How I put D17 ignition on my D16 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 rabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default How I put D17 ignition on my D16

I've been doing this for many years and I haven't really done a write up on it. The way I do things are probably the opposite of "bolt on."

I started in megasquirt about 10 years ago. I like the hard core diy community there. Coil on plug mods are more common these days but it was 2008 and I do my own thing. I didn't do this for performance; just to get rid of the distributor and as a fun project.

Here are some pics of the first running trigger wheel setup.
PICT1261 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
PICT1807 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Here is the D17 setup for comparison. There are four TDC teeth and one cylinder 1 trigger. Honda uses the crank for rpm and these five teeth on the cam for timing the spark and injection. Megasquirt does support this setup now.
PICT1249 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

My early prototype used a crank sensor from a D16y7 which is a vr type. The D17 engine uses hall sensors. The vr type create a signwave like signal and the hall make a 5 volt digital signal. The vr sensor creates a very low voltage when the teeth are moving slowly and it had to be put very close to the teeth to overcome the noise at cranking. Once at high rpm it would hit upwards of 800 volts! Crazy but the megasquirt didn't care.

I upgraded the cam and needed an adjustable pulley.
IMG_20121126_204436 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
IMG_20121126_204504 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
IMG_20121126_204533 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
IMG_20121216_171314 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
IMG_20121219_213613 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
rabid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 rabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eagle

So then I set my engine on fire... https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ne-fire-2.html
It was time to change to the hall sensor type. Hall sensors don't care how slow the engine is cranking it will still read the rpm with the same 5 volt output as 8000rpm.

The D17 for reference
20140927_142319 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
20140927_142513 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

I bench tested two different hall sensors. One generic honeywell and a stock D17 cam sensor.
20141008_203457 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

I went with the honda sensor because it fit better. Go figure. Here is the adapter plate. You can't see it but the other end is attached to that little I shaped part sticking out of the head. Also there was a lot of glue involved.
20141019_164236 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Lots of wiring.
20141110_175419 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
Old 12-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Here is a pic showing the difference between vr and hall style signal.
PICT1255 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Old 12-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Here I scoped the stock D17 ignition coil to find out the "dwell" time of 2.5ms.
PICT1279 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
Old 12-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

An old setup on my civic. The bolts holding the coils down are drilled right through the cover and sealed with honda bond.
PICT1930 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

The cluster fsck that is my ecu.
20140129_175626 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
Old 12-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

that ms enclosure sure looks busy.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

When I see these done right it fools me how simple it looks, then I see what goes into making it work and I am amazed any one does this. Looks rad though man, I would love a coil on setup some day on my civic. Had it on my volvo and I can see the benefits if I was FI, or tuning for a performance NA setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
When I see these done right it fools me how simple it looks, then I see what goes into making it work and I am amazed any one does this. Looks rad though man, I would love a coil on setup some day on my civic. Had it on my volvo and I can see the benefits if I was FI, or tuning for a performance NA setup.
Well there are bolt on ways of doing it that take the work out of it. They are spendy. This cost me less than $150 to do the mod. But it was a lot of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in