easy water leak locator - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default easy water leak locator

Hope this is in the right section and i know water leaks are not the hardest thing to track down but was trying to come up with ideas on how to make the job easier.

idea #1 GLOWING WATER
was wondering if there would be any safe additive that can be added to your coolant that would cause a reaction too a black light. you can simply pour some highlighter marker fluid in a container of water to get this affect. as far as damaging anything, the highlighters are non toxic, and any archival quality ones and i would imagine all of them honestly will be acid free.

any thoughts on this?

idea #2 is using some sort of soap that would cause bubbles too show any leaks witch i think would work but damn that would be one hell of a coolant flush later on lol.

interested in any other ideas of thoughts on this. i think the UV sensitive water would be a good idea.
kontroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Um UV dye?
Man it was hot out today.
Fucking summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
Um UV dye?
Man it was hot out today.
Fucking summer.
lol yes thats what it would be,
sorry if they already have a product that does this, i have no clue.
seems it could save someone some time and make the job of tracking down a leak fast.
if they do sell something like this i would be interested in knowing what it was called

and i mean a product for actual automotive use, i know i can get uv dye

ok so i checked into this and ya its already out there. too bad i didnt think of it first lol
and i had to wear a long sleeve shirt tonight, kinda cold here in arkansas lately. but i would trade you our winter for your summer anytime lol

Last edited by kontroller; 04-29-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

yes you can lol. that's why its called uv dye.

a simple google search will lead results. were you high when you made this thread? lol

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...coolant+system
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
yes you can lol. that's why its called uv dye.

a simple google search will lead results. were you high when you made this thread? lol

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...coolant+system
lol no i just didnt know, but ya i looked into a bit more and found it.
cant believe i have never heard of this stuff but then again i dont work on cars that much. just when my own gives me trouble.

cant say it wasnt a good idea tho lol somebody got rich im sure. just got beat too it.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

UV dye is awesome. except for the asshole previous owner of my car who apparently didnt realize once you used Dye to find the leak, you were supposed to fix said leak, instead of drenching the engine for 5+ years straight

Shit dont clean up easy lol

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

lol

The other method used, but mainly for oil leaks, is baby powder. It generally sticks long enough for 1-2 road tests, enough to see where fluid is leaking. The white powder disappears when it gets moist.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontroller View Post

interested in any other ideas
how about pressurizing the system and looking for water SHOOTING out

I can understand uv for AC but to locate where the green puddle came from...IDK
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

I've had "leaky" systems not leak a single psi over 24hrs. Sometimes the system needs to be hot to leak from certain spots.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
I've had "leaky" systems not leak a single psi over 24hrs. Sometimes the system needs to be hot to leak from certain spots.
then more pumping is needed 40lbs will find a leak every time as long as it leaks with the stock cap(nearly half the psi) at any temp.

snap on isn't known for making tools that don't work

Kuhneutson Valve - $20.00 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

if it works on a road racing Porsche. it should hold up to the massive amounts of powa a d-series civic can produce
Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by racejunke13 View Post
then more pumping is needed 40lbs will find a leak every time as long as it leaks with the stock cap(nearly half the psi) at any temp.

snap on isn't known for making tools that don't work

Kuhneutson Valve - $20.00 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

if it works on a road racing Porsche. it should hold up to the massive amounts of powa a d-series civic can produce

There are some leaks Ive pressurized to 120psi and had nothing.

Thermal tolerances are a bitch at times. get that fucker cooking, and it will leak the same way it leaks after hitting it for 20-30 minutes lol

Build what you have!

Old 04-30-2015, 05:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
There are some leaks Ive pressurized to 120psi and had nothing.
120 is to much...your causing the leak by running well over 100psi the system was built for, but anywho

pressurize to your hearts desire...
walk away for a hour...
come back later locate puddle...

bend this story around all you want it if you put it to 120 walked away if it is still at 120 a hour or two later. you don't have a leak if it went to 110, 115, see where i am going

this is the Bluepoint unit I have it WILL NEVER let me down
SVT275, Set, Automotive Cooling System Pressure Tester

possibly the tool you used was a harbor freight brand and the gauge meant 1.20 PSI which explains the no leak scenario

now for the disclaimer: I watched a ASE cert mechanic blow a heater core by pressurizing a 5th gen camaro to 100psi. talking about a 3 year old car with under 40,000 miles. so please read all instructions before pressurizing any Honda to 120psi as that is well passed the red on my 250 dollar tester there for most likely EXTREMELY UNSAFE

i would go with the highlighter, baby powder route before personally damaging my hoses, clamps, and any soldered joints
Old 04-30-2015, 05:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Used a pressure test kit from an old deisel shop with a few adapters. Kit was around 900 bucks 10 years ago or so.

I dont think Harbor Freight was around back then lol

pressurized 40-60 or so and it held it overnight I think (been awhile). Think we just worked up to 120 and decided to quit risking it and went the UV dye route. Found the leak only a few minutes after engine running.

Like I said, leaks from thermal tolerances are a bitch to find sometimes

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in