ek front end (96-98) on a eg civic (92-95) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2004, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
calboi510

Default ek front end (96-98) on a eg civic (92-95)

finally did my ek front end conversion on my eg civic coupe...

overall is really clean and nice, a lot of envyous people, the motor of an eg but with an ek look!

took a little over 5 hours of labor...wasn't too bad to do, aint as hard as i though...

too tired right now to explain how to do it, want to post pics...but my digi cam is acting up...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i assume it wasnt just plug and play tho.... just compare the headlights!!!
7thGear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2004, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
calboi510

i HEARD plug and play is possible...i eyeballed it once...seems like some customizing and it'll be possible, not sure

but what i did was i changed the core support, then after that it was pretty much plug and play.

the 96 hood gotta be hammered down a little, but with me, i cut it since my hood was fiberglass...if you try it, you'll know what i mean, aint a biggie

i used the stock 92-95 civic fender and just cut it the same shape as the 96 headlights

you dont HAVE to weld...like the core support i weld just to reinforce, but there are a few bolts that could hold it up...i wouldn't recommend it, but do-a-ble without welding

but yea, one can do the conversion without welding...cutting and drilling is involved though..but it can be done at home for DIYers

Old 06-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
calboi510

alright, i have a little time right now so i'll explain how to do the conversion to any who are interested.

Parts you need:
96 hood
96 headlights
96 bumper
96 core support (70 bucks brand new)

first off, take the whole front end off the eg civic (hood, fenders, headlights, bumper, corner lights)
keep all the bolts and nuts

then drill out the spot welds for the core support, they are the little dents
once almost all of them are removed, take off the a/c and radiator, you dont have to disconnect them or drain them, what i did was had a few buddies hold them up for me, not heavy at all

once the core support is off (all spot welds drilled out, and some tapping with a malet/hammer) start spot welding the new core support
the new core support should line up pretty nicely, there are a few bolts (i think 2 or 4) that will hold up the core support, after these bolts are in place, the core support should be able to hold up, and it's a way to reasure that the core support is lined up properly

here's where there's a decision, spot weld the core support or not, i spot welded them, had a shop do it for me, because i dont have a welder, would highly recommend spot welding the core support

after that the bumper and headlights go bolt right on

the hood is a bolt on, except it wont close...because the end of the hood (next to the windshield) is hitting the firewall...this can be easily fixed with a hammer/mallet, just hammeredf that shit in or you can cut, which i did because i have a fiberglass hood, i'm talking about the underside of the hood

after that is done, the hood should fit

the fenders, what i heard was that you need to cut and weld the eg and the ek fenders...but i just cut the eg fenders to fit, cut it to the shape of the 96 headlights

i measured where to cut by closing the hood and marking where the cut should start on the fender (this is without the headlights on)

then i traced the shape of the 96 fenders and drew it on my eg fender starting at where the cut should be, then i cut the fender along the marks/drawing

after that just put everything back pretty much

dont forget to take the hood latch off the old core support

if this conversion made you broke, start selling your old parts

i think i covered everything...any questions just ask
Old 06-02-2004, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
calboi510

Default pics!!!

got my digi cam/camcoder back and now i can post pics!

heres the conversion, i have a fiberglass hood so i made custom DIY hoodpins because i've heard stories of fiberglass and carbon fiber hoods flying off in the freeway!

and i know, i need to drop my car and get a red bumper...

Last edited by calboi510; 06-02-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
eg5

Rep Power: 0 eg5 is learning the way of the Deg5 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Omg this is sad
eg5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2004, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
dxmannn

didnt i post this convertion along time ago?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

well I think it looks good. good job. just get it painted. you should have gone with the 99-00 si front and it would have come out 10 times better. but props for the work.
gftgrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/7751-ek-front-end-96-98-eg-civic-92-95-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Civic EG :: View topic - EK- EG front end conversion? This thread Refback 01-16-2013 03:29 AM