DIY D to B - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Icarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY D to B

So i finely found some time type this up. (I think the title should be B to D ooooooooops!)

D-series transmission on B-series engine

I will try and cover everything I possibly can. I have not done this myself but it is my daily and I am reverse engineering it for this DIY.

When I find time I will update this as I go along.

There might be a lot of debate on some of the modifications methods. I am only shearing this for information for shearing purposes. I or D-series.org will not be responsible for damages to you or you car or anyone. If this is done correctly can perform very well. There are over 100 cars with this conversion in Cape Town running without problems.

This DIY will not cover, ecu,tuning, exhaust, suspension or ignition. There is enough about that on the Internet.

I can only base this on my configuration but I have seen it done on CRX'es, EF's,EG's and EK's or anything with a D-series gearbox. If you want to attempt this on those chassis you will have to figure out any complications.

I have a 4 door So4 (ek) so all my pics and comments will reference that.

WHY?
Why would you want to use a D-series gearbox on with a B-series engine? That's stupid.

In South Africa B-series gearboxes are very limited and expensive if you do find one. They can cost up to R6000 or 600 USD?

I you have an a engine problem and want to put a new one in D-series engines can be expensive. (not D15s those are everywhere!) D16s can cost up to R8500 or 850 USD
The same price as a B20. Sometimes a B20 will cost less then a D15 or D16

Then you are faced with the gearbox problem and so it goes on...
If anyone reading this would like to import B-series gearboxes to South Africa there is a huge market waiting here.

Most of my pics are not as accurate as I would like but I will update as I go along.

D-series parts that are kept.
Gearbox
Drive shafts
CV's
Clutch
Fly wheel
Engine mounts
Power Steering
D-series Starter

Things I don't know yet.
intermediate drive shaft mod
B-series AC pump

The block and box. (old B20b and S40 gearbox in pics)

The top 2 bolts line perfectly with out any modification.
Which i find stage as I don't think they did in this DIY.
https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...r-own-d2b.html

But they do.

The rest of the holes that do not line up get drilled into the block and bolted.
Its about as easy at that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Icarus; 03-25-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Icarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to all

Fly Wheel
The D-series fly wheel is then machined to fit the B-series crank and is also rebalanced.

This is a d to b fly wheel.
Engineers have plugged 4 of holes and re drilled them to fit the B-series crank.
D-series clutch is fitted as normal.

Engine mounts:

Top right - engine is retained from the D-series engine and bolts on.
I dont know about the bit that mounts to the engine.

I have compared this to other So4 Honda's and it appears to be the same.

Bottom lower - gearbox (Remember the gearbox will not sit in the OEM location and is moved slightly to the left as the B-series engine is bigger)

This mount has to be cut in order to stop is hitting the chassis.
It is also shortened but I am not sure by how much. (more pics to come)

Top left - gearbox

This is also cut to accommodate the relocation of the box.(need better pics)

Rear - gearbox

The mount sits in its OEM location (I could be wrong)
The end of the bracket is cut and a plate is welded to keep it strong. It sits VERY close to the rear cross member. I cut more of it to accommodate 2 gearbox bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Icarus; 03-25-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rear bracket removed.

The engine block is cut here to accommodate the inner CV joint.

Power Steering

D series pump bolts straight on - not much to say here.

Chassis mods.
The chassis has to be cut a bit to accommodate the D-series alternator (if you are keeping it or fitting a B-series alternator)

Need better pics here too.

Last edited by Icarus; 03-25-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

reserved1

Old 03-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle
Send a message via AIM to 87REX

Im down to watch this unique little build. Good luck with it.

Ditch the Bisi cam unless you like your torque to drop off faster than Miley Cyrus' credibility.
Quote:
Never pass up a chance to work on a friends car at their house if you know their mom puts out..
87REX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

They also sell this
Evolution D2B Adaptor Kit

It is over price tho but its a bolt on.
Looking forward to seeing how yours goes
And main reason i see for a d2b tranx swap is tigher gearing and a but stronger transmission.

. RIP

Last edited by xile6; 03-25-2015 at 12:54 PM.
xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87REX View Post
Im down to watch this unique little build. Good luck with it.
hehe its done long time

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ml#post4238698

I am driving and racing on it. Still need to update that.

This is a DIY post.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
They also sell this

And main reason i see for a d2b tranx swap is tigher gearing and a but stronger transmission.
Seen that. Don't have time for adapter plates and it will push the gearbox further from the engine.

Mine goes! I must update my build thread. :S

Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
They also sell this

Isn't that for D-series motor using B-series tranny???

EDIT: I hope the block I was seeing was just a junkyard one for test fitting, the sleeves looked just slightly worn

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.

Last edited by BeerDrinkin; 03-25-2015 at 01:03 PM.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

That'll buff out beer, maybe some super glue.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Isn't that for D-series motor using B-series tranny???

