Plastic Bumper Repair - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 del_samuel will become famous soon enoughdel_samuel will become famous soon enoughdel_samuel will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Plastic Bumper Repair

What's up guys, got another DIY on some repair work at my job.

I know a lot of you guys might be picking up used bumpers, which usually have some dents, scrapes, scratches, and all sorts of damage. It's much harder to find a clean one nowadays, but I'm a fan of used OEM parts for their fitment and materials.

This bumper was hit right where the bumper splits in two (it's a two piece bumper) and had gouges in it as well as a pretty sizable dent.

Here's a gouge on the bottom portion

And a couple pictures of the dent and scrapes on the upper portion

First thing's first, let's get that dent out.

I used a heat gun on the back of the bumper right where the damage was. The trick is to heat it up to the point where the bumper becomes very flexible, but not too hot or the plastic starts to melt. You'll see this as the plastic gets darker and shinier when it's too hot.

I didn't get a picture of this because it's pretty self explanatory, but what I did was take the back side of a screwdriver (preferably plastic) and I worked the dent out until the dent was pretty much gone.

This is once I got the dent worked out. It might take a couple heating processes and massaging of the plastic

Once you get the dent out, let that cool down for the next step.

I usually start out sanding a bumper with 180 grit on my DA

Keep the DA nice and flat, don't use the edge or you can actually do worse damage to the bumper and your repair won't be as straight.

This is during sanding, notice the scrapes starting to disappear as I level the plastic.

del_samuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 del_samuel will become famous soon enoughdel_samuel will become famous soon enoughdel_samuel will become famous soon enough

Here's the plastic once I got it nice and smooth with no scrapes left

Now sometimes I like to use a product called EZ-Sand. It's a flexible plastic filler that sands kinda like filler. Since this was at work, I like to make things perfect and the plastic wasn't quite where I wanted it.

First, spray the bumper with a light quick coat of adhesion promoter to help the EZ-Sand stick

Here's the EZ-Sand. It's a two part tube and needs a dual plunger gun to dispense it

It spreads a little harder than a filler, but it levels out real smooth. Here's a couple pictures of once it's applied

Once that's dried, you can block this stuff out with a sanding block and 180 grit. Like I said, it sands really well and it blocks out just like filler on a dent on sheet metal.

After all your filler is blocked to perfection, I take a block with 320 to sand out the 180 scratches. Once you're done sanding, it should look like this

Old 08-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

And now you're ready for primer and paint! I got a couple of pictures of this bumper before I put it back on the car so you can see what the repair looks like

And that's it! Let me know if you have any questions

Old 08-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 ej_emilayy326 is learning the way of the Dej_emilayy326 is learning the way of the D

Great post man!!! I am hoping I can repair my rear bumper. I do believe my front bumper is screwed

91' EF Sedan
95' DC2
96' CD5
95' EJ1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ej_emilayy326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 stelios  is accepted as part of the communitystelios  is accepted as part of the communitystelios  is accepted as part of the communitystelios  is accepted as part of the community

Good how to, may have to use this on a few spots on my front bumper cover. OEM CRX parts are tough to find around here.
stelios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D

Thats exactly what I need!!! Thank you!!!
Michael99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 07:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Man great work and write up, thanx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

YEaa.. how much is the dual plunger for that 3M stuff.

If I had body shop connections,those plungers are all over the place. But for the backyard DIY'er spending that much for a plunger and the 3M e-z sand (let alone trying to find it) seems out of reach.

Im mean, great DIY IF you have the DA sander and all the pro tools to do the job right.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I think it is interesting to see how pros do vs us, some times it is out of reach but other times it gives me ideas on how to approach a body shop or the work my self.

Plus it is fun to watch any one with a skill fix something that some one else cannot.

Lots of win in this one. Nice DIY for sure.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
YEaa.. how much is the dual plunger for that 3M stuff.

If I had body shop connections,those plungers are all over the place. But for the backyard DIY'er spending that much for a plunger and the 3M e-z sand (let alone trying to find it) seems out of reach.

Im mean, great DIY IF you have the DA sander and all the pro tools to do the job right.
Yeah I know the EZ sand is kind of expensive and all. You dont have to use it, if you work the bumper out good enough, 180 grit should be able to level the plastic near perfect. I fix a ton of bumpers with no ez sand and they come out great!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Nice!

Now come fix my quarter panels lol
Oaken81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaken81 View Post
Nice!

Now come fix my quarter panels lol
I would if you could come here! Delaware is kinda far though haha
Old 08-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Thanks Samuel! This is exactly what I need for my Wagon and CRX.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2015, 07:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

If not EZ sand then what else do you suggest?

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2015, 08:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

If you need something to fill with, but don't have ez sand, I'd say just a super thin coat of regular finishing glaze works. Modern ones are pretty flexible, and older Honda bumpers aren't as flimsy as new ones so you should be good.

Glad I could help LowFlyin'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in