Disabling / Blocking off the EGR on 92-00 VTEC-E engines - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 04:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Disabling / Blocking off the EGR on 92-00 VTEC-E engines

Hey there!

Thought I'd post a guide here, because it's not yet there and some people sometimes ask about how to disable the EGR for a little better throttle response.

As there's a lift sensor included in the EGR valve, it's not enough to just pull the plugs off. That would throw a solid CEL. So this is why we will only block off the EGR ducts to and from the valve so nothing will get through anymore.

Let's get started..

Things you need:
- gasket paper (I think about .5-1mm thickness is what I used)
- utility knife / sharp knife / cardboard cutter
- your EGR valve

So, first you remove the EGR valve from your intake manifold. Take it and put it on your gasket paper. Now outline its shape with a pen. Mark the spots where the holes for the studs are. Disregard the inner holes of the valve because that's what you want to block off. Now cut everythig out. Put it on the underside of the EGR valve or the intake manifold to see if everything lines up correctly.

This is just an example to show how it should look like in shape (only the felt-tip marked holes still needed to be drilled out at that point):

I made that one out of steel sheet to replace the EGR valve completely, because I was mounting a D15Z8 intake manifold (same thing as the D16Y5) to a D14 engine which doesn't have any EGR at all. Thus, the ECU didn't require it and I could completely leave it off in that special case.

When it's matching up, just put that gasket on the intake manifold and the EGR valve on top. Tighten the nuts and you're done. You have now successfully disabled / blocked off the EGR without it causing any CELs.
On my D15Z8 engine (D15 VTEC-E) this worked just fine. Throttle response got better than with EGR.

Also, if you want to bolt the better Y5 manifold to your Y7 engine (for example because you happen to have a spare one or found one cheaper than the Y8 one without EGR), you can do it like I did back in the days on the D14. Make yourself a block off plate out of steel sheet and just put it on with some liquid gasket. Always looks better than having an inactive and unplugged valve on top.

Feel free to comment. I know it's not that hard. But as people are still sometimes wondering and asking how to disable it, I was hoping this will help them to just get started instead of frequently asking questions about if and how it can be done..

Last edited by Blues; 02-21-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in