1990 5.0 mustang LX auto cranks but won't start. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 1990 5.0 mustang LX auto cranks but won't start.

I have a 1990 mustang that up to about a week ago ran perfect. My battery took a crap so I put another one in it. Now here's the problem, as soon as I put the battery in and hop in the car I turn the key on and notice that the fuel pump relay under the seat keeps clicking and now the car won't start. So trying to diagnose the problem my self I start replacing parts. Parts replaced- relay under the seat, distributor cap and rotor, coil, tfi module, fuel filter. Still problem not solved. I haven't replaced the fuel pump because I'm sure it still works because I can hear it and has pressure at the fuel rail. Something else I noticed was that I have spark at the coil to the distributor cap but no spark at the plugs. Please help!!
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

Ok first... Why did you bring and no less join a HONDA fourm, when you have a FORD Mustang?!?!?!? There are tons of fourms that cover both Fords in general and Mustangs specifically.

But I would suggest a new Dizzy... sounds like the PIP module or the coil in the dizzy has gone bad.
And no, it is not the same kind of coil that that you have replaced, this is a small one under the reluctor.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
Ok first... Why did you bring and no less join a HONDA fourm, when you have a FORD Mustang?!?!?!? There are tons of fourms that cover both Fords in general and Mustangs specifically.

But I would suggest a new Dizzy... sounds like the PIP module or the coil in the dizzy has gone bad.
And no, it is not the same kind of coil that that you have replaced, this is a small one under the reluctor.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Ok so would the dizzy cause the relay to click nonstop with the key on? That's for the reply. Must have gotten the forums mixed up somewhere.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

"Thanks"
Old 12-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!

Yep sure will.

BTW, if the TFI is not a true "Motorcraft" one, get one and install it, even the pick n pull used one is better than the BWD or wells. The timing map in the parts store one sucks and pulls too much timing.

But this is a Honda fourm... so what do I know??

<<<--- If my name makes sense.. you will do as I suggest
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Ok. Thanks a lot. I will give that a try. Is the part I need called a dizzy or is there a technical name for it.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Dizzy is fourm speak for distributor

Also since you did not know what I was speaking of, please go join a Ford or mustang fourm

Use the search and and read up on how to change/swap/R&R the distributor

It is not quite a drop and go deal

Last edited by BogusSVO; 12-23-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

lol, merry xmas to the fam....

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

trollin!
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2014, 03:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

lol
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 05:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

my question is does it crank or not? because if he installed the battery backwards........ that will make a lot of things click.....
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I am sure the guy who owns a fake SVO mustang knows what he is talking about, but before you go crazy make sure the terminals are on the right posts on the battery, and make sure the connections are good on the batter terminals and where they attach, especially the ground wires.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Joel.... If you look at the list of parts he has already thrown at it you can see he really wants to spend money and do the "shotgun" method of repair.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I want a late 80's mustang body on a early 90's 4x4 bronco frame with a chevy 454 in it.

Oh and don't just assume you have enough fuel pressure throw a gauge on that bitch and find out takes like 5 min!
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Joel.... If you look at the list of parts he has already thrown at it you can see he really wants to spend money and do the "shotgun" method of repair.
What do you know "fake SVO" lol?

Have you ever tried building a bird house with a shotgun?

Just noticed the back-handed "Thanks"

This is even posted in the wrong location. sigh

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
DIY Guru

BogusSVO or RangerSVO... the build for a beater is about the same.. lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4468.JPG
Views:	1096
Size:	711.6 KB
ID:	79305

I miss that old rust bucket!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

This isn't a real thread guys. Move along.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
BogusSVO or RangerSVO... the build for a beater is about the same.. lol

Attachment 79305

I miss that old rust bucket!
The 2.3 turbo was a fun engine at the time. My brother had a Merkur XR4Ti, was kinda like an overweight Cadillac version of the SVO, and even it was pretty fun. I am sure the lighter version was a blast. If I remember right some state used them as highway patrol cars even though they didnt have a back seat. Basically police interceptors that had to call in a crown vic for backup if they needed to arrest anyone.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
DIY Guru

The old 2.3T is a heavy pig, but damn durable, Ford did a few things right with it, factory forged pistons and Inconal faced exhaust valves.

I had 3 Xr's at one point. damn funky rubber doughnut drive shaft bushing and a weak 5 speed mixed with an ECU that a 2 dollar digital watch has more computing power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in