How to final wash an engine block - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
Talking How to final wash an engine block

How to final wash an Engine Block

You just picked up your block from the machine shop, and your ready to build your engine.
The block may look clean, but it is not.
It still has grim and grit from machining in it.

It is up to you as the builder to final wash the block.

First gather together what you will need to clean the block.
Lint free paper towels, WD-40 , a good degreaser and a can of brake cleaner.

Now find a place to wash the block, a table or engine stand will be fine to use.

Now spray the degreaser all over the block, take good care to get the inside of the block and cylinder walls.
Let the degreaser work for 15 to 30 minutes, Do NOT let the block dry, reapply as needed.
Now spay the block down with clean water till the water runs clear.

Now quickly blow the cylinders and main bearing saddle surfaces dry with compressed air.

Now spray WD-40 in the cylinders and main bearing saddle surfaces to prevent rust.

Now spin the block around and spray brake cleaner into the oil galleys, I would recommend that any oil galley plugs be removed for this step if they were not at the machine shop. Just make sure to install them back.

At this point, take compressed air and blow through all the oil galleys,

main and head bolt holes.

Last edited by BogusSVO; 01-09-2015 at 05:10 AM.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!

Repeat till all signs of grit and old oil is removed.
Now take a couple paper towels and fold into and spray WD-40 on them, soaking them well.

Now wipe the cylinders down

Look at the paper towel now. This is hone stone grit and rust. Leaving this in the cylinders can cause issues with the rings glazing and not sealing.

Keep flipping and folding the paper towel and soaking with WD-40 until the paper towel comes back out clean!!

Now look in the corners inside the block and in general give the block a good look over for anything missed.

Make sure any oil galley plugs that were removed are replaced.

You can not get your block too clean!!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Good info.
whats this "oomph" tho?
and this isnt a Honda block it has oil squirts at the bottom of the cylinders. what is it out of and do those help with oilying the cylinders better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Good info.
whats this "oomph" tho?
and this isnt a Honda block it has oil squirts at the bottom of the cylinders. what is it out of and do those help with oilying the cylinders better?
OOmph is just a purple soap, like purple power or super clean.

The block is a 2ZZ Toyota engine, the squirters help cool the pistons from under side of the piston.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
OOmph is just a purple soap, like purple power or super clean.

The block is a 2ZZ Toyota engine, the squirters help cool the pistons from under side of the piston.
Thats cool. I seen them used on some over motors making alot of hp from factory. Just never knew if it was really adding anything worth wild.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
DIY Guru

yes a fair amount of engines have them installed from the factory.

Nissan SR20DET, RB26
Mitsubishi 4g63 DSM & EVO, 4BT11, 6G72
Are just a few I can think of off the top my head
Old 12-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

B18C1 has oil squirters
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 faildata will become famous soon enoughfaildata will become famous soon enoughfaildata will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

K20s also if I remember right
faildata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

I could swear my b16a2 had oil squirters in it. I even plugged them with the GE kit.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh666 View Post
I could swear my b16a2 had oil squirters in it. I even plugged them with the GE kit.
Maybe not an A2, but the JDM B16A block in my garage has them. Surprised Biggie and I.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Take note n00bs, this is a proper DIY. Nice write up.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
...*Snip Snip*

...*Snip Snip*
Interesting. Are those valve clearance cuts in the sleeve? Is that stock? I want to see pics of the head, haven't seen that yet...

|

#

!
Quote:
How
to act on this forum...
Old 12-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Yes they are valve clearances. From the factory too.

Ill check and see if I have the head around. or one like it.

I wrote this up a few years back, so that engine has been long gone, last I heard it had Nitrous and a super charger on it.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Let me guess.... A 5 valve head?

|

#

!
Quote:
How
to act on this forum...
Old 12-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Nope, just a basic 4valve DOHC engine.

really nothing all that super sonic about it.

VW/Audi are about the only 5v heads I can think of in gas burning form, there are some diesels that run that configuration.

The 2ZZ is used in the Celica GT, but Toyota also had a 1ZZ and Scion used one called the 1AE(?) in the TC All very similar, most had to do with VVT. All 3 use the same timing chain and gear set, so you had to make sure you used the right timing makes for the engine code.

Last edited by BogusSVO; 12-15-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Damn I lose.

Idk if you're talking about the same motor (you didn't mention if you were referring to the 5-valve-ness or the valve notched sleeves), but this is a 5-valve toyota head (bottom):

Source: Comparing 20v Silvertop with MIVEC Blacktop ~ Car Enthusiast: Car Modification | DIY | 2ZZGE,4AGE,4G93T,JBJL,4G13,4G15

Anyway, the notches seemed to be formed for the outer 2 valves since they seem to have less outer cylinder space than the middle valve...

|

#

!
Quote:
How
to act on this forum...
Old 12-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Well enough.

I do not recall ever having the 5V toyota head in my hands. But good info to know there is one out there.

The 3 engines I spoke of are all 4V DOHC engines and in the same family, IIRC all have the notched sleeves.

BTW Pontiac notched the the block for the valves on some of the smaller displacement V8s
Old 12-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Toyota's 4age motor is 5 valves per cylinder.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Only the 4ageLU is 5 valves per cylinder.

Regular 4ages are 16 valve, not 20. Including the supercharged 4agze.
yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Most 4ages are only 16 valves.

Only the 4ageLU has 20 valves, 5 per cylinder
yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in