Shifting with using the clutch and how to save gass - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
dxmannn

ok this is something my uncle in law told me how to do he know how to cuz he used to drive big rigs anyways i done this on my 96 civc and a madza mx6 turbo and had no problem doing it

ok this it what you do put the car in fitrst like you would normaly do and when u get to about 3kor 3.5k pull the stick into second with out pushing the clutch it will go in to gear when the rpm hits around 2.4k. when i do i on my civic it goes very smooth when doing other gears do it the same but when u do it to go to 5th gear you gotta do it fast before ya rpm drops... also when chaning the gears u have to pull it back nicely not like your racing and keep the force untill it goes into gear.

saving gas

change 1st gear at 2.3k rpm in first and 3k rpm in all other gears save a shit load of gas
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2004, 04:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

doesn't save any gas and it causes excessive wear and tear on the shifter forks.

Even "bumping" the stick into neutral while coasting down causes wear.

I still go through 1-2 shifter forks a year!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2004, 04:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

the way i save gas is the fastest i can get to 5th gear/ lowest rpm
boud92si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
dxmannn

shit owell thougt i was doing something
Old 02-13-2004, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle

I found that with a y8, best mileage is shifting at about 3500, and then cruising at 60 or so. With mostly highway, that'll give ya 38 mpg. And monitor the VTEC usage! Treat it like nitrous and you'll save lotsa fuel. I usually expect a 1 mpg loss per tank for every 5-10 times using VTEC, depending on duration of the run. (It takes fewer times for 3rd gear accelerations onto freeways, they suck the juice pretty good)

As a bonus, the shifts from 3500 are really easy to make smooth. With experience, it can almost feel like an auto shifting.
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 17 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense

Yeah, 3500 is a good shift point. I try to cruise between 2500 & 3500, seems to work well. And like you said, be easy on the shifting. I've actually had people ride with me and when they get out say "I didn't know that your car was a stick... didn't feel like it"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2004, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

i did your method and all i get is bad grinding noises. i might have fucked up my gears. i don't know, but i'm gonna check when the weather gets warmer.
sxng9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2004, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
dxmannn

yea it makes that noise if ya rpm drops to low but ATTENTION PEOPLE I DO NOT TAKE RESPONABILTY FOR YOUR ACTION THANK YOU
Old 05-25-2004, 08:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Turd Ferguson

uh, to achieve best gas mileage you all should check out you're owners manuals....they tell you at what MPH to shift at
Old 05-26-2004, 04:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

2900 rpm, keep it below that and let long term fuel tables handle the rest.

No idea what I mean?????????

Welcome to MY world of 44-45 mpg SOHC Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 06:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

powershifting is never good

even if it somehow saves you gas, its not gonna save you from having to switch your tranny once you mess up
7thGear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 08:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Long term/short term fuel trims I'm nowhere near your age Bone but I am none the less in your world How do I save gas with my mostly highway travels? TAILGATING!!!

Most of the traffic consists of SUV's and Suburban type Explorer trucks and the usual tractor trailer. I get right up on their ass. Yeah I'm one of those assholes that when you look in the mirror you cant see my headlights. IT saves me a crapload of gas though lol! Drafting anyone?

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 08:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

you enjoy driving with a big SUV in front of you?

i usualy try to go around them... i hate being behind someone... i have this stupid urge to always be ahead of the pack.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Yeah most of us have that urge too but down here everyone drives like a madman on the highway. Traffic "flows" around 80-85mph so I feel no need to go any faster. I already got a Bs ticket from traveling in a pack of SUV's.

Old 05-26-2004, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar
Long term/short term fuel trims I'm nowhere near your age Bone but I am none the less in your world How do I save gas with my mostly highway travels? TAILGATING!!!

Most of the traffic consists of SUV's and Suburban type Explorer trucks and the usual tractor trailer. I get right up on their ass. Yeah I'm one of those assholes that when you look in the mirror you cant see my headlights. IT saves me a crapload of gas though lol! Drafting anyone?
Brake check!!
silverctr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

asssholes that tailgate me get a nice big and fast DOWNSHIFT, fuckers dont see it comming

and if they ram me i get huge cash settlement
Old 05-26-2004, 06:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Premium Member

Ahh but thats the beauty of tailgating. Not only do you save gas but it eggs the driver infront of you on and gives you a good excuse to down shift her and wiz on by lol. Yeah I hate tailgaters too and brake check em but if I see a big rig movin at a good clip I'm there buddy.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

lmao...i know what you mean, I'll be doing that this weekend for the long trip to cincinnati...750 miles of drifting...

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Curious George

Rep Power: 18 Belette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxmannn
ok this is something my uncle in law told me how to do he know how to cuz he used to drive big rigs anyways i done this on my 96 civc and a madza mx6 turbo and had no problem doing it

ok this it what you do put the car in fitrst like you would normaly do and when u get to about 3kor 3.5k pull the stick into second with out pushing the clutch it will go in to gear when the rpm hits around 2.4k. when i do i on my civic it goes very smooth when doing other gears do it the same but when u do it to go to 5th gear you gotta do it fast before ya rpm drops... also when chaning the gears u have to pull it back nicely not like your racing and keep the force untill it goes into gear.

saving gas

change 1st gear at 2.3k rpm in first and 3k rpm in all other gears save a shit load of gas
If you save .01c of gaz per full tank, where did you find other $ to replace fork and syncro in tranny , you will save with method of driving and good setup for that & tune-up... LOL... If cars have clutch, it better to use that, if you are too lazy to push on this thing, go with automatic Golf TDI, you will find economy that you want with no clutch :P

Tell your uncle that Honda doesn't have yet Speed shift pro 400 semi-automatic tranny...

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Awesome Photography Thread:

Belette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
n_23_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGear
asssholes that tailgate me get a nice big and fast DOWNSHIFT, fuckers dont see it comming

and if they ram me i get huge cash settlement
Hell yeah! I don't have abs on my 95 dx sedan but some asshole gets behind me and tailgates I wait untill they get really close then put my foot to the floor on my brake pedal! If they don't hit me at least I scared the shit out of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in