DIY Civic FN2 Type-r front seats in EG - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 roberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

This DIY is how Civic FN2 Type-r seats fit into Civic EG. There are plenty people who has them fitted but quite none how they fit and what needs to be done.

I got my hands on absolutely new seats so here you go.

Pros:
+ They are cheaper than Recaros
+ They are MUCH more supportive and comfy than EP3 seats
+ Newer car = better condition seats

Cons:
- Yes, they are heavy (because not made by Recaro) drivers seat 27kg, passengers 25kg
- Yes, they do sit quite high
- Quite massive/thick

Seat belt buckle release mechanism does not work with EG seat belts! Swap them from EG seats or other that fits (mine was from 4th gen Prelude seats)

Basically you can use 3 rail brackets of oem EG seat and save some time, but you can also make them by hand and get your seat 3-4 cm lower. Bracket you don't need to touch and it fits already is the one on back side closer to exhaust tunnel!

Drill off all rivets from FN2 seat rail 3 brackets. Bolt one of the retained bracket into your EG and see how you will fit new brackets to rails.

Here are new brackets I made of 4mm steel. They are the same angle as original EG just bend is as close as possible to floor.

If you have welding machine, then it's straight forward job! If you don't have welder and want rails to stay intact... then comes the fun part!

When drilling all the rivets off, you must have noticed all rivet heads are quite thin so seat rails slide into each other and you can move seat forward and backwards. Now you must find bolts with thin flat heads for clearance!
I used 3 furniture 6mm bolts for the front brackets. Due to lowest possible seat position I had to make threads in brackets because nuts would not fit under for first two bolts. It can be done, but it is MUCH easier and adviseable just to weld them.
[Sorry, will make photo other time]

For back bracket there is hole for 10mm bolt but bolt head thickness does not affect anything there. For 6mm hole I used the same furniture bolt.

Overall I am really pleased with result! These seats offer great support if you don't mind extra weight. I took all side airbags out and filled empty space with regular putty, but whole set of airbags of two seats weigh 1,5kg max.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by roberts; 01-06-2019 at 09:12 PM.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
civic, fn2 seats in eg, type-r

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in