sound dampening - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 crxtscy is learning the way of the Dcrxtscy is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

So my girlfriend was complaing about my exhaust being "too loud", wtf?! So after getting shit for months for it, I decided to do somthing about it. I ordered some Dynamat off ebay for a killer price, but the shit is fawkin heavy!!!!! So pondered on a cheap, lighter substitute. I remembered in my dorm room days I used some egg crate to line my door on the inside, to keep the noise down on those days I slept all day. SO here is what I came up with.
Step 1:
Remove the cardboard piece from the floor of your trunk\hatch and take it inside.
Step 2:
Take your eggcrate foam and cut it to the size of the cardboard piece.
Step 3:
Take some normal white glue or somthing similar and squrt it all over one side of the board (pref. the bottom of the board) & apply the egg crate to the board.
Step 4:
After it drys for a hour or so then put it back in the trunk\hatch.

This basically cut out the suspension noise and exhaust noise. Basically muffling all noise.
Good Luck!
crxtscy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
ProjectH213

the most noisey part of my crx is the rear wheel wells. so in order to cut down on the road noise i used expanding spray foam that is ment to seal up spaces in houses and filled the empty space behind the rear speaker all the way back to the trunk. it worked perfect and weighs a lot less than dynomat and probably cost less too.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2004, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 crxtscy is learning the way of the Dcrxtscy is learning the way of the D

That might be a bad idea if you live in a moist climate. I wouldn't suggest using foam, ever try getting it out?
crxtscy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2004, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
ProjectH213

yeah i understand where ur coming from but with that eggshell foam your refering to it can still get wet and smell like a wet dog. i would rather use what i did that simple reason.... to each their own....
Old 05-06-2004, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
EGR

http://www.b-quiet.com/
I use the "brown bread" on my rear wheel well coz I remove the rear seats in the summer. it makes quite a different, but pretty heavy tho so don't over-apply. let me know if you want pictures
Old 05-06-2004, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 cryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to cryz2 Send a message via Skype™ to cryz2

i have used expanding spray foam the stuff i got over hear , was warter proff and fire retarden its green supa hevy duty and it works very well , as water can not penitrate it its all so good , for fixing holes in body work , in places ware you can not get backing mesh , then you just rub it down and put body filler on top , i all so filled my sills with it and welded plates over the top the sprayed undersell on it and this help kill off a bit of road rummbel to

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWIN CARBS BABY + Bisimoto Cam
Dyslexia sucks
cryz2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2004, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

how thin is this brown bread stuff...

i'm sold as it is... but seems kinda weird... but then again this IS the 21 century
7thGear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
EGR

i just happen to have a roll in my room, haha.

I put the pen there for comparison.

Last edited by EGR; 05-16-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

maybe i'll get a couple..

too much road noise in my car.
7thGear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2004, 05:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
EGR

get the roller from them or from a hardware store, it'll make the job a lot easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in