Back yard straight edge - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 04:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
Talking Back yard straight edge

I know not everyone has a machinist straight edge in with the tools they own.

This is not the most accurate check But it should be close enough to help you decide if a MLS will seal or the block needs to come out and me milled flat.

Tools needed
20" or longer extension, 1/2 preferred.
Decent set of feeler gauges
.0015, .002, .0025, .003

Sharpie marker

A good know flat item, a piece of glass or mom's glass top table work best.

Pull out the .0015 feeler gauge.

Lay the extension on the glass, make sure the square drive end hangs off the edge.

Take the feeler gauge, and check the extension for bow.
Spin the extension until you can not get the .0015 feeler gauge under it.

Once the feeler gauge will not go under the extension, take the sharpie marker and mark the top.

You are now read to check your block, head, intake mani or anything else you need for warp.

For Head gaskets
MLS if the .0015/.002 slides under, get the part milled, or go to a composite
Composite, if a .003 or more slides under, get part milled.

About any flange with a warp of .005 or more, needs closer inspection, and a good chance of being milled
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Useful tip. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

damn it i could have used this about two months ago, instead i bought some straight edges for a guitar from greece and it worked. great write up anyways thanks

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

I just dont understand why you mark the .0015 spot with a sharpie?
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....

or buy a square from harbor freight for 5 bucks lol
Old 01-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 faildata will become famous soon enoughfaildata will become famous soon enoughfaildata will become famous soon enough

I'd bet the extension method is more accurate than a HF item
faildata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
Ya why not just this lol. Im sure it has to be pretty damn straight but is something like that usable?
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

As a glassworker I can tell you a slight flaw here.

If the glass piece used has been tempered then 9 times out of 10 the tempering process causes the glass to bend and distort slightly...

Regular float glass will be perfectly flat, but I wouldn't trust a tempered piece for a head or block.

Telling them apart is very difficult, but tempered glass "should" have a stamp on it (its the rules.) With a pair of polarized glasses on, you can try to look at a corner and see if there are dark "burn marks" in the glass, this is a sure way to know that a piece is tempered, but you kinda need to know what you're looking for.

Last edited by 89s1; 01-15-2015 at 07:24 PM.
89s1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 04:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwbr View Post
I just dont understand why you mark the .0015 spot with a sharpie?
Most long extensions have some sort of bow to them, all you are doing is trying to find the straightest part of the extension to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
That will work too, I would still advise to check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwbr View Post
Ya why not just this lol. Im sure it has to be pretty damn straight but is something like that usable?
Yes it is, and the glass insert from the end table is too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89s1 View Post
As a glassworker I can tell you a slight flaw here.

If the glass piece used has been tempered then 9 times out of 10 the tempering process causes the glass to bend and distort slightly...

Regular float glass will be perfectly flat, but I wouldn't trust a tempered piece for a head or block.

Telling them apart is very difficult, but tempered glass "should" have a stamp on it (its the rules.) With a pair of polarized glasses on, you can try to look at a corner and see if there are dark "burn marks" in the glass, this is a sure way to know that a piece is tempered, but you kinda need to know what you're looking for.
That I did not know.

Some of the how tos I do write are for the DIY'er, so I try to find common things that are common around the house.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in