My DIY valvespring compressor - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default My DIY valvespring compressor

I made a thing. Was about 30 bucks for the metal. I ended up spending more than I needed to because I wasn't sure how I was going to make it but all in all you could build one for 20 bucks. Head still needs to be bolted down to something and my welds are crap, but it works damn good. Much better than expected.
2017-01-22 20.13.40 by Anomolix, on Flickr
2017-01-22 20.14.03 by Anomolix, on Flickr
2017-01-22 20.16.15 by Anomolix, on Flickr
anomolix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

That's pretty awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody

Thanks! For how much these sell for I think it was worth it. Even the cheap ebay ones are like 50 bucks so I win! I still need to get a die and put threads on the ends of the rod because it does move around a bit.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Projekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropes

why not get a piece of threaded rod from ace and cut it to size then add a couple nuts and lock washers so you can lock the unit in the position needed or else weld a handle on end and cut 2 tubular pieces and and make it adjustable horizontally and free spining but it will stay in whichever position you stop turning the hanhdle. just an idea but sweet DIY
Projekt2nr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D

Good ideas suggested above. i used one of the cheap harbor frieght ones but this looks like it would be way easier to use.
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt2nr View Post
why not get a piece of threaded rod from ace and cut it to size then add a couple nuts and lock washers so you can lock the unit in the position needed or else weld a handle on end and cut 2 tubular pieces and and make it adjustable horizontally and free spining but it will stay in whichever position you stop turning the hanhdle. just an idea but sweet DIY
While I did think of that, I was going for something that was quickly used on every spring vs having to stop, readjust compressor location, re-screw it down, stop, readjust compressor, re screw it down. With this one I can slide it to whatever spring very quickly and get it done. The spring pressure is minimal so needing it locked in place wasn't a concern.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfab View Post
Good ideas suggested above. i used one of the cheap harbor frieght ones but this looks like it would be way easier to use.
Yup yup this is so quick and easy to use.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 ef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enough

That's awesome. Very creative.
ef89hatch28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Looks great. I had hell using the harbor fright tool.
Ended up giving up on it and just used a socket and weight.
Put vaseiline on the keepers and got everything into place. Press down on the socket and slowly release.
2 of 3 times it all work.
The time i probably had to try 2 more times to get it to work.

But that would of been 10times easier with your tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

$40 bucks.

You can do a complete head in 15 minutes, remove the springs, replace the valve stem seals, and reinstall. Its insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

We used to simply hold the spring down with two small hammer handles in the old days. You'd need a third hand to pull out the spring and cotters.

I've also heard that if you put a socket over the cup washer and tap it smartly with a hammer while keeping a hold of it, the spring will jump out.

Obviously, you'll need to block the valves in the closed position in both cases, so the head has to be off the motor.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
$40 bucks.

You can do a complete head in 15 minutes, remove the springs, replace the valve stem seals, and reinstall. Its insane.

I see how these would be effective for removing the keepers, but I've always wondered how you use those to get them back on.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomolix View Post
I see how these would be effective for removing the keepers, but I've always wondered how you use those to get them back on.
i dont know how it would help install, but it has a magnet inside the tube that holds the keepers when they fall out, its kinda nice.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Quote:
$40 bucks.

For free you can use a 13mm deep socket and a hammer to do the same job and still have to figure out how to install the keepers when you're done.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Projekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropesProjekt2nr is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
While I did think of that, I was going for something that was quickly used on every spring vs having to stop, readjust compressor location, re-screw it down, stop, readjust compressor, re screw it down. With this one I can slide it to whatever spring very quickly and get it done. The spring pressure is minimal so needing it locked in place wasn't a concern.
fosho makes sense
Projekt2nr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 12:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Nice tool, I need to learn how to weld.
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
The black piece is for installing the keepers. You put the spring down over the valve stem in the head. You place the keepers into the retainer on the bench. Then you place the retainer on the spring, with the keepers still loaded in the retainer. Put the black attachment on the tool, put the little pin in the middle onto the tip of the valve, and push down. It all automatically locks into place. It seriously takes 15 minutes to do 16 valves.
Quote:
Old 02-08-2017, 02:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
The black piece is for installing the keepers. You put the spring down over the valve stem in the head. You place the keepers into the retainer on the bench. Then you place the retainer on the spring, with the keepers still loaded in the retainer. Put the black attachment on the tool, put the little pin in the middle onto the tip of the valve, and push down. It all automatically locks into place. It seriously takes 15 minutes to do 16 valves.
Wow.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

Ill take a video of it one day. Maybe theres one on youtube already. I shall look.

This guy has the right idea, but instead of "hammering" them back together, you can just push down with your weight and it will all lock together unless you have crazy CRAZY stiff springs.

Quote:

Last edited by FarmerD; 02-11-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in