How to replace a seat in an Aluminum Head - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
Talking How to replace a seat in an Aluminum Head

How to replace a seat in an Aluminum Head

The head being worked on is a 2002 Ford Focus 2.0l SOHC
This style of head, the “split port” Intake
I have seen this as a common problem.

The first step is to mount and level the head into the head shop.
(I am using a TnS 2000 Head Shop)
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 06:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!

The next step is setting 90* carbide cutter to a smaller diameter than the original seat counter bore. Appox. .006-.012 smaller

Here you can see where the intake seat fell out of #3 Clyinder and “pebblized” and beat up in the quench areas of the combustion chamber.
A quick touch up with a die grinder to smooth and remove the burs. All the damage was inside the fire ring, So head gasket sealing will not be an issue.

Now we cut out the remaining intake seats, I am a firm believer, if one has fallen out, the chance is too great for one of the other three to fall out. The cost is also reasonable.

Now once the seat has be shelled out, take a small flat blade screwdriver and pry and/or chip the shell of the remaining seat out.

This is will be about what is left.

These are the new seats, they are larger OD and smaller ID and have a greater depth then the OE seats.

To fit the new seats in the head, I have to cut new counter bores. This will insure a round counter bore and the proper press fit. Between .005-.007

Here the seat depth is set, I like to have a minimum depth of .220, and these seats will go in to appox. .260-.270.
The hard stop will make sure I will not exceed the maximum depth of .300
Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Most aluminum heads like to tear and not cut with a smooth finish. I few squirts of oil will help the cutting, along with a faster cutter speed.

How the new counter bore looks after machining

Next is to knock in the seat inserts. Use the proper sized driver and a large hammer.
After all the seats are knocked in, the head must be re-leveled before any more machine work can be done.

Next is to set seat placement on the valve.
Where the point touches, is where the top of the valve to seat contact area will be on the valve face.

Now with that locked down, put the guide pilot in the setting fixture and then slide the cutter over it. Now the bit holder gets moved in or out as needed to achieve where contact will be made.

A test cut is made on the new seat, and contact area is checked by dying the valve face and spinning the valve on the seat. Placement was great here, center of the valve face.

Now seat placement has been set, I have to set the seat depth so proper valve tip height is achieved.

now all that is set, the rest of the valve job will be completed, cut the exhaust seats. Valves will be loaded into the casting, new seals installed, spring pressures checked, springs, retainers, and valve locks installed, a vacuum check for seal of seat and valve. Now it will be ready to be bolted back on.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

your threads are fantastic. I never knew how this was done.

also that ford head looks like an ancient relic compared to even late 80's honda head design
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 06:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Thats the point to most my threads, to show how some of the work is done in a machine shop.

Not all shops are equipped the same, But there has not been that much change in some equipment since the early 1960 as far as rod machines go, and some crank grinders.

The main things to check in a shop are the head shop in use, the surfacer and the balancing equipment.

There have been great advances in boring machines and hones too. But IMHO an older boring bar in good shape will still bore a straight hole, Now as far as installing the MID/Golden eagle sleeves, the older machines will never come close to doing a proper job.

That head casting was used into the early 2000's and are still in use, I see them a few times a year still.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

good stuff!
robgoof is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I love the write up, only wish the pictures were better as to see the detail in what you're doing.

Keep it up
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 cticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 46 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cticknor666

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
I love the write up, only wish the pictures were better as to see the detail in what you're doing.

Keep it up
cticknor666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
DIY Guru

I know I know....

I have a better camera now, and have learned the macro mode
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in