Dropped valve head repair - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
Talking Dropped valve head repair

Dropped Valve Head Repair

The Subject head is a 1G 6 bolt head.
This head had extensive work done to it and would cost way more to replace than repair.

The head was loaded with SuperTech +1mm valves, and duel valve springs and Ti retainers.

How the head looked when I received it.

A closer look at #4 cylinder, the one that dropped the valve.

Yes it looks pretty beat. But it is fixable.

First thing to do is disassemble the head and get a parts list going.
At first look, I thought the 4 valves in the #4 cylinder would be the only ones needing replaced.
It turned out only 4 valves of the 16 could be used.

The SuperTech duel springs and Ti retainers tested fine and will be used. About half of the Ti retainers had be rubbed on.

At this time it was decided to install bronze guides, to replace the stock appearing cast iron guides.

The bronze guides installed.

Once the head was cleaned, a couple small cracks were found in #1 cylinder.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 04:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!

The seats were cut out

Then the head was pressure tested, using 35psi in the water jacket.
The head did not leak.
So work progressed by removing the 4 seats in #4 cylinder.

New counter bores were cut, and oversized inserts were installed.

Some grinding, polishing and blending was done to smooth out some of the damaged area in the combustion chamber.

Next was to mark the spots to be welded.

What it looked like once back from the welder.

Also to note is the spark plug inserts were installed in cylinders #1 and #4 before welding.

From this point a bit more blending was done to smooth out the welds and a full valve job was performed.

As the seats were cut,

Valve tip height was checked and set to the proper specs.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Spring installed height was measured and set to 1.550 @ 85lbs

New 3g HLAs were installed, along with the followers and cams.

Bottom of the head.

Close up of #4 cylinder after repair.

Head thickness after repair and rebuild. 5.159
Head build # BBB 744

Old 12-30-2014, 04:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....AlanInFlipFlops It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I'm always impressed by what a machine shop/machinist can do. Well done!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

how much did all of that cost the end user?
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
how much did all of that cost the end user?
I honestly do not remember, I did that head a couple years ago, I want to say around $600..A replacement head from the company that first did it would have been around $2000
Old 12-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
I honestly do not remember, I did that head a couple years ago, I want to say around $600..A replacement head from the company that first did it would have been around $2000
That was going to be my question, but a $1400 difference is enough to warrant salvaging.

So, I recently paid $300 for a bore (.020), hone, deck (.010), mill (.010), and lapping on a 16v head/valves.

You did all of those repairs above for just twice that. Which one was too cheap? lol
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD

Last edited by LowFlyin'; 12-30-2014 at 07:56 AM.
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Low, This is kind of my mantra... Not all shops are equipped the same, and pricing varies across the country.

But for what you had done, I would have been in the ball park, but a few dollars higher. I do not just lap valves, I would have cut the valve seats.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Now that you mention it, I think I used the wrong term. I'm pretty sure they cut the valve seats and valves.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
DIY Guru

fair enough then. Or they may have been ground. there are a few different ways a valve job can be done.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Spring installed height was measured and set to 1.550 @ 85lbs

New 3g HLAs were installed, along with the followers and cams.

Bottom of the head.

Close up of #4 cylinder after repair.

Head thickness after repair and rebuild. 5.159
Head build # BBB 744
Dat quench! Awesome write up
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
DIY Guru

The quench is lost when you see the bowl dish of the pistons.
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
ouch, good to know if my s2k ever drops a valve
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Shoebox.. I have done one of those before.. Was a fun head to build, Did the Mod Valve job on it and some runner port work. The Guy came back a few weeks later and was all grinz and he smoked the tires down the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in