EG seats on 89 cipher rails DIY - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default EG seats on 89 cipher rails DIY

This should be good info for people like me who want stock seats but have an inconvenient year civic. Rails and brackets might be different on other years but the theory should be the same. The plan is to cut the non critical nubs circled in red, then drill out the rivets and spot welds circled in blue. The holes don't quite line up perfectly on the rails so I have to drill some new ones. I think with the adjustment holes on the ends of the rails they might end up being pretty close to stock seat height.
2017-02-18 09.21.56 by Anomolix, on Flickr
2017-02-18 09.22.15 by Anomolix, on Flickr
2017-02-18 09.33.24 by Anomolix, on Flickr
I broke 4 bits drilling out the rivets and spot welds....There are 14 total. If you want to minimize hitting the end things with a hammer and risk bending the slider make sure you get right in the center of the rivets and spot welds that way one side of an off center hole isn't holding them on while you're trying to remove them.
2017-02-18 12.20.47 by Anomolix, on Flickr
All done with the drilling and cutting minus the extra holes for the rails. I think I'll drill into the slider and use the existing holes in the rails instead of vice versa. I'm a little guy so I'll be using the furthest back holes to allow me the most forward movement. If I don't like it I have extra holes to use for mounting spots.
2017-02-18 12.08.28 by Anomolix, on Flickr
2017-02-18 12.09.06 by Anomolix, on Flickr
The actual seat bracket didn't quite line up so it took some coercing.
2017-02-18 15.34.58 by Anomolix, on Flickr
Annnd did not anticipate this, as you can see the EG sliders are too wide to fit onto both sides. I'm still trying to figure out how to get both sides mounted. I'm thinking just a piece of steel and drill some holes in it so it can fit between the empty space, and that would definitely work but there would be sagging on one side since it's just 2 bolts on the ends of a piece of steel. Maybe if I use a square piece instead of a flat bar and connect it to all three holes on the rail it will help prevent the tilting. Who knows, I'm open for suggestions.
2017-02-18 16.02.35 by Anomolix, on Flickr
Overall I like it. I am able to get the seat much closer and previously the seats were only bolted on one of the oem mounting holes. This with only 1 side of the rail connected is still way more rigid than before. Only issue I have is that they sit a bit high, but I'm thinking I can bend the front tab a tiny bit forward so it will clear the bolt once it's mounted since that's what's preventing me from using the top hole to get the seat a little lower. It's pretty much done minus the 4 brackets to accommodate for the width. It got dark so I'll post the fitment picture tomorrow and the actual finished project as soon as it's done.

Last edited by anomolix; 02-18-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: I try to be thorough
anomolix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 05:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D

Good diy. I will be using this here soon. Thank you.
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice writeup!
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in