shaving the factory antenna???? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2004, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
hondaz4me

hey has anybody shaved or gotten rid of their factory antenna on a 92-95 civic?? if so how did u do it and was it complicated?? i would really appreciate any help or advice. thanks guys
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
BostonCX614

i made a semi-ghetto delete plate. I removed the antenna and wire. The plate is held on with torx drive screws. Then I clipped a metal plate on the underside of the plate to release the antenna. To plug the hole i just used a plastic valve cover(fits in perfect) and just superglued it in place. Looks pretty stealth when i was done. Only dropped a couple ounces but for 10 min of work was worth it on my part.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
i am the walrus.

Rep Power: 22 seano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcano
seano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to seano Send a message via AIM to seano

I shaved my antenna off my old crx, and am doing it to my 95 hatch right now. I use fiberglass bondo to fill the hole, sand it down even, add another small layer of the fiberglass bondo, sand it down even again, and repeat this until it's a flawless surface matching with the rest of the body. It took me maybe 4 layers/coats on my crx, and the thing was PERFECT. Also, use the small red filler stuff during the final layer.. I don't remember what it's called currently, but I need to go buy some.

I <3 D-series.org members!

seano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
I used to be Admin.....

Rep Power: 17 Deck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Deck

Isnt the red stuff hardener?
Deck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

i think he's talking about a putty... something called a glazing putty or finishing putty. It comes in a small tube and you just spread it over the bondo. It will fill in the tiniest holes and just dry up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2004, 03:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

glazing putty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2004, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
i am the walrus.

Rep Power: 22 seano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcano
seano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcano
Send a message via ICQ to seano Send a message via AIM to seano

yes, that.

I <3 D-series.org members!

seano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2004, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 BseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to all

inlinefour sells a cap that goes over where the antenna was dunno if you want that or what not.
BseriesKllR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2004, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

You can get the antenna cap from a CX at the junkyard or new for $2, pull the antenna out all the way from the radio. I hate the radio.

shaundrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
4drEF

The proper way to permanently shave things is to make a metal filler plate and weld it in from the inside of the hole. If you use Bondo alone you are asking for trouble.

You are supposed to cut out a metal plate that is of similar size to the hole. For the antenna hole, you will need to tac a rod to the center of the outside of the filler plate. Put the plate through the antenna hole. Then pull the rod so you can get the plate to go flush to the inside of the hole. Weld it in place. Now add Bondo to smooth out the surfaces.

Why not just fill the hole with filler? If you just use filler you will be able to press on the filler with your finger and push it right through the hole.... leaving you with a chunck of Bondo inside th A-pillar and a hole where the antenna was.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

eheheh, WELL... you see the rule is "dont touch it"
7thGear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 cryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to cryz2 Send a message via Skype™ to cryz2

i used hevey duty expandable fome , gave it a real good filling , so it ozed out all over the place then cut it flush with the hole , sanded it right down and the used two pack filler as a top coat and primed it . and it looks very good and will not sink or crack out , not as good as a back plate but i do not have a gas or mig , set up , so i have to do my best ,

TWIN CARBS BABY + Bisimoto Cam
Dyslexia sucks
cryz2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2004, 07:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Thumbs up

i wanted to shave my antenna too. im just gonna buy a cap from inlinefour.com for 10US. i cant say im a putty sorta guy. too lazy to start fukn wih bodywork i think.
Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
specialED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drEF
The proper way to permanently shave things is to make a metal filler plate and weld it in from the inside of the hole. If you use Bondo alone you are asking for trouble.

You are supposed to cut out a metal plate that is of similar size to the hole. For the antenna hole, you will need to tac a rod to the center of the outside of the filler plate. Put the plate through the antenna hole. Then pull the rod so you can get the plate to go flush to the inside of the hole. Weld it in place. Now add Bondo to smooth out the surfaces.

Why not just fill the hole with filler? If you just use filler you will be able to press on the filler with your finger and push it right through the hole.... leaving you with a chunck of Bondo inside th A-pillar and a hole where the antenna was.
Unfortunately, he's right. I did a very meticulous antenna shaving on my '89 CRX with foam inside the hole to fill the gap, then layered on kittyhair (filler with fiberglas reinforcement strands in it), then put bondoed/primed over it like 12 times to get it 98% perfect, then used the red final filler putty to get it to where it looked absolutely perfect when primered over. It took forever, literally weeks of doing it over and over (along with filling the license plate holes in the bumper cover).

Less than a year later, after being professionally painted, the outline of the hole (and the two screwholes) were showing through the paint, and then it started cracking from different expansion rates i would guess in the sun (I live in Colorado where the reduced atmosphere probably makes for faster UV deterioration of painted surfaces).

It still looks great from a distance, but really hokey up close.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

fiberglass bondo is a real good way to do the small holes like antenna and emblems but you really wanna weld it over if your going to have a daily driver check out this site of my brothers car that i have shaved the trunk and door handles and antenna and emblems and comeing soon the rain gutters on top and moldings on the doors
http://members.cardomain.com/joec3
dank91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 09:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 cryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to cryz2 Send a message via Skype™ to cryz2

i would like to see how the gutters come out , i was thinking of just that job last night

TWIN CARBS BABY + Bisimoto Cam
Dyslexia sucks
cryz2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Apex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

you can allways go for the jdm look and get the antenna plug cover. they got those on ebay.
Apex001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 mark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunna
Send a message via AIM to mark7901

Do they make the small "shark style" antennas for 5th gens? You know, the ones like on a VW?
mark7901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 zrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Borat

this was an ancient post... and they have the top mounted antennas which are universal. i seen em on a few hatches but i dont like the antenna. i had mine shaved and have the antenna wired into the rear glass defrost.
zrowcool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 mark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunna
Send a message via AIM to mark7901

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrowcool
i had mine shaved and have the antenna wired into the rear glass defrost.

Is that easy to do?
mark7901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in