B-series starter on D-series box - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Icarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY B-series starter on D-series box

OK!

So you might be thinking why would I do this?

Firstly my beloved D-series reduction starter motor got locked into the fly wheel and blew up. It beyond repair. My Bad.

In general any rebuilt starter her would cost about 100 to 200 USD
Its just cheaper to go 2nd hand.

D-series reduction 65 USD
B-series reduction 55 USD

Tools used:
Dremel
Vice
14 spanner
Honda stater motor bolts(D-series)
Honda S40 bell house
File

I live far from the importers and was dumb enough to forget a sample and bought a B-series starter. My bad again.

So yes sometimes dumb things happen because of stupid mistakes. Oh well...

And so a friend of mine said to me he just makes them fit so I decided instead of returning the B-series starter for a D-series starter I would make the B-series one fit.

I thought to do a write up in case this helps out anyone.

Here is my blown up D-series starter next to my moded B-series starter.

This is the left over bits of my D-series starter on left over bit of an old D-series S40 box. Same box currently in my car.

Here is the D-series starter mounted in the box fly wheel side.

For comparison here is the B-series one in the D-series box (No bolts)

Shave this bolt a touch with a file. Don't go mad.

Shave the lower "ear" on the corner on the side facing the gearbox.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Icarus; 12-28-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Icarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to all

Now with the Dremel cut the "ear" holes. But make sure you know where to cut by checking it on the gearbox. This can be very time consuming as I did a lot of checking as I did not want to remove metal that did not have to be removed.

One also has to shave into the angles bit on the upper ear to make the bolt sit flat on the starter.

When you are done and done it right it should looks like this.

In the box mounted!

Miss matching bits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Icarus; 12-28-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

reserved

Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

Do the two starters have the same number of teeth? Do they extend the same amount when engaged? If it extends too much it might hit the block, if not enough it might not engage the flywheel.

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCHONDACRX91 View Post
Do the two starters have the same number of teeth? Do they extend the same amount when engaged? If it extends too much it might hit the block, if not enough it might not engage the flywheel.
yes same number of teeth and the "kick" length is the same.

I have found the "gearbox/reduction" part is identical in both D and B series starters. I could swap them.

The teeth on the starter "big motor" are the same as the D-series (bit that fits into the main gearbox/ reduction bit)

Bearings are also the same that fit into the housing.

Housings are similar but not compatible.

Sorry I don't know the terminology for this but will update it as I go. So far so good

Old 12-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

Good post thanks for sharing
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
yes same number of teeth and the "kick" length is the same.

I have found the "gearbox/reduction" part is identical in both D and B series starters. I could swap them.

The teeth on the starter "big motor" are the same as the D-series (bit that fits into the main gearbox/ reduction bit)

Bearings are also the same that fit into the housing.

Housings are similar but not compatible.

Sorry I don't know the terminology for this but will update it as I go. So far so good
Good points! I always wondered why every Honda sounds the same when you start them! hehe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Good points! I always wondered why every Honda sounds the same when you start them! hehe.
ah!

I have found most reduction starter motors are imports only for us.

If you got a 96-2000 B18 or B16 (or D17 not sure about the newer stuff, honda cutting corners with the Jazz/Fit though non reduction there too) it would come with a reduction starter motor.
(FYI We only saw VTEC in B16 from from 96 so no D-series vtec. Thats only import too )

We got a locally made Bosch starter on most of our Ballades (civic only came in 96 whoopdiedoo) which is non reduction.

It did not give straight cut gear high pitched noise like what you may be thinking of. Booo

The reduction noise have been dubbed "The VTEC sound"

Last edited by Icarus; 12-28-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

When are we gonna start collecting and recording this shit?

Hondawiki.org?

It royally pisses me off this stuff is getting lost in the wind.

Best opportunity any car guys have had and generation of wasteful shits.

This is Incredible Redneck Engineering far under respected.

Last edited by TheToaster; 01-01-2015 at 08:03 PM.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 01:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post

Hondawiki.org?

Not sure what you getting at?

Just trying to help out anyone with a starter "issue".

Old 01-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I'm saying you're a damn genius and I wish things like this were recorded in a more formal environment.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
I'm saying you're a damn genius and I wish things like this were recorded in a more formal environment.
Thank you sir.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:

Hondawiki.org?

And when the great archivers move on or pass away???

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in