Polyurethane Bushings Squeak Fix - Greasing - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Polyurethane Bushings Squeak Fix - Greasing

I greased my bushing couple days ago, because they Squeaked terribly after 3 years of use.
Especially on twisting actions and on small or large bumps.

I drilled each metal arm where the bushing located all the way through the rubber to the metal sleeve and cut thread 1/4-28 and put auto-zone standard zerk fitting.

And pressed Lucas marine grease with grease gun.

I did it for all 3 front bushings on each side and the squeak gone away finally

I make a video of how I did it. the name on youtube - polyurethane bushings Squeak fix Honda civic 99 EX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb6g_xr0Lds

Ill try to post some pictures also but video more detailed, and not so long
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1042.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	104129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1043.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	924.0 KB
ID:	104137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1044.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	816.7 KB
ID:	104145  
Michael99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D

only fitting on the first picture gonna be replaced for set on each side screw because could be damaged by road conditions,

two another fittings are recessed so they can stay on the place
Old 03-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

make sure the grease will not eat at the poly.

marine grease does not necessarily describe it as proper.

on the tube or bottle, it will say what it is compatible with.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

I will see if it eats or not, with the time. But I don't think its gonna eat the bushings.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

You're likely also not a chemical engineer but whatever. I used the provided poly lube when I installed energy suspension tension rod bushings.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael99 View Post
I will see if it eats or not, with the time. But I don't think its gonna eat the bushings.
most petroleum products eat at rubber and poly bushings.

It generally needs to be a silicone based grease to be safe.

it will specifically say on container if safe for rubber products.

if it does not, you may need to replace those bushings in as little as 6 months

Build what you have!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

thanks guys i'll check it on the bottle
Old 03-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

check the bottle and there is nothing saying about rubber,

the sign there says - multipurpose, good for roller bearings and automotive use and many more stuff

so if it good for roller bearings there is also rubber seals on bearings so it should be good.

And I did the test today I had poly bushing from 26mm sway bar that I don't use. In the morning I greased it well, and in the evening they fit shaft the same and stay hard the same.

I have prothane bushings that is more harder than energy suspension.

And with the time I'll definitely gonna fill the looseness in joints if it is gonna happen
Old 03-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

it says nothing about rubber. its not good for it then.

bearings dont use straight rubber. its a compound of sorts that is resistant to chemicals and petroleum.

the difference will be like an oil leak onto your belts. it wont effect it right away. it will take awhile to deteriorate.

Id find a grease marked safe for rubber or poly, and simply get enough in there that it forces the other stuff out. no need to pull things apart and clean.

I greased my brothers rear swaybar bushings with what I thought was a safe grease. I changed those bushings after only 4 months. they still appeared okay, but they shrunk and were sloppy in the bracket

Build what you have!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

I don't know if the marine grease you used is a lithium grease(water and heat (~130 oC) resistant), but if it is - you are all good. I've been running it for like 2-3 years now, on my diy 90 shore poly bushings.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

probably I'll follow the advise above and gonna press new grease safe for it. There is alot of work to replace them again + money too
Old 03-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

yeah, no need to change out the bushing or whatever. just be slow about squeezing new grease, you will be fine.

greasable bushings means that its easy noise control in the future though!!

Build what you have!

Old 03-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the grease squishing out looks like something out of a Miyazaki film.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in