NEVER done like D&M Tuning
Onatop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 38 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

good write up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

please tell me where the jb weld might come in to replace the real welding? was you implying to jb weld the flat steel? if so you better edit your post before some noob does it and the jb weld snaps the first speed bump or worse yet they get in a wreck and the seats snap loose. i think the main reason every one uses the crx pans is not just so the holes line up but also so the seats sit lower in the car. the sol pans might not be the same height. not sure though i never looked at a sol pan. should have shampooed or replaced your carpet while you had the seats out
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 40 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

beautiful write-up!

yea, i wouldn't think about using jb weld on something like that.
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
please tell me where the jb weld might come in to replace the real welding? was you implying to jb weld the flat steel? if so you better edit your post before some noob does it and the jb weld snaps the first speed bump or worse yet they get in a wreck and the seats snap loose. i think the main reason every one uses the crx pans is not just so the holes line up but also so the seats sit lower in the car. the sol pans might not be the same height. not sure though i never looked at a sol pan. should have shampooed or replaced your carpet while you had the seats out
i agree, it is less than ideal to use JB weld instead of a real weld, but when used properly and given enough time to cure, it can hold just as strong. nonetheless i will edit the post.

the sol seat do sit a little higher, enough to notice while sitting in the seat but really not that bad.. probably sit 3/4" higher maximum.

and about my carpet, lol, theres no hope for it honestly. it used to be BLACK and is sun damaged to the point you see it now. kinda sucks, but i've lived with it for this long. eventually im going to either get a used replacement, or if i can bring myself to spend the cash, id get a brand new replacement.

thanks for the comments guys
Old 05-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

nice nice nice ! anybody know how to fit DEL SOLs into an EG? I'm havin trouble gettin the rail close to Ebrake to come off =(. gr8 DYI btw!
SnailTrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

panda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to panda

atleast it wasnt gorilla glue lol.. but good wright up..

panda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Wait did you weld these or use JB weld? Dude please tell me you're not riding around in your rex with JB-welded del sol seats.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
peace out

Rep Power: 16 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

hmm. that seems a little sketchy. even if it is welded, that shit could possibly snap in a collision if those welds are flawed and they do look a little boogery.

never seen green carpet in a crx either.

I like the seats tho.
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series WTF?!?!

Rep Power: 20 MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MiloReaper87 Send a message via Yahoo to MiloReaper87

Green stain carpet??? WTF
Check my photography

CAUTION: Remoer and myself may
on a verbal war
MiloReaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusdown View Post
hmm. that seems a little sketchy. even if it is welded, that shit could possibly snap in a collision if those welds are flawed and they do look a little boogery.

never seen green carpet in a crx either.

I like the seats tho.
I agree. A seat pan swap may be harder but it is safer. But at least it's mounted at all points and not the 3 out of 4 some people roll around on. I still hope that isn't JB weld though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloReaper87 View Post
Green stain carpet??? WTF
It's the new JDM....didn't you know?
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Shoot me!

Rep Power: 44 Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

Very nice job i just put these in my 00 hatch.

GO STEELERS!
Hellhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 mike93eh smells like Boratmike93eh smells like Boratmike93eh smells like Boratmike93eh smells like Boratmike93eh smells like Borat
Send a message via AIM to mike93eh

got del sol's in my crx...but mine were done a little bit better..

Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

pics dont work...
Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 zccrxsi will become famous soon enoughzccrxsi will become famous soon enoughzccrxsi will become famous soon enough

i didn it a while ago in my crx it was a nice upgrade then i got rid of them for some pleather eg seats
zccrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED6b7Y8 View Post
pics dont work...
because its over a year old, genius

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

why not swap the rails? sooooo much easier. I did that in my eg8
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in