How to lighten a stock cast iron flywheel - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
Exclamation How to lighten a stock cast iron flywheel

How to lighten a stock cast iron flywheel

Start with your stock flywheel, In my case, 2.3L Turbo Ford

Its weighs in at 20.5Lbs

Lets see how much weight can be cut off….

Next is to remove the clutch plate alignment pins….

A slide hammer works well

Mount the flywheel upside down, on the flywheel grinder

Start buy cutting the excess cast iron down to the ring gear..

Once that was flush, I weighed the flywheel again, that reduced the weight by .75 lbs (12 oz) now 19.75 lbs

Time to thin the fat from behind the ring gear…

each pass, this machine cuts only .005-.008 off…

the final weight is now 17.75 Lbs

I removed a total of 2.75lbs…. This should help the engine rev a bit faster, with out giving up too much torque..
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Thoughts on speed holes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!

If it is what I am thinking, just holes thu the clutch disc mating surface of the flywheel. I am not much for them. It lessens the surface contact area. so you loose contact area and can slip the clutch easier.

I am sure there is an equation that would allow you to calculate just how much surface area is needed to hold torque and HP

Now add into the strength of cast iron and how brittle it is when compared to a street lite moly flywheel or an aluminum flywheel and it becomes a hazard from the weaking of a cast iron flywheel coming apart at a given RPM

Old 12-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
If it is what I am thinking, just holes thu the clutch disc mating surface of the flywheel. I am not much for them. It lessens the surface contact area. so you loose contact area and can slip the clutch easier.

I am sure there is an equation that would allow you to calculate just how much surface area is needed to hold torque and HP

Now add into the strength of cast iron and how brittle it is when compared to a street lite moly flywheel or an aluminum flywheel and it becomes a hazard from the weaking of a cast iron flywheel coming apart at a given RPM
What about speed dimples? If you were to start holes (on the side that the clutch doesn't mate to) and not go all the way through would that be useful? I was just kinda thinking that one might not want to make the flywheel too thin overall, so could you (in theory) make the dimples once you reached a certain thickness that you didn't want to go under, without compromising the structural integrity too much? You could keep a full face on the the clutch side to maintain the grip surface an potentially get a few more ounces off.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Yes you could do something like that. But with how affordable moly and aluminum flywhees are the question comes to why?

Even with all that work you will still be heavier than a moly street lite flywheel.

If it a case of DIY bragging rights, Ok I can get that too.

But I would not want to pay a shop to do all that work, good chance is overall is you would spend more cash than just buying a new moly flywheel.

The only case I could see investing this much time and money in a stock cast iron flywheel is for some sort of "Stock appearing" class racing.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

No one is checking flywheels at a track last time I checked. But fidanzas can be found pretty cheap.

I could see this beneficial for a model of car which has little aftermarket support.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I wouldn't want to take to much from directly behind the clutch surface because of heat sink capacity. Its like having drilled rotors. may work for some but not for others. Now I like me a turbo ford....... had a 85 turbo coupe. what was left of it at least. but it had the 7.5 rear with the 9inch brakes with the quad shocks....
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
Yes you could do something like that. But with how affordable moly and aluminum flywhees are the question comes to why?

Even with all that work you will still be heavier than a moly street lite flywheel.

If it a case of DIY bragging rights, Ok I can get that too.

But I would not want to pay a shop to do all that work, good chance is overall is you would spend more cash than just buying a new moly flywheel.

The only case I could see investing this much time and money in a stock cast iron flywheel is for some sort of "Stock appearing" class racing.
I was speaking in a more general sense of flywheel lightening than directly to this specific example.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
DIY Guru

I get where you are going, I would have to say it would be a rare instance where the aftermarket did not have one.

I do some old school machining from time to time just because I can

This was one of those times
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in