EDIT: I hope the block I was seeing was just a junkyard one for test fitting, the sleeves looked just slightly worn
I think you are correct.

Yes it is but i am sure I can hone it out? :P

Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I think you are correct.

Yes it is but i am sure I can hone it out? :P
sarcasm? I thought I spied a crack in one of the sleeves
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
sarcasm? I thought I spied a crack in one of the sleeves
yep :P

yes - it smashed. This was a conversion B engine on D box and the owner put the car into 1 st at high speed and smashed up cly 4.

I got the block for build mock ups, its a great template as well. the S40 gearbox shell is also screwed up and I also use it for templates and mock up.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Anyways, I didn't say it earlier but good write up dude. Already sent the rep!

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

While interesting, I'm curious why someone would go through all the trouble. An LS trans is virtually the same gearing as a D16 trans. I'd also recommend using the same trans location and instead moving the motor over. You'll have frame rail issues & a custom driver's mount, but that's it. I'd also recommend NOT messing with the flywheel. It's very likely you can buy a pre-made flywheel for this combo. I can't recall who, but at least one company will make you a b-series flywheel with 6 bolt holes. It stands to reason they'll do the opposite.

Another thing I noticed is how your 2 top trans holes lined up while the opposite D2B combo does not. It looks like you're mocking them up w/o the input shaft. If you don't mock it up with the input shaft inserted into a fresh pilot bearing, the centerline of the crank & input shaft may be off. When you line them up, the front hole of the block/tranny will not line up and require enlargement. In other words, if you triagulate those 3 points (input shaft & bolts) on both the trans & engine, they may be different dimensions.

Quote:
They also sell this

That's D16 engine to B-series trans, this DIY is the complete opposite.

Last edited by HiProfile; 04-05-2015 at 09:15 AM.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 02:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
While interesting, I'm curious why someone would go through all the trouble. An LS trans is virtually the same gearing as a D16 trans. I'd also recommend using the same trans location and instead moving the motor over. You'll have frame rail issues & a custom driver's mount, but that's it. I'd also recommend NOT messing with the flywheel. It's very likely you can buy a pre-made flywheel for this combo. I can't recall who, but at least one company will make you a b-series flywheel with 6 bolt holes. It stands to reason they'll do the opposite.

Another thing I noticed is how your 2 top trans holes lined up while the opposite D2B combo does not. It looks like you're mocking them up w/o the input shaft. If you don't mock it up with the input shaft inserted into a fresh pilot bearing, the centerline of the crank & input shaft may be off. When you line them up, the front hole of the block/tranny will not line up and require enlargement. In other words, if you triagulate those 3 points (input shaft & bolts) on both the trans & engine, they may be different dimensions.

That's D16 engine to B-series trans, this DIY is the complete opposite.
Read my top comments.... Its not about ratios.
If you could confirm ratios that would be grate. I pull mine off the trans calculator.

Thats pretty tricky, any closer and my crank pulley will go into the chassis.
The B20 motor sits as it does in the original configuration that honda did in SA. (So4 with B18 )

frame rail issues? Please explain.

Hundreds of flywheels have been done like this without issues.
I don't like it but I do live with it.

I need to double check the bolts on my car (engine/gb). Yes I don't have a B20 crank, or machined flywheel. I have missed placed my ek/So4 input shaft so thats all I have for now. (in the garage)

I have not opened up the setup in my car. Nothings broken and its my daily as well.

But thanks for the input. I will update as I go along.

Last edited by Icarus; 04-16-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 sohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i am really interested in doing this. but the flywheel mod looks difficult. what did you use to cut the frame rail? does the upper transmission mount bolt up?
[email protected] slicks 10/6

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
250whp 221wtq [email protected]
Vitara build 44trim ebay setup
R.I.P. 8/9
325whp 210wtq 20psi [email protected]

Last edited by sohc-gT; 04-17-2015 at 01:06 PM.
sohc-gT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

Sorry I didn't see you location for some reason. I'm the kinda guy that normal has no fear of modding parts to work, it's just that flywheels are no joke if they shatter.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
Sorry I didn't see you location for some reason. I'm the kinda guy that normal has no fear of modding parts to work, it's just that flywheels are no joke if they shatter.
sorry for the delayed response.

They have done about 100 flywheels with no problems.
Yes I do agree with you.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Is there no way to use a b series flywheel and b series diamater clutch? Is the bell housing just way to small for it? Can it be clearenced to fit or just no?

I can certainly see the point if you live in an area where this is by far and above the cheapest engine tranny combo to run, and a b20 with tall d series gearing would certainly be better then it was with a d series.

However it is hard to beat a good B series tranny for performance and reliability. Considering what they were designed for, they can take an amazing amount of use and abuse.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in