DIY Paint your own valve cover - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 AM  
Premium Member

Rep Power: 31 93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....
93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 82 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 93 red ls
Default DIY Paint your own valve cover

I have seen a SHIT ton of posts lately (on this board and others) about people asking how to paint their valve cover. Since my fiance and I have painted 15+ in the past few years i figured i would attempt to do my first DIY thread so here it goes

ITEMS YOU NEED:
-- sand blaster (you can use regular sheets of sand paper BUT it will take you FOREVER and you wont get in between all the cracks and crevises)

--1 can of primer, 1 can of paint (what ever color you choose doesnt HAVE to be high temp any brand/color/texture will work) 1 can of clear. NOTE you dont HAVE to use clear yes it does make it easire to clean off grease, dirt and what not. PLUS it makes it shine!

--1 piece of cardboard and 1 house hold oven.

thats all the items you need

1) prep the valve cover. Make sure to tape off the holes to ensure no sand from the sandblaster gets in the gaskets to the spark plugs. When you think you have sand blated it well, do it again just to make sure it is clean. It should look white if it is good and done.

use a air hose and spray the inside and outside out of the VC. If you have one available to, you can use a parts cleaner and clean it off.

2) after it has dried and you have wiped it off, use the primer and lay on a nice thin even coat. allow it to dry for a good half hour then apply up to 2 or 3 more depending on how well of a job you did on the sandblasting. Allow it to dry for 1-2 hours after all the coats have been applied.

3) Once it has dried apply a thin layer of a color of your choice on the valve cover. leave the spray head 5-7 inched from the VC to ensure a nice smooth, even coat of paint. After allowing it to dry, apply another coat doing the same process. Leave the coat of paint dry for 2-4 hours.

4) after it has dried apply a thin layer of clear coat. allow it to dry. once it has dried pre heat the oven to 325 degrees. place the VC on the top highest rack in the oven. Keep it in there for 10-15 minutes. This lets you know a good seal was made with the clear.
turn off oven and let it coo for awhile take it out and admire

just some side notes the better quality paint you buy, the better the work will show in the finished product.

I hope this walks everyone through the process of painting your own VC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
93 red ls is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 11:39 AM  
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Nice
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM  
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 89lxcivic
Question qustion

goddamn man thatz awsome..now 1 qustion wat about the gasket..like should i get a new 1 after i take off and on..and is it hard to take it off..?..::

Last edited by 89lxcivic; 01-13-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling
89lxcivic is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:50 AM  
Premium Member

93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxcivic View Post
goddamn man thatz awsome..now 1 qustion wat about the gasket..like should i get a new 1 after i take off and on..and is it hard to take it off..?..::
if you are speaking about the VC gasket ive re used them just use a TINY bit of honda bond or RTV on it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:00 PM  
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 GreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagleGreyGoose is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

what did you use to keep the vtec and H unpainted? i heared people using vaseline on the painting over it, then just wipe it off.

GreyGoose is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 12:01 PM  
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all89lxcivic is a name known to all
Send a message via Yahoo to 89lxcivic

well mine was't changed..so if i do it im gona half to buy a new one any wayz..my car is not very healthy..but the motor runs good though..
89lxcivic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 12:16 PM  
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose View Post
what did you use to keep the vtec and H unpainted? i heared people using vaseline on the painting over it, then just wipe it off.
we paint the whole VC one solid color, then use a paint marker (not water base) to go over the paint. As long as you use a LITTle heavier Clear on the letters you can get away with doing it...

Old 01-13-2008, 12:55 PM  
D-series PIMP

freon480 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to freon480

nice write up!
freon480 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 02:29 PM  
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 funkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

thats awesome! the orange looks really nice , i think i may try this when i have the time!
how long should the paint last?? meaning before it starts to chip....if it does chip...

funkified is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM  
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkified View Post
thats awesome! the orange looks really nice , i think i may try this when i have the time!
how long should the paint last?? meaning before it starts to chip....if it does chip...
well my pink valve cover i had on my first hmt setup a few years ago and it was on there for roughly 11 or 12k ....other than being dirty it was fine....

its ALL in the prep work the better you blast it the better the primer, paint and clear will hold

Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 PM  
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 lostinmyownworld will become famous soon enoughlostinmyownworld will become famous soon enoughlostinmyownworld will become famous soon enough

excellent write up... rep

Quote:
scammers should be tortured, sent through a meat grinder and packaged for their parents to eat.
Quote:
I just heard screams of YES in the garage and went running...they got the tranny mated up with the block! Levi, we need that woo hooo pic again! it fought, but in the words of duck, "fuck you, i win!"
:bravo:
lostinmyownworld is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 07:01 PM  
D-series post SLUT

shocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shocker911

is the d-series.org in the paint on the VC or am i seeing shit. and if it is on the VC how the hell did you do that b/c that is SWEEEEEEEEEEEET

add to the list
shocker911 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM  
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker911 View Post
is the d-series.org in the paint on the VC or am i seeing shit. and if it is on the VC how the hell did you do that b/c that is SWEEEEEEEEEEEET
ha.. this is 93redls' girl... (i did the painting lol)... actually the d-series.org was a mistake.. we were going to put it on after painting but he put it on before the paint was completely dry then tried to pull it back up which didnt work so i had to put another coat of orange on it.. lol turned out and looks awesome... anyone needs a vc painted i can do it for a small cost!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 PM  
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

looks good, i like the matching exterior with vc but yours looks really clean.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM  
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post
ha.. this is 93redls' girl... (i did the painting lol)... actually the d-series.org was a mistake.. we were going to put it on after painting but he put it on before the paint was completely dry then tried to pull it back up which didnt work so i had to put another coat of orange on it.. lol turned out and looks awesome... anyone needs a vc painted i can do it for a small cost!
this is true we can paint VC's for people too!!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 PM  
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

nice color + write up ...
KhanhSol is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 03:12 PM  

Excellent touch w/the "d-series.org" decal look into the paint there.
I'd done mine awhile back and not done the clear coat, may just go
ahead and put that on too for protection of color coat.

equuCRXes is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM  
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie

damn thats sick. But uh, you better watch out if D-series owner is anything like Ford. He gonna get you for a lawsuit. lol
sick1camcivic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 03:20 PM  
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread

Rep Power: 45 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Send a message via AIM to E. Jeezy Send a message via Yahoo to E. Jeezy

nice write up that what i did with my old one.

"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

"I'm so awesome that I quote myself in my own signature."
~E. Jeezy
E. Jeezy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 03:25 PM  
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick1camcivic View Post
damn thats sick. But uh, you better watch out if D-series owner is anything like Ford. He gonna get you for a lawsuit. lol
ive given sean a nice little chunk of change my 2 years on the site or so!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/82600-diy-paint-your-own-valve-cover.html
Posted By For Type Date
[DIY/FAQ] What are some modifications I can put into my 96-00 Civic? - ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum This thread Refback 01-30-2013 02:14 PM
[DIY/FAQ] What are some modifications I can put into my 96-00 Civic? - ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum This thread Refback 01-27-2013 04:50 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-20-2013 09:43 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-20-2013 03:34 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-19-2013 11:27 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-19-2013 05:10 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-17-2013 05:29 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-16-2013 02:26 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 11:49 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 10:56 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 02:29 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 01:54 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 11:42 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 09:54 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 09:46 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 09:40 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 09:37 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 09:19 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 09:00 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 07:56 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 06:54 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 05:43 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 05:14 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 04:31 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 04:23 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 04:18 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 04:16 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 04:04 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 04:02 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 04:00 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 01-15-2013 03:56 AM
CRX Community Forum • View topic - HOW TO: Strip + Paint your valve cover This thread Refback 10-22-2010 07:42 PM
CRX Community Forum • View topic - Post Your Custom Valve Covers!!!! This thread Refback 10-13-2010 04:04 AM
Crinkle Painted Valve Covers ? - Toyota MR2 Message Board This thread Refback 09-07-2010 05:57 PM
CIVIC4G.COM - Honda Civic 4th Generation (1988-1991) Forum ? View topic - Engine swap guide and index thread This thread Refback 08-21-2010 11:37 AM
painting an amp...questions - FloridaSPL This thread Refback 08-08-2010 01:00 PM
bake valve cover paint? - Ford Maverick / Mercury Comet Forums This thread Refback 07-01-2010 12:35 AM
Turbo D16 • View topic - Valve Cover....prepped, but I need ideas for paint This thread Refback 06-10-2010 12:56 AM
CRX Community Forum • View topic - What did you do to your crx today? This thread Refback 06-01-2010 09:35 AM
value cover paint - ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum This thread Refback 05-22-2010 07:08 PM
CIVIC4G.COM - Honda Civic 4th Generation (1988-1991) Forum ? View topic - Engine swap guide and index thread This thread Refback 04-21-2010 01:18 PM
DIY custom paint your own valve cover - HondaCivicForum.com This thread Refback 03-06-2010 08:29 AM
DIY Section Overhaul Project - HondaCivicForum.com This thread Refback 02-13-2010 05:18 PM
CIVIC4G.COM - Honda Civic 4th Generation (1988-1991) Forum ? View topic - Engine swap guide, F.A.Q.'s and info index This thread Refback 01-24-2010 11:26 PM
New Valve Cover? - HondaCivicForum.com This thread Refback 10-04-2009 05:11 PM
Painting my valve cover.? - ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum This thread Refback 09-23-2009 08:28 AM