axle nut removing tool - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default axle nut removing tool

I would like to show you the tool that is very easy to make, if you have welder, if you don't - it's not gonna cost you a lot of money to weld it in some different place.

When I tried to remove my axle nut, my car was on the ground with parking brake full up, and on the first gear. I inserted 1/2 12 inch extension with 32mm socket and supported it with jack stand. Than I start using 1/2 breaker bar with 60 inches pipe. I pressed firmly, Breaker bar start bend and stay bended after. Than I took different bar 1/2 and my extension just snap. The tools was not china it was USA made.

After i decided to make my tool for axle nut - on off

This is my first post, and I don't know if picture of the tool is gonna work)

My socket had to diameters. Breaker bar side was smaller. I found the steel pipe that fit my socket inside, than I welded it to the socket. On the other side of the pipe I drilled the hole through the whole pipe, maybe 2 inches from the end. Enlarged the hole up to 7/8. Also used die grinder for enlarging in the end, because big drill bits is the pain. I used the long enough pipe because it have to be supported by jack stand or something. Than I inserted 7/8 hardened bar (don't have to be long) and put long pipe over bar. It was very easy to remove the nut, and no more broken tools - most important).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2252.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	878.3 KB
ID:	80097  
Michael99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Ill stick with my impact wrench lol
and if your breaking extensions and breaker bars which I do all the time its time to heat that nut with a torch
Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

20 Pc 3/4 in. Drive Metric Jumbo Heavy Duty Socket Set

$57.99 less the 20% coupon that's available year round, you're looking at about $50 with tax, depending on what your local sales tax rate is.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ingenuity...just saying that for $50 you can buy hand tools that make the job possible for pretty much any import vehicle

An impact wrench makes quick work of it as well, especially if you have a decent gun and a heavy duty compressor...don't even have to bend the tab on the nut out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 DDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Old 6 ft iron pipe does it for me

Stock internals
Ramhorn
Mystery Master power turbo(supposedly super 60)
Dsm 450 injectors
Walbro 255
10 psi
Intercooled!
Tuned on Crome

I always forget to say what setup i have so here it is
DDream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Michael99 is learning the way of the DMichael99 is learning the way of the D

For most cases with small honda civic - 1/2 tools is overkill, except axle nut and maybe crank pulley. Buy 3/4 set require extra storage,organization and funds. I like to use my tool. Same socket factory fabrication I used with my grandfather to bolt up or take of tractor wheels, there was like 15 nuts around) maybe more. And we used solid 1'' bar and 6 feet long bar for that. The size of nut was maybe 46mm I guess. Air gun is useless in this case to brake it lose. Or you will use some monster air gun )))
Thats why I made similar setup and its work great for me.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Not sure what you mean by useless? Like stated above, don't even have to unstake it.

The air gun has high pressure at short intervals. Similar to how ABS works in that sense. (Reason why it doesnt even matter if brakes are on or not).

Hardest part with your method is not having the wheels locked very well. (If the car is completely in the air)

Also my Craftsmsn 1/2 can handle a beating. I bought a 3' "cheater pipe" and have used it on anything thus far...

Not trying to bash you or anything, just my 2 cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...

Last edited by Mr.Fodo; 01-16-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 03:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Sure that air gun is very useful, I mean in case with 46mm nut from my tractorn. Because it's like you want to try remove lug nuts on civic with Makita cordless 18 volt impact )))
Old 01-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Leverage is your friend. Work smarter, not harder. If you are trying to work on any car with just a 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet/socket set, I'm sorry.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

I actually would rather use 1/2 inch over 3/8 but that's me. and I have sheared a half inch breaker bar with no cheater pipe by hand on an axle nut. sure, air tools are awesome, but Im too lazy to drag out 50' of hose, turn the pump on, wait for it to fill, and brap brap brap for 30 seconds until its time to fill the tank.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
I actually would rather use 1/2 inch over 3/8 but that's me. and I have sheared a half inch breaker bar with no cheater pipe by hand on an axle nut. sure, air tools are awesome, but Im too lazy to drag out 50' of hose, turn the pump on, wait for it to fill, and brap brap brap for 30 seconds until its time to fill the tank.
That's why you keep the tank full.

...and don't you go lecturing me on the don'ts!

IT"S MY BODY DAMMIT
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
And that's why Nelson sheared a bolt head when tightening the door hinges. 1/2 breaker bar on a 10mm?

"That's unnecessary" -Gambino (chorus starts at 0:57 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/ttubsUWgZg4)

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Cheater pipe doesnt always win. Usually its some combination of Air, cheater piper and heat that gets things loose, I had a 3/4 breaker bar and a 30 mm axle nut socket trying to remove an axle nut on a Grand Caravan that was nearly permanently frozen. I added 5' of black pipe to the mix and even standing and bouncing on it I couldnt get it to get free. I finally resorted to get a second impact gun (More power arrr arrr arrgh!) and got the sob free.
angrysmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

My DeWalt cordless impact seems to break axle nuts loose with no problem. :

But certainly props for ingenuitousness.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!

I find that a jerking motion helps instead of steady pressure when I do axle nuts with a breaker bar.

I changed the axles On my old winter eg ,I had a bitch of a time ,,10ft long cheater bar my Bro pushing on the brakes and I'm standing on the bar ,one finally came loose after some jumping the other had to be cut off.

did I mention it was up hill both way's, -40 ,in french ,and it was night time.
robgoof is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to colelmt

I use an Impact (air) personally. But have used breaker bar with no problem (Name brand 1/2 breaker bar and Name Brand sockets)....

Thanks for sharing the concept though. Way to solve your problem with ingenuity!

D16Z6

EJ255

colelmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 12:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

If you can't get the axle nut off with some penetrating oil and a 24" breaker bar your doing it wrong. As in you didn't undo the axle nut stake right which is why it won't turn.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 05:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm gonna buy a 3/4 drive impact gun. Nothing beats them from removing crank pulley bolts.

Last edited by grayzee; 01-19-2015 at 05:16 AM.
grayzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 05:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
I find that a jerking motion helps instead of steady pressure

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
If you can't get the axle nut off with some penetrating oil and a 24" breaker bar your doing it wrong. As in you didn't undo the axle nut stake right which is why it won't turn.
If your talking to me , I take it you have never worked on a 23 year old car that has seen 23 quebec winters ...

I know how to remove axles...
robgoof is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
On the contrary ... I believe that's what he said.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in