Type R style dash for $20 AUD!!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2004, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Photonic_Si  is slowly gaining respectPhotonic_Si  is slowly gaining respectPhotonic_Si  is slowly gaining respectPhotonic_Si  is slowly gaining respectPhotonic_Si  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Photonic_Si
Default Type R style dash for $20 AUD!!!

Ok so i guess you all think shit, where do i buy it cos i want it!! well sit the fuck down and get ya DIY hat on cos this, you cant just go and buy, you slack bastards!!!
Ok now as you Type R hiro heads like me, will have noticed, the type r series get all the good stuff. Even their dash is 100% JDM goodness better than any CXi, Gli, EX DX HX or whatever. So im sorry i dont have free webspace and dont want to pay for it so no pictures.

Start by selecting the style of Type R dash you wish to emulate. The EK/DC4 series or the newer EP/DC5. The difference being, the EK/DC4 has a black dash binnacle, yellow needles and orange illuminaion. and the EP/DC5 has silver binnacle, needles and silver faces with red illumination. You cant paint your gague faces obviously, so if you can get some customed or off the shelf, go for them.

Things you will need

Now lets get started

-Remove your cluster and seperate the face binnacle from the cluster. This just unclips. The press clips can be a bitch so take your time, so you dont break anything.
-The clear plastic faceshield needs to come off too. Because you are going to need to paint this silver (if you are going for the DC5 type. if not just leave it glued.)
now that the faceshield is removed from the binnacle;
-Remove all the warning light transparancys and set them aside.
-Spray the surface with your silver paint. Dont go heavy ass on the coats at first. Vinyl paint is best so if you can get some in silver, go for it.
Dont do this step ^^ if you are doing the EK style gauge.
There are three Clear plastic illumination rings on the inside of the binnacle face. either paint thease as well or remove them completely, to give the faces an BACKLIT only look, in true JDM style.

The speedo and tach needles are the only ones that come off the gagues, the Fuel and Temp ones dont, so dont bother, ive been thru 3 sets if T/F gauges SO BE CAREFUL
-Take thease off and mask off the black bases if you are doing a EK style gauge, if you arent then dont mask anything, cos its all going to be sprayed silver.
-Remove the Entire FUEL and TEMP gauge from the assembly and mask off the face, be careful to mask the entire surface with no gaps in the masking. Mask of the black bases of the needles again (for EK type) or leave them unmasked for silver DC5
-Spray the either masked, or un masked needles Yellow or silver respectivly.

-Wait for it all to dry, at least an hour or so.
-Replace the needles into their correct positions. remove the masking.
-Re-Install the faceshield and the transparancys
-Re-Clip the unpainted or painted binnacle and faceshield assembly to the main cluster.

Now we need to rectify the problem of your Illumination being Boring WHITE. For the best results, get ya hands on a set of LED wedge bulbs. RED ones. if you cant, get some RED condom style boots for your bulbs. Fit thease in your standard ones place.

Re install the entire gauge cluster to the dash, plug in the looms and turn the ilum on. During the day you wont see the colour of the dash lights but in the dark, this look will be so JDM you will either have a "iwannagorace" attack or cream your pants.
EK/DC4 Yellow

DC5 Silver

Remember be careful when ever you mix JDM enthusiasm with a paint can, it can either lead to JDM heaven or BURNED RICE. so dont go thinking "maybe if i just change the yellow paint to Purple, or the silver to Bright blue..."
NO! DONT DO THAT!! Ill hunt you down and run you over....multiple times. If you do want to change the colours, the only suggestion that i have is:
Silver to White, also looks great
Yellow needles to Green - gives it the SPOON sports look (like their 10.000Rpm cluster)

-Last step i almost forgot, take it round to your mates place and gloat. He might even appreciate your work and do his!!! Hope this inspires ya all to do sumthin different.

Jake-

mugen無限power

Last edited by Photonic_Si; 05-31-2004 at 05:55 AM.
Photonic_Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2004, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
dx-r

Default yellow paint

hey i have a 2000 si cluster in my civic and plan to just paint the needles yellow. I wanted to know the paint and the exact color to use thanks, oh yah, is the illumination of the si cluster the same as the type r with the exception of the needles. thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2004, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

just go to an auto parts store and get some duplicolor touch up paint. find the yellow that you like the best.

that's what I did when I painted my needles.

Last edited by gftgrill; 06-03-2004 at 05:26 AM.
gftgrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Photonic_Si  is slowly gaining respectPhotonic_Si  is slowly gaining respectPhotonic_Si  is slowly gaining respectPhotonic_Si  is slowly gaining respectPhotonic_Si  is slowly gaining respect
Send a message via MSN to Photonic_Si

Ya that there is fucking sick! ^^^ perfect example. Loving that dude!

For paint, just get duplicolour yellow of some sort. Sunlight yellow (honda colour) is prolly your best bet as to the authentic colour.

mugen無限power
Photonic_Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2004, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i have a dx with my bad ass type r gas gadge there where the tach shouls be. im looking for a cluster swap any good places to get it?
haggard now but going for a clean jdm look....
2SLO2RCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

on a side note to anyone who does this, for some reason my tach needle sticks to that little peg on really hot days. I dont' know if I didn't give it enough time to dry or something, but just tapping the area in front of the cluster unsticks it.
gftgrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2004, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SLO2RCE
i have a dx with my bad ass type r gas gadge there where the tach shouls be. im looking for a cluster swap any good places to get it?
ebay or the junk yard. Look close and make sure it's auto or manual... whatever you want. The whole speedometer will swap out for your original one, since you'll want to keep your odometer. Plus, you will know that you didn't try to pull the needle off... who knows what the other guy did to his.

When I got mine, I noticed the tach was off a little, and I think it was because the guy had pulled the needle off to install/remove overlays. It never went back on in the exact same position. I still like having a tach though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2004, 03:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
LosAngeles96civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photonic_Si
So im sorry i dont have free webspace and dont want to pay for it so no pictures.
try to get 1 pic up
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2004, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 robtec is learning the way of the Drobtec is learning the way of the D

what about this one,it's froma 2000 nsx,i'm going to paint the nedles on my cluster that exact same color

robtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Off topic but would the gauge cluster from a '93 Del Sol pop right into an EK? Or would the wiring be different because its from 5th to 6th gen?
any advice is appreciated
thanks
wafflesincars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 04:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....

it's different...........I was looking into a 6th to 5th gen swap and nothing lines up...guess with time and patience, you can get it to work, nothing is impossible.
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 04:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

not bad! i would try using that Testor's model paint on the needles, might illuminate a little better.
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

will this work for a 94 civic???
DeeSeriesTurbo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

nice result
97civic123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2006, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 94EXa2

all i did in my 94 ex is paint the needles yellow and the diy amber lit cluster/cc/clock and change the bulb in the ashtray too,,,,looks SICK imo
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in