DIY No Slop Shifter for $14.99 - Lowe's - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 95coupeD16y8 is learning the way of the D95coupeD16y8 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY No Slop Shifter for $14.99 - Lowe's

Hello everyone on DSO and guests.

For the longest time, I've had quite a bit of slop in my shifter. About a 3 inch range of side to side motion when in any gear. This made my 1-2 shift TERRIBLE and made it feel like gear lockout when revving out the car. For $14.99 a friend and I have solved this problem. Can be done in about 30 minutes if moving quickly.
All of my slop was in the U joint near the trans. I am well aware of the no slop linkage that is offered by RCautoworks. But not all of us can drop 130$ on shifter linkage, especially when this does the job for much less and little work effort.

Video of the U Joint that connects to transmission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFJHFneGmb4

THE PARTS YOU NEED
1 grade 8 bolt 3/8-16 x 2-1/2 #880190
1 grade 8 lock nut 3/8-16 #883184
2 brass bushings #882995
1 steel spacer zinc 3/8 x 1/2 x 1-1/2 #880418
1 steel spacer zinc 1/2 x 5/8 x 1-1/2 #880421

First remove the linkage off the car.
Next you will grind this rivet off of the linkage.

Next you will insert the small sleeve you purchased from lowe's, into the bigger sleeve.

Push the sleeve into ONE of the brass bushings (takes some effort with a hammer)
We like tight fits with our shifters
Image below shows what the bushing looks like, how it will be in the actual linkage joint part. Do NOT put the bushing together 100%, as one brass bushing with the pin goes into the joint part, then you will press the other brass bushing in.

You will need a punch to put the sleeve into the middle of the brass bushings, as the sleeve is not the full length of two bushings put together. This does NOT effect how the shifter will feel.

To get the brass bushings inside the actual joint, you will need to make this part a 1/2" hole where the original bushings were.

This is how it looks assembled. Notice how the sleeve sits a little bit inside the bushings.

A 3/8" drill bit will be needed on this part of the actual linkage piece that way our new bolt will fit.

SHIFTER after installation!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt94ztXmJ2U
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1374584554.840034.jpg
Views:	5941
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	91410   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	4586
Size:	578.5 KB
ID:	91418   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpg
Views:	4845
Size:	703.0 KB
ID:	91426   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (4).jpg
Views:	8655
Size:	885.0 KB
ID:	91434   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (6).jpg
Views:	5085
Size:	688.9 KB
ID:	91442  

Last edited by 95coupeD16y8; 07-05-2015 at 03:45 AM.
95coupeD16y8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

All you need is a brand new sealed universal joint welded in place of the stock one. Or if you're feeling brave, make your own boot over a cheap UJ and secure it with zip ties and fill it with grease. That's pretty much what RCAutoworks offers. Not knocking their service, just giving some info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 95coupeD16y8 is learning the way of the D95coupeD16y8 is learning the way of the D

Yes I'm aware
Just posting this for those that don't have a welder or may be afraid to cut their own linkage if it's a daily like mine
This is just a temp fix for myself until I can afford the RCAutoworks linkage. This is cheaper than the u joint and requires basic tools to complete.

I seen the diy on crx community about what you're speaking of, and I didn't feel that brave haha.

Last edited by 95coupeD16y8; 07-04-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 s3v3n is learning the way of the Ds3v3n is learning the way of the D

Great job and nice write up, thanks!

Quote:
To get the brass bushings inside the actual joint, you will need to make this part a 1/2" hole.
So did you have to bore out the hole in the original joint in order to fit the brass bushings?
s3v3n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

I just went to Lowe's and bought these parts, your part numbers made it easy thanks

I don't get why you circled that part and said you need to drill a 1/2" hole. I get drilling the bracket for the 3/8 bolt, but what is drilled 1/2 and where?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 03:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

1/2" hole where the original bushing was at. The brass bushings will not fit without making it 1/2".
Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Cool write up, my shyts sloppy like goose poop. Will do this next time I pull my tranny....phrasing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 s3v3n is learning the way of the Ds3v3n is learning the way of the D

Seems like this should ideally be done to both halves of the joint. Do you think that it would be worth doing the same process to the portion welded to the bar?
s3v3n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

This looks almost exactly what I did to my linkage in my build thread but I did both joints and it feels like a s2000 shifter now.

Good write up.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 05:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Freaking awesome dude, good write up. +Rep

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

Pic of it re-assembled on the car?

:
Old 07-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pic of it re-assembled on the car?
X2
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2015, 12:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Better have a vice on hand!! Ive got a heavy duty vice and needed to put a breaker bar on the handle to get them to all squeeze together and Im no wimp @ 200lbs. But my god is the shifting ever CRISP after doing this and the hardrace vulcanized rubber bushings all at once.

Thanks again for all the part numbers and doing the leg work OP!

:
Old 07-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

I love this.

Kevin, you may want to use a Nyloc nut on that.

My car hates me.

Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0DazE View Post
I love this.

Kevin, you may want to use a Nyloc nut on that.
I was gonna say the same thing... and maybe a little dab of Loctite as well.... Im def going to be doing this mod... My shifter is a little sloppy
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 04:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Theres a lock washer and blue Loctite, cmon guys, this aint my first day
Old 07-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 satansbrother is learning the way of the Dsatansbrother is learning the way of the D

Lolks like ive got something to make at work now. Thanks for the idea +1
satansbrother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 02:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Great write up
escapingfate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 24TEN  is slowly gaining respect24TEN  is slowly gaining respect24TEN  is slowly gaining respect24TEN  is slowly gaining respect24TEN  is slowly gaining respect

Glad you posted this, I have my transmission out of my car at the moment so now's a great time to address the slop with this solution.
24TEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

I think I'm Going to try this with the spare linkage I have. Than do a comparison to the rc one.

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
d16, no slop, shifter, trans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